Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Videos of Randy Pobst driving my C5Z at Thunderhill

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Videos of Randy Pobst driving my C5Z at Thunderhill

We had a great track day at Thunderhill in Northern California last Thursday. I finally worked all the bugs out of my suspension and was able to get some good track time in. Had the opportunity to meet Randy Pobst (8 time winner of World Challenge races, etc.) who is a great guy and was willing to drive my car around the track a few laps. My car is a basically stock C5Z with headers and pfadt coilovers. Stock brakes with ss lines and hawk hp+ pads (soon to be upgraded), hoosier R6 tires.

First video is me taking a couple laps so you can see a before and after with Randy (and yes I know my lap times were slow compared to most of you guys ):

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...ion3103008.flv

I had to split the video of Randy driving into 2 parts because it was too long. My brakes were already running hot before Randy drove it. Randy would have run about a 1:56 or so if he didn't have to wait behind the bmw (not bad for jumping in someone elses car and having limited braking) :

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...dyPatTHill.flv

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...THillpart2.flv

Last edited by redtopz; 11-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM
JimEli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your links don't work.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These links in the first post work:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2173074
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JimEli
your links don't work.
Sorry about that. I fixed it .
Old 11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Default Shock settings

What were your shocks set at while Randy was driving?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by geerookie
What were your shocks set at while Randy was driving?
11 front and 12 rear. Problem is my right rear shock has 20 clicks and all my others have 16 clicks. Not sure why, so I go to full stiff and back them off 4 or 5 clicks. I'm going to remove that one and check it out. Next time I'll try 13 or 14 in back and see how it feels.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtopz
11 front and 12 rear. Problem is my right rear shock has 20 clicks and all my others have 16 clicks. Not sure why, so I go to full stiff and back them off 4 or 5 clicks. I'm going to remove that one and check it out. Next time I'll try 13 or 14 in back and see how it feels.
That's interesting, I had the same issue with mine. I called Aaron and he had me send them back and he sent me new rear ones. It made a big difference.
I've been runnning 12 front and 10 rear, but at Watkins Glen (different kind of track compared to TH). I never thought about running higher in the rear until I heard Randy's comment in your car.
I'm going to try it.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome! He gave you some great feedback. It's an awesome experience to take a ride with someone of Randy's caliber. Especially in your car. That's cool.

Needs more brakes. I'm sure after what he's used to if you just have (hot) stock C5Z brakes with SS lines and HP+ pads.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Great post, thank for sharing. That looks like a super track, love that uphill and then sharp left, kind of a leap of faith eh?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Man that is so frickin awesome. I was grinning the whole time watching him throw your car around the track like it was some toy. I can only imagine what you were thinking. Do you even have a door handle left on the passengers side?

I loved the feedback he gave you and what he said at the end. Very very cool videos. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite parts:

"Oh yeah turn it all off. Everything. Is it all the way off? You don't have to hold the button?"

T1 - "Whoa! Ha ha. Brakes are a little soft!"

Last edited by sperkins; 11-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Glad you guys enjoyed the video . It was a great experience for me, especially since I have been tweaking with my suspension (coilovers, swaybars, alignment, etc.) and was not sure how effective my settings were. He seemed to like the way the car handled overall, just wanted more rear rebound. I felt kind of bad turning the car over to him with hot brakes, but he was a good sport and had no problems handling the car (new pads are on order and I will be finishing up my cooling ducts soon). BTW that blind up and down is Turn 5 at T-hill and is supposed to be similar to the corkscrew at Laguna Seca (kind of a mini version I guess).

As far as the coilover shock settings, I had asked Aaron Pfadt what he recommended and he told me 8 in front and 12 in back to start, so apparently he is well aware of the corvettes need for more rear rebound . Interesting that you had the same problem with the shocks as me, I'll have to get a hold of Aaron.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
"Oh yeah turn it all off. Everything. Is it all the way off? You don't have to hold the button?"
Yeah.. That was funny.

Do you have a LapTrax or did you turn off everything before you asked Randy if he wanted it off?

I also liked when he said that the new C5Z06 didn't handle well after you said that you had the last year of the C5 Z06.

BTW.. I never got the memo about the C6 Z06 handling. Does it not handle as well as the C5 Z06? If so, why?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great videos! There is no better way to find out how to drive your car faster around a track than having a pro like that show you what it can really do. Probably takes 2 years off the learning curve.

xsiveone, I think it's probably generally agreed upon that the C5 Z06 handles a little better than the C6 Z06. Firmer suspension and more track oriented tires I guess (even though they are not as wide).
Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

i was there wednesday. i never did get the chance to talk to Randy but he seems like a really nice guy. very very fast around the track ... of course.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool thanks for sharing, he seems like a really cool guy
Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcar00
Great videos! There is no better way to find out how to drive your car faster around a track than having a pro like that show you what it can really do. Probably takes 2 years off the learning curve.

xsiveone, I think it's probably generally agreed upon that the C5 Z06 handles a little better than the C6 Z06. Firmer suspension and more track oriented tires I guess (even though they are not as wide).
I agree, I thought it would be a great learning experience to have him drive my car, and it was . After we pulled back into the pits he commented again about liking the c5z over the c6z, but to be fair he's probably only driven a stock c6z. I personally drove both before I bought my car and I chose the z16 over my uncle's 06 zo6 (I didn't think the 06 was worth $30k more). However, I know with a little suspension tweaking and better tires the c6z's are awesome track cars with a more powerful engine .
Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
STL-MagRedC6
Instructor

That was awesome. It brings me back to running the C5Z at Bragg-Smith now Spring Mountain. What a tremendous experience and it did get me hooked and determined to get my own Vette. . . only took a little over 5 years, but I got it now!

Get notified of new replies

To Videos of Randy Pobst driving my C5Z at Thunderhill

Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Good show Bill.

I'd like another ride in the car since you're getting it dialed in. It was pretty good before your changes. Coilovers Rock!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Great videos from both you and Randy driving your car. I would like to see more video and hear your feedback after you adjust your coilovers. A few "hot laps" with Randy driving it again would be cool too

BTW, what camera are you using?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
Good show Bill.

I'd like another ride in the car since you're getting it dialed in. It was pretty good before your changes. Coilovers Rock!
Hey Bill, I'll definitely give you a call next time I head up to Reno. I'd love to get back on that track again .

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Great videos from both you and Randy driving your car. I would like to see more video and hear your feedback after you adjust your coilovers. A few "hot laps" with Randy driving it again would be cool too

BTW, what camera are you using?
The camera is a JVC Everio from Costco. Its a hybrid HD drive and SD drive. I use the SD chip to record in the car and its mounted to my harness bar. I've had a few issues with it not working now and then, but overall I'm happy with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Videos of Randy Pobst driving my C5Z at Thunderhill