Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GP: PFC Big Brake Kit C5, C6 C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP: PFC Big Brake Kit C5, C6 C6Z

MSI is proud to announce a BIG BRAKE KIT is now available from Performance Friction for C5, C6 and C6 Z06. And Motor Sport Image & Performance will be offering a Group Purchase discount on these. Minimum 18" wheels are required.

WE Need 5 sets in order to get this discount.

The Regular Price is: $3995 for the front kit and $3995 for the rear kit.
MSI will offer a minimum of 5 kits at GP introductory price of $3395.
So that is either 2 full car sets and one front only, or 5 guys that only want fronts (or any combination in between).

I'd like to place this order while attending the SEMA show the week of November 4 - 7.

This kit has been under development since prior to the introduction of the C6Z. Terry and I actually discussed this product with Mag and some of the other guys at Performance Friction over Dinner at SEMA in 2005 when we were telling them that we ran out of brakes at the track in Terry's first C6Z.

David Farmer just finished testing these for PFC and his comments can be found on a thread in the C6 Z06 section of this forum.

Custom Engineered Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits:

Performance Friction Brakes premium Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits are custom engineered for performance aftermarket and track day street vehicles. Capitalizing on its championship-winning racing brake technology in rotors, calipers, and brake pads, the company has now applied its dominating racing braking expertise to the street and track day enthusiast.

Unmatched braking ability, pedal feel and modulation, and durability once only available to winning racing teams and drivers, are now available for performance enthusiasts -- without upsetting the stock chassis balance, ABS, and emergency brake activation of their car.

Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits are made in the U.S.A. and include these genuine racing components and technology:

- Forged aluminum monobloc brake calipers that are precision CNC-machined – a monobloc design reduces any caliper deflection, maintains superior caliper alignment with the rotor under braking, and improves pedal feel over two-piece calipers.

- Aerospace-grade radial mounting of the caliper – this mounting also reduces caliper deflection so pads make uniform contact with the rotor, produce less heat than a typical stock chassis “pin-slider” caliper, and yield improved torque application to the rotor.

- 4-piston, 4-pad calipers – PFC’s short aspect ratio 4-piston design yields a stiffer caliper body; reduces drag and temperature, and improves release and control over 6-piston designs. Less unsprung weight per corner and more uniform pad wear are also benefits.

- Z-rated Carbon Metallic ™ premium brake pads – these are included with specially formulated friction compounds for each vehicle chassis to ensure maximum braking efficiency and balance during street and extreme use.

- Two-piece, full-floating Direct Drive ™ V2 rotors – rotors eliminate vibration and pulsation; reduce drag to increase fuel mileage and improve pad wear; reduce piston knock-back; and lower heat transfer to the hub. The reusable hat assembly reduces lifetime costs.

Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits are custom-developed for their chassis – one brake caliper or rotor or brake pad does not apply across multiple chassis. Overall braking capability improves with these specialized kits, and stock ABS and electronic chassis control are not compromised.

Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits are a Prosumer level of braking capability and technology ready for street performance enthusiasts who also track their vehicles. Performance Friction has Z-Rated Brake Upgrade Kits available for these select performance vehicles; more applications to follow:

Chevy Corvette C5, C6 and C6 ZO6
BMW E36 M3, BMW E46 M3, BMW E90, BMW E92 M3
Mitsubishi EVO 6--9
Mitsubishi EVO X
Lexus IS-F
Ford Mustang 2005+
Attached Images   

Last edited by C5stein; 10-24-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Those on the fence about these calipers,

Get these. They ROCK. No bones about it, and you WONT be disappointed.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Am I to understand this special price for the front kit is $3395 and for the rear kit at $3395, or $6790 for all four wheels?

Last edited by quick04Z06; 10-23-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Am I to understand this special price for the front kit is $3395 and for the rear kit at $3395, or $6790 for all four wheels?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Here is more PFC Corvette Z-Rated Brake Kit Upgrade Facts:

Forged monobloc, multi-pad calipers are not new to PFC. The multi-pad architecture has been used by us since the beginning and started in earnest in 2004. We use it due to better response, consistency and smoother torque output with far better control.

PFC has been a major friction supplier to the big five caliper manufactures since 1984. This means PFC understands the stopping event better than any brake manufacture because PFC is the only USA Company who makes 100% of the hot end components in-house. Ask if the upgrades you’re considering can make that statement.

PFC multi-pad designs should not be confused with current OE versions as there are no control pins in our calipers that can cause pad stiction, and poor release at elevated temperatures. Proper stainless abutments are used and extensive FEA to insure stiffness to mass is the benchmark for others.

PFC calipers also feature race designed heat-caps for reduced caliper temperatures along with race bred high temperature O-ring seals.

PFC torque balances every upgrade application for enhanced dynamic performance without harsh ABS moments/activation. Front and rear kits should be used as package.

PFC roadcar discs share the same metallurgy, geometry and design criteria as used on the 24hrs of Daytona overall winning Corvette C5-R and did so without a disc change during that race. This was a first for a GT car at that race, and a feat that has been repeated on a number of occasions since that win.

In 2006, PFC-shod cars won 257 world and national racing championships, more than all other racing brake companies combined.

PFC Z-rated pads offer exceptional performance for the street, auto-x, and time-attack and time trials. If higher performance braking is required, race pad compounds are available. Consult PFC for advice.

PFC is an ISO, QS and TS16949 quality Assurance Company.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are selling these, but how do these compare to Brembos 380mm kit??
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
I know you are selling these, but how do these compare to Brembos 380mm kit??

Great question, but as these brakes haven't been released, we haven't been able to conduct a back to back test.

I will tell you that according to David Farmer and the guys at PFC, these PFC's have more than enough stopping performance for corvette racing, and have less unsprung weight than the Brembos that you refer to.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

How much for race pads? Is PFC the only ones making pads for these calipers?
How much for an extra set of hats and rotors, how much for just a rotor ring?
Also does the installation of the kit effect the brake pedal height?

Replacement parts are an important part of choosing one brake kit over another. I'd just like to see the bigger picture.

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 10-28-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

While I haven't gotten all the details about this kit yet,
Race pads usually run in the $300 to $500 range.
Replacement rotor outers usually run around $300

I've been told that the bore size was carefully calculated to replicate the stock peddle height. Of course initial bite may alter where the brakes really come into play in the stroke of the peddle.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't those the ZR39 Champ Car calipers? I bet PFC had a lot of inventory to get rid of after Champ died early this year.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

J Ritt,

They are ZR31 calipers. There are 2 variants of this caliper though; not including the piston sizes available.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I am not familiar with differences between C5 and C6 brakes. Will one caliper direct bolt to C5 and C6 so I can take them off my C5 and put them on my C6 later or do they require separate adapter brackets on the same caliper? If so will you be able to sell those brackets separately?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

The C5 and C6 kits are NEARLY the same kit, as the two spindle uprights are nearly identical with respect to Brake application. I understand that the only difference are the flexible brake lines.

Same offset from hub face, same measurement from spindle centerline to mounting bosses. Same mounting boss bolt spacing...

So if you buy them for your C5, you will be able to swap them to a C6 without problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
zdr
Heel & Toe

Will these work with stock size wheels?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zdr
Will these work with stock size wheels?
Minimum 18" wheels are required. They will fit inside Stock C6 Z06 wheels and I believe they will fit inside Stock C6 wheels.

They will not fit inside the C5 17" wheels.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Well I saw these brakes in person at SEMA and I would have to say that they are awesome!!!

They feature 4 directional pads per caliper. They fixture into the caliper using stainless steel where the pad's backing plate would contact the aluminum caliper. The calipers are machined from a one piece forging as opposed to the weaker castings that alot of the other guys use. This results in a much stiffer caliper, witch gives much more precise braking, longer pad life and better performance.
They even make the pistons a two piece affair. This helps insulate the heat from getting to the brake fluid. We can even get three piece pistons from the grand am calipers that have a specific heat barrier that goes into the piston assembly.

I had the opportunity to see the caliper alongside one of the CHAMP calipers and can tell you that their isn't much difference, other than the fct that a CHAMP caliper will not fit in a stock Corvette wheel due to its width and thickness of pads.
I was tols that their were several teams that ran an almost identical setup in the 24 hours of daytona and only required a few pad changes. This set up allowed them to complete the race with the original set of rotors, which wasn't the case for most of the teams running other brands of brakes.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein
Minimum 18" wheels are required. They will fit inside Stock C6 Z06 wheels and I believe they will fit inside Stock C6 wheels.
Waking up an old thread. Did these brakes actually fit under stock C6 wheels? Or what kind of spacer was required?

Get notified of new replies

To GP: PFC Big Brake Kit C5, C6 C6Z

Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone actually have feedback on these?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default C6Z Rear Kit?

I understand that there is not a rear kit for the C6Z. Am I wrong or is only the front kit available.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

saw the rears listed by another forum vendor so I guess they are in existence.

Quick Reply: GP: PFC Big Brake Kit C5, C6 C6Z