Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What racing do you follow and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What racing do you follow and why?

I follow ALMS, Indy car, formula one, speed WC, grand-am and could give a rats azz about Nascar. I really enjoy ALMS and Grand-am because of the differant classes. 24 hours at Daytona is always a nice get away from the cold in January. I am glad that open wheel is making it's way back in the U.S. Speed WC always has some good racing and is very easy to relate to.What more can you say about Formula 1, If you have never been to a race you owe it to yourself.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

ALMS, Speed WC and TC, Grand-am Rolex and Koni (the best i can) and most other fendered series. Open wheel has little appeal to me honestly, and anything that runs in an oval is out.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really all I follow now is ALMS and the 24-hours of LeMans. If I had more time I'd like to follow F-1 and Indy, but yeah, I don't really care about NASCAR at all. Too bad that's all SPEED seems to show now...
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F1, ALMS, and even Cup Nascar. Although lately I'm kinda sick of Nascar. I actually used to really like the World Challenge and would root for Lou Gigliotti. I'll even watch Grand AM.

Mike
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 AM
MAG STAR
Burning Brakes

Moto GP !!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

I pretty much follow anything that isn't on a oval whether it be open wheel or not. I kind of prefer the GT classes just because I think that's what I would drive if I were a professional race car driver. ALMS is prolly my favorite pro series but I do follow F1 closer now since it isnt so one driver dominate.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

as far as watching every race and keeping up with what's going on, just F1, but I will watch just about any sports car or open wheel race thats on TV if i have time.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

F1 then ALMS ( Not on NBC )

I stopped WC when Lou stopped racing, even though it is still great racing

FIA GT Live coverage on the Internet.

and Super V8s in Austrailia

Wish they would bring back World Cup Rally

Some Moto GP and NASCAR race Starts.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

If it's got an internal combustion engine and a checkered flag, I'll watch it!

Say what you will about NASCAR and oval racing, it has more W2W competition throughout the field that you can *watch* (one of the problems with road racing, you can only watch a fairly small section of the track).

One thing I find interesting is the complete lack of comments concerning NHRA. That competition is amazing, each class for different reasons. Pro Stock Motorcycle for the reaction times, shift points, and watching the riders trying to control those rides when they start drifting out of the groove. Pro Stock runs are so darn close (closest I've seen this season is 0.0004 seconds!). And then, Top Fuel funny car and dragsters, sheesh!

If you've never been to an NHRA event, try one. The experience is very unique, especially for the Top Fuel events.

As far as F1 is concerned, I really follow the qualifying session. Then I watch the first 3 laps really intently, then fast forward through the rest of the follow-the-leader to the pit stops, then to the finish. I share the feeling of F1 turning into a high-end spec series. I loved the old days with all the variations between teams.

IMO, the "spec-ness" of F1 was caused by the automatic transmissions several years ago. Software controlled systems, tuned to each corner of each track (!), with full traction control and braking assist, took the driver considerably out of the picture.

Personally, I'd like to see F1 unlimited in Aero, suspension, maybe tires, with freedom in the engines (displacement, # of cylinders, etc.), with spec fuel (to keep the pit crews from dieing from chemical poisoning). Won't ever happen, but I'll still watch.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

NASA Super Touring and NASA TT
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Depends on how bad I need a fix. F1, ALMS and Rolex for sure. Any other non-oval racing when I find it (we have no DVR).

But, the truth is that when I need a fix, almost anything with 2 or more wheels will hold my attention. I watched 800hp "Jeep" things racing up the side of cliffs in Iceland recently - whoa. I used to love FIA Rally, can't believe they have "Pinks" on now but no Rally - not cool. NHRA is fun to watch, though I have absolutely zero interest in drag racing myself.

Moto GP is good because I can point out to my wife that there are others who are way more sick than I am. When she gets frustrated with how expensive racing is, I always say "well - if I bought a motorcycle we could race that out of the truck with no trailer and save a ton of money..." That usually settles it.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MotoGP and WSBK.

Real skills and money can't buy a ride (for long). Well, unless you're Spanish.....
Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Come on Todd does it get any better than Spec Miata, watch one race at turn 5 at Mid-Ohio during the rain and you will never be more entertained. Geff, Debbie and I counted 13 cars in China Beach in a qualifying session at NASA Nats.

But seriously I watch ALMS, Grand Am, Speed GT (if I'm lucky and find it) and F1. Also if I get lucky I'll catch the SCCA run-offs but the SU, ST1, ST2, TTA, TTB race that was on the web was pretty entertaining even though RAFT got totally screwed by a dive-bomb pass.

I kind of wish they would do Pinks with road racing or possiblly time trials I think that would be pretty good.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Todd Z
Racer

Joel,

wait until the dead of winter when the nascar channel has to show figure eight bus racing at Rockford. Now that is some entertaining stuff!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

American Lemans Series (ALMS)
Australian V8 Supercar
Belcar Championship
Ferrari Challenge
Formula 1
FIA GT Championship
German Touring Car (DTM)
Grand American Sports Car Series
Grand American Cup Series
Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR)
International Motor Sports Association (IMSA)
Porsche Supercup
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA): Trans Am, World Challenge GT, GT1, T1
Sports Car Vintage Racing (SVRA)
Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Other than drag racing and monster trucks, I follow it all, but I love road racing, ALL forms of it. We were always a Chevy family, so as a kid in the 60's, if you wanted to see Chevrolets racing, it was drag racing or road racing. I chose road racing; Grand Sports, Cheetas, Chaparrels, McLarens, and later the Penske Camaros, they hooked me for life. Still love it today.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I watch the same stuff as everyone else, i.e. anything but Winston Cup. I travel the world in my job and lament that the competing channel for motorsport isn't up and running yet. I went to the Aussie Supercars near Sydney and it was great. They also have Porsche Cup in Aus and a similar series here, the IMSA Light GT3 thing neither of which are televised. The European one used to be super, I really liked it. You need to go to one DTM race before you die, that should be on here too. I agree with Goldie, WRC was wonderful. Sadly, boring Winston Cup dominates, there are even some people left who don't think that it is fixed like wrestling. How sad...

Last edited by Tintin; 10-24-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What racing do you follow and why?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll watch any of the road racing series that are shown. Hate to say it but the two NASCAR road races at Infineon and the Glen are usually two of the best road racing events to watch. Always a lot of action and fender to fender racing. I have a hard time watching oval track racing.

Not a fan of the modern F1 car. They may be the fastest road racing cars in the world, but it seems like almost every race is decided in the pits. They should do away with some of the aero devices, make them all start on the same tires and the same fuel load. I'm so "old school" that I would like to see them go back to having to heal & toe and shift. That being said, I still watch every one of their races.

Larry
Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local 1/4 mile banked dirt oval racing. Sprint cars, late models, pony stocks, but especially the modifieds, street stocks and bomber stocks.

Soooo much fun to watch in person.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
Local 1/4 mile banked dirt oval racing. Sprint cars, late models, pony stocks, but especially the modifieds, street stocks and bomber stocks.

Soooo much fun to watch in person.

I can be found sitting in the stands friday and saturday nights. At the local dirt tracks. I'm that guy that sits where no-one else is because of the dirt flying off the tires. But it's neat to see suspensions loading and unloading going into turn one.

Randy

Quick Reply: What racing do you follow and why?