Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Rules

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09
Default Helmet Rules

I've never posted in this AX-RR forum (I usually stay in the C6Z06 stable), but I'm in the process of buying a helmet and I've noticed some amazing deals on open face helmets. Is there a new rule that says that [even in a coupe/hardtop] goggles are required with an open face helmet? Or is there some new obscure rule that makes open face helmets really unwanted??? TIA

Tom
Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What type of racing is this for? For AutoX I think as long as it's Snell M2005 Rated it's ok, whether that be open or closed. SA2005 is even better, so that will work too.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05 '09

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
What type of racing is this for? For AutoX I think as long as it's Snell M2005 Rated it's ok, whether that be open or closed. SA2005 is even better, so that will work too.
I'm referring to the Bell Mag-5 which is SA2005, and I will be using it for HPDE first off and then maybe some real SCCA racing (I got burned out of AXing with my Miatas).

Thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM
vette dan
Vette Dan
Support Corvetteforum!

just make sure its snell rated. i think all bells are. I have a bell open face and love it.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05 '09

Originally Posted by vette dan
just make sure its snell rated. i think all bells are. I have a bell open face and love it.
Thanks Dan, isn't Snell where the "SA2005" comes from?

Been to OKC many times, as well as the Ponca City Grand Prix and Lake Afton Grand Prix (I lived in Wichita at the time).
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For Snell Foundation helmet test ratings, SA is an automotive (motorsports) rating. An M rating is for motorcycles. Some track days will allow an M-rated helmet, and some may not.

The best thing to do is to check with the event sanctioning association to see if there is a specific requirement for an SA rated helmet or if an M rated helmet will work. Open or full-face styles are usually a personal preference and can depend on whether or not a driver wears glasses, or has problems with perpherial vision when wearing full-face helmets.

Most HPDE/track day events want you to run with side windows down and it's easy to get "marbles" or even pebbles tossed up by a car in front and manage to find their way inside your interior and possibly hit you in the face. A full-face helps here especially one with a face shield.

I have a Bell Mag 4 Racer Series Open face helmet and it works fine for me for track days. But I wear glasses so an open-face helmet is easier to put on as I don't have to remove my glasses. I can also change to sunglasses without removing the helmet.

A Mag 5 SA-rated helmet should work fine for HPDE. IIRC, the Mag 5 has a Nomex lining where the Mag4 does not. If you decide to go into SCCA competition, you might want to go with a full-face helmet with Nomex lining. That way, when you buy a Nomex suit, gloves, and belaclava/scarf you will have good protection against fire. Make sure the helmet will work with a HANS device too.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05 '09

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Make sure the helmet will work with a HANS device too.
Oops! You got me there c4cruise. What is a HANS device?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

As far as HPDEs I have never been to one that required anything but a current or near current Snell Rated Helmet (one that I know of still accepts Snell 95 Helmets). The operators of the events did not have any rulings on Open or Closed Face Helmets or on the use of HANS devices either. However, a fair number of people participating in these events now use the HANS. I have never seen a HANS device attached to an open face helmet and I suspect that it might not work very well with one but I am no expert on the subject.

Head and Neck Support (HANS). Keeps head and helmet from moving forward/sideways during an incident thus reducing the chance of a basal skull fracture which is usually fatal.

Bill
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SA 2005 is just perfect, a HANS is nice but should not be use without harnesses, and race seats, PLUS roll cage, or Harness bar ( but is still questionable)

Open or Closed face is a personal choice. Many ppl prefer close face helmets with the eye shield down.

Too much stuff flys into the cockpit and can bounce off your chin, sand, bugs, track turds, broken car body parts that get picked up off the track or if you hit a tire wall, Like I did, my drivers side mirror bounced out and hit my chin gaurd then landed on the right side of the dash in one piece. Could have broken my chin.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've been hit right next to my eye by flying rubber twice with my shield up. You are not fast enough to flinch before it hits you.
Now I keep it down.

<---teachable
Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, my track (Hallett, OK) will ban all "M" helmets for HPDE starting in 2009.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

If you are going to run just SCCA PDX's, a Snell "M" rated helmet is OK. If you are going into full club racing, you will definitely need a current "SA" rated helmet.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
blkz
Pro

Don't forget it depends if running open or closed cockpit .Most clubs still allow M rated but keep in mind what they are designed for and what type of impact. Shortly they will be phased out after 2009 if I'm not mistaken.I recommend driving with the face shield down ,you just can't react fast enough .
Old 10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Not after 2009 at the end of 2008.

Most clubs no longer allow M ratings for track days or HPDEs.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

Not after 2009 at the end of 2008.

Most clubs no longer allow M ratings for track days or HPDEs.
Didn't hear any changes about SCCA's rules. NASA was good with M rating this year, I believe. Is that changing?

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet Rules

Quick Reply: Helmet Rules