Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Race Engine Preference 355 or Carb'd LS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Road Race Engine Preference 355 or Carb'd LS3

What would be a better engine set-up for strictly a road-race car;

A ZZ-4 355 track engine

or

A carbureted LS3 with Edelbrock manifold and MSD controller box

(Please give reasons!!!)

*Need to know the "safe" operating RPMs for each motor?
*Need to know if the stock LS3 oil pan is safe to use for track use?
*How effective/worthwhile is a dry sump system?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

In 2007 and 2008 we road raced a GTA type stock car with a SCHWANKE RACING ENGINES carbureted LS1 (650 Holley) with the MSD 6LS controller. The car was a race winner, the motor dyno'd at 495 HP and 434 lbs ft torque. The motor was bullet proof right up until the time it swallowed a screw out of the carb.

This car ran right at 180 mph at Daytona, and cut a 2:15.8 lap at Sebring 12 hr course.

The ZZ4 would not perform anywhere near the range of an LS1, LS2,LS3, or LS6 version of the above.

Schwanke has some excellent short and long block versions at reasonable prices.

We shifted the LS1 at 6800, it had eagle rods and Mahle pistons.

With stock rods and rod bolts, probably about 6500 to be safe.

Our ASA series type oiling system was excellent. It used the stock oil pump for pressure and a RAZOR pump for scavenge. The pan was by Moroso. Never had a problem with it.

Some of the T-1 racers could probably answer the question about wet sump LS3 pan. Might need an accusump for extra insurance.

Last edited by bosco022; 11-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
In 2007 and 2008 we road raced a GTA type stock car with a SCHWANKE RACING ENGINES carbureted LS1 (650 Holley) with the MSD 6LS controller. The car was a race winner, the motor dyno'd at 495 HP and 434 lbs ft torque. The motor was bullet proof right up until the time it swallowed a screw out of the carb.

This car ran right at 180 mph at Daytona, and cut a 2:15.8 lap at Sebring 12 hr course.

The ZZ4 would not perform anywhere near the range of an LS1, LS2,LS3, or LS6 version of the above.

Schwanke has some excellent short and long block versions at reasonable prices.

We shifted the LS1 at 6800, it had eagle rods and Mahle pistons.

With stock rods and rod bolts, probably about 6500 to be safe.

Our ASA series type oiling system was excellent. It used the stock oil pump for pressure and a RAZOR pump for scavenge. The pan was by Moroso. Never had a problem with it.

Some of the T-1 racers could probably answer the question about wet sump LS3 pan. Might need an accusump for extra insurance.
fantastic write up!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ls3 would be better in all regards over a zz4. it makes more power, its lighter both in overall weight and rotating weight, it is sealed up better so less worries of oil leaks, less frictional losses and it's more compact. of course if your budget and rules allow a dry sump would be best for either engine.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Bosco022

Is this the pan you mentioned???

Is this made for Road Racing or just drags???

Thanks!

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/new_products.asp
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

NO....THAT IS NOT THE PAN.

The pan I use is the one that Moroso made for the ASA/Delco Series, it is not as deep. The system is kinda half and half, dry sump and stock pressure. They probably had a short production run of those, but could probably still make you one. A.R.E. makes a similar aluminum pan that I believe is even better for not much more money. It is pretty much a direct replacement for the ASA Moroso. They also make some nice full dry sump pans that have been used on the Daytona Prototypes and the like.

I may have a second moroso pan soon as am picking up another old ASA motor. Might be willing to sell it, to go to the shallower A.R.E.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSIDER AN LS MOTOR FOR YOU APPLICATION, EITHER CARB'D OR EFI.
I have been told by highly respected engine builders who have been instrumental in the development of these motors that they can be good for up to 3 to 4 times more laps than a conventional small block before needing freshening. It doesn't have to be LS3, take a look at the LS2 and LS6 variants by some of the engine builders who support this board, they have some very affordable options.

Last edited by bosco022; 11-04-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

What's this going into?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One very big advantage of an LS motor over a Gen I small block is the gaskets that are used in the LS motors. Almost all of the gaskets on the LS are reuseable and require almost no clean-up to re-install. The gaskets of the Gen I will require you to scrape and clean before you re-install your components.
When your talking about a race motor this is a very nice thing, you also get all of the other advantages listed above, more power, better reliablility and easier to work on. I guess the only downside is that an LS is a little more expensive initially but I think you will see that it will pay off in the long run. Personally I think the LS3 is worth the extra $$$ those heads are awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Race Engine Preference 355 or Carb'd LS3

Quick Reply: Road Race Engine Preference 355 or Carb'd LS3