Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing C6 Z51 engine oil cooler to C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 AM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing C6 Z51 engine oil cooler to C6 Z06

Is changing my engine oil cooler on a C6 Z51 to the larger C6 Z06 worth the effort? Should I buy aftermarket? Which one and does anyone have instructions on the change? I see 290 degrees after about 20 min. of track time.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An external oil cooler made a big difference in lowering my track temps. Typically it's installed with an aftermarket radiator (Ron Davis/Dewitts). Don't get a combined radiator/oil cooler.

There are lots of choices of coolers (you need not get a GM model). You also have the option of a one or two stage. Ergo, one or two run in succession for more cooling.

Pictured is my set up:

1. for street/track car(one stage/later modded to a two stage)

2. for track only car (two stage)

Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On plate/fin type coolers its best to mount them with the inlet/outlet upward. That purges all air and the cooler is working at its full efficiency. Any other arrangement and there is a good chance that not all the cooler is being used. Worst mounting is with the ports down. Just imagine. The oil will take the path of least resistance. With the ports up gravity doesn't allow the oil to take the first few rows until the ones beneath have been purged of air.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gintama
Is changing my engine oil cooler on a C6 Z51 to the larger C6 Z06 worth the effort? Should I buy aftermarket? Which one and does anyone have instructions on the change? I see 290 degrees after about 20 min. of track time.
I have an F55 with NO cooler and I routinely see 300* when its 100* ambient. The concensus seems to be not to bother with the Z51 cooler, but to go to the Z06 assuming you don't want a complete after-market oil/water cooler. Unlike me, you won't even have to drill holes in the shroud. Unlikely that too cold is an issue with this OEM part. Good luck.

FM
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

I had the small OEM C6 Z51 oil cooler replaced with the OEM Z06 Oil cooler. The Z06 cooler is around 2.5X longer. I purchased my cooler used from Katech. Definitely one of the cheaper cooling upgrade options, however it does not compare to a good aftermarket cooler. Ultimately I still see temps get to 285-290 after 30 minutes of running between 3500 and 6500 RPM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
I had the small OEM C6 Z51 oil cooler replaced with the OEM Z06 Oil cooler.
Where was this small cooler in the C6 - Z51 car located?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rbl
Where was this small cooler in the C6 - Z51 car located?
On '08 Z51's it's located in front of the radiator on the drivers side.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Assuming you drive this car on the street, I would put in a DRM combo oil cooler/rad (or like brand). If you are going through the trouble (not really a tough thing to do) change the radiator too with the combo unit.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Assuming you drive this car on the street, I would put in a DRM combo oil cooler/rad (or like brand). If you are going through the trouble (not really a tough thing to do) change the radiator too with the combo unit.
I've tracked (RR) both set ups. A Dewitt's combo and a Ron Davis with an external oil cooler. The former didn't do that much compared to OEM. The latter lowered temps 20 degrees.

For the street I would not mess with the radiator/oil cooler(OEM should work fine). For RR go external. Plus a radiator without the internal oil cooler has more cooling capacity. If you go to Dewitt's website he has posted some notes that suggest the same for RR.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
On '08 Z51's it's located in front of the radiator on the drivers side.
I have an 06 and I think it is in the radiator and about worthless. I am always up around 295 in the summer.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Rickard
Instructor

Anyone have any thoughts on the Lingenfelter unit? It measures 11"x4"x2" and mounts to the front aluminum engine/suspension cradle with the custom LPE bracket.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickard
Anyone have any thoughts on the Lingenfelter unit? It measures 11"x4"x2" and mounts to the front aluminum engine/suspension cradle with the custom LPE bracket.
Not the best location...what model Corvette do you have?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
gintama
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback. My original post should have stated:
- I am an aggressive driver and normally come in or slow down when my oil temp hits 290
- I have a 2008 C6 Z51 with the small cooler that is primarily for the track.
I realize the best set-up is a large external cooler with a new radiator, but I am trying to find the most economical solution in these difficult economic times. It seems tracking a car and economical are two concepts that do not play well together. I have to save somewhere since I go through a set of Cobalt pads, rotors and Mobil 1 oil change every weekend on the track. (I might get 2 weekends on a set of R888s)
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the feedback. My original post should have stated:
- I am an aggressive driver and normally come in or slow down when my oil temp hits 290
- I have a 2008 C6 Z51 with the small cooler that is primarily for the track.
I realize the best set-up is a large external cooler with a new radiator, but I am trying to find the most economical solution in these difficult economic times. It seems tracking a car and economical are two concepts that do not play well together. I have to save somewhere since I go through a set of Cobalt pads, rotors and Mobil 1 oil change every weekend on the track. (I might get 2 weekends on a set of R888s)
I'm very sympathetic towards your budget goals. As a fellow RR guy, I know exactly where your coming from. I guess my best advice is to consider: Does spending some money now on a good radiator/oil cooler set up provide a good investment return.

I think it might. Running your car on track and baking the engine eventually might buy you a new engine, ring job or other fun stuff. Engine cooling equipment is a smart insurance policy for your car.

Unfortunately, you will probably bump up into the same issues for a tranny and diff cooler as you get more seat time and start pushing the car harder.

Why did we pick this stupid sport? Because it's too damn much fun!!!!

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by snitz
I've tracked (RR) both set ups. A Dewitt's combo and a Ron Davis with an external oil cooler. The former didn't do that much compared to OEM. The latter lowered temps 20 degrees.

For the street I would not mess with the radiator/oil cooler(OEM should work fine). For RR go external. Plus a radiator without the internal oil cooler has more cooling capacity. If you go to Dewitt's website he has posted some notes that suggest the same for RR.

Good luck.
I have used both as well. I had great results with my combo unit, granted the stand alone cooler is better, but for a track only car.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Rickard
Instructor

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Not the best location...what model Corvette do you have?
I have a 2006 C6 Z51 A6.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing C6 Z51 engine oil cooler to C6 Z06

Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM
gintama
Instructor

Webz, it sounds like we both have similar cars and you have done what I was going to do, with little positive result. So do I just keep my Z51 OEM small external cooler and just buy a noncombo radiator? Isn’t there an internal cooler in the radiator already?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

On the 08 the differential cooler is integrated in the radiator so you would have to take that into account when looking into after market cooling solutions. I believe the change to the Z06 cooler was good for 10 to 15 degrees, which I view as a positive move. In addition the car remains streetable, and the change did not effect the other cooling systems.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rickard
I have the LPE Cooler. It lowered my Oil temps on the track about 20o and lower the summer temps on the street about 15o over the OEM Z51 cooler.

Quick Reply: Changing C6 Z51 engine oil cooler to C6 Z06