Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardbar questions.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
EmilT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardbar questions.............

Thinking about doing a harness for road courses a few time a year. The Hardbar looks like a pretty easy solution, but it appears to me that the bar is only held in position by a cap screw on each end. That would not seem to provide much rigidity and strength. I do not want the hassle of swapping out seats so that is not a consideration. What I am considering is a Hardbar and a Teamtech Jet Pilot harness. Is the design of the Hardbar, especially with regard to mounting, sufficient to stabilize a harness?

If this is not clear, ask questions please. It's clear to me, but then, I wrote it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a search through the archives and you'll find an FEA of the bar posted by ghoffman. I know that, unfortunately, several folks here have crash tested the bar and real world thankfully matches all the models Gary has posted.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hardbar for sale....(I have 2 and only need 1)...
Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine (also the TeamTech Jet Pilot harness).
Old 11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Love mine too. It really stiffens the car up.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

I replaced the BK Harness bar with the HARDBAR. It installed in minutes and I use CROWE Harnesses with it. Works fine. Couple of track events this season since putting it in and no complaints yet.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:38 PM
MJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EmilT
What I am considering is a Hardbar and a Teamtech
That's what I have and it works great. Call Gary at Hardbar and he will set you up.

Matt
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
SuprChrgdC7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Anybody selling the BK or HardBar? I'm looking for something for my C6. Trying to avoid buying new to save cash for a harness.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My spare Hardbar is for a C5 - $285 plus shipping
Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
gintama
Instructor

The C6 and C5 bar are different. I have a new C6/C6Z06 Hardbar that has never been installed. $245 plus shipping. email gezaiii@msn.com. I have been in contact with someone that might be interested in it, but he has not committed. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SuprChrgdC6
Anybody selling the BK or HardBar? I'm looking for something for my C6. Trying to avoid buying new to save cash for a harness.
Contact WickedWeasel@ECS. He may have one available for a C6.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

...I do not want the hassle of swapping out seats so that is not a consideration. What I am considering is a Hardbar and a Teamtech Jet Pilot harness.
FYI -

Just hope you're aware that there are fewer & fewer track day sanctioning bodies that will allow you to run with a racing harness WITHOUT also having racing seats, usually requiring equal levels of safety equipment for BOTH occupants as well (assuming you will have an instructor or passenger).

You may want to review the rules of the various groups you intend to run with before investing in a bar & harnesses if you really don't want seats, and realize that those rules could easily change as insurance & track safety guidelines get more and more stringent.

As for the Hardbar, I bought one used here on the forum, and I'm slowly gathering the rest of the safety gear needed to satisfy most group's harness rules - including race seats.

To be honest - when you have assembled the race seats, harnesses & seat mounts together (only have to do that once), then swapping them for the stock seats is a simple matter of removing/reinstalling 4 bolts per seat - it's really no huge hassle.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Thinking about doing a harness for road courses a few time a year. The Hardbar looks like a pretty easy solution, but it appears to me that the bar is only held in position by a cap screw on each end. That would not seem to provide much rigidity and strength. I do not want the hassle of swapping out seats so that is not a consideration. What I am considering is a Hardbar and a Teamtech Jet Pilot harness. Is the design of the Hardbar, especially with regard to mounting, sufficient to stabilize a harness?

If this is not clear, ask questions please. It's clear to me, but then, I wrote it.
That is what I use.
- The C5 bar installs without any cutting, while the C6 bar requires some cutting. Both attach to the mounts that the stock safety belts use. The C6 bar is a bit close to my daily driving position and I will get Hardbars remote brackets, which should give me ca 2" more room behind my seat.

I have the Teamtech Jet Pilot for me and the Ram Pack for my passenger, but they swap easily. Once on, you don't even think about them - very comfy with their padding.
You will also need a harness lap bar, unless that's included in your after-market seat mount. - Needed with stock seats.

The belts don't slide around on the bar when in use. I feel very planted in my c6z stock seat and the Jet Pilot, but may eventually get other seats.
- I would like one I can use on and off track, but most track seats are not very relaxing for daily driving - and don't fit well with stock seat belts. Undecided, but don't want another thing to swap before a track day.

Good luck with your choice.

/Nik
Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Does the Hardbar interfere with seat travel or seat back travel?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Gannet
Not unless you're pretty tall. But even then, and as Nimo described above, Hardbar offers a set of adjustable 'Extender' brackets to mount the bar further back if you really must have your seat set all the way to the rear. It also provides some height adjustability for the bar as well.

Here's a link :

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=100

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 11-05-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Gannet
It sits ca 3.25" back from the doorpost (rubber) in a C6 and the top of the bar is about 3.25" down from the top of the seat.
(I happen to have a 3.25" bolt laying next to the car)

I'm 5'11 with sort legs and my seat is almost up against it - I used the tilt to avoid rubbing as it makes a noise. On track, I have plenty of room as I sit straighter and closer to the wheel.

- When in doubt, get the bracket - although a little pricey. - I'm waiting for mine and new panels to cut)

/Nik

Last edited by Nimo; 11-03-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At 6'5" and all legs I must sit with the seat ALL the way back and all the way reclined back. My BK bar fit without any issues.

I have a post in the C5 parts for sale with TONS of stuff for sale, including a BK bar, BK harness mounts, Vetteworks harness mount, Simpson cam lock harness, etc.

Also a lot of suspension parts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1567742408
Old 11-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I had the Hardbar in my C5 and it was great. No seat position problems and installed in 20 minutes .... and I'm slow.

Don't forget to get Gary's derlin camera mount if you are going to video. It provided exceptional stability. If you search you should find some vids I took with this setup.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Hardbar questions.............

Quick Reply: Hardbar questions.............