Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10/24 FATT Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default 10/24 FATT Summit Point

I'm headed to my first track day this Friday, is anyone else going to Friday at the Track? I'm starting to get paranoid about breaking the car. I'll bet you will be able to time me with a sundial!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
I'm headed to my first track day this Friday, is anyone else going to Friday at the Track? I'm starting to get paranoid about breaking the car. I'll bet you will be able to time me with a sundial!
ROFL! you sound like me, but unless your car was built by monkey's and maintained by me, then you'll be just fine. Assuming you have no massive off road excursions your car will be just fine. the LSx motors are seriously stout and corvettes are super reliable as well... Just flog the ever living bejesus out of the car and you'll be rewarded with an ear to ear smile.

Honestly I dont know how most people can tame themselves enough to drive their vettes on the street, they are just so damn fun to hear at full song tough a few gears.

Also, a few pointers on summit, turn 10 is the MOST dangerous turn on track. If you go off, open up the wheel and go off, dont try to correct. Turn 4 since this is your first track day, you'll want to brake a little before turn in just to settle the car and reduce the speed.

Other than that.. have fun!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you on Summit Main or Summit Shenandoah?

Main is good track to learn on - not too technical, lots of run off. But as noted above turn 4 is dangerous and turn 10 if you go to fast.

Shennandoah (aka "the concrete jungle") is a different story - very technical, no runoff, lots of concrete barriers.

Either way - if you are cautious, listen to your instructor and don't try to be Ron Fellows on your first day you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input. I'm sure it will be a blast. I have been putting this off for too long. I live about five miles from the track, but have never been on it. When I was a kid I used to sneak on from under the fence of the neighboring junk yard. It is WAY nicer these days.

Wish me luck, I'll give an update Friday night / Saturday morning.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default see ya there

I'll be there (black Z06 "WIDEN66"). Shenandoah is tight with not much room for error, but fun nonetheless. If you break, there are usually enough well equipped vette drivers there to put you back together
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

You'll be on Shenandoah - good learning track ... you'll go into the carousel with the right wheel just up on the top lip, then drop into the bowl ... stay down and come out square on the exit ...
If you're consistent on entry, you'll wear a notch in your right side front flap ... (unless you decide to remove the sides before going to the track ...
You'll be fine!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Bville-Bud, howdy from just down the road in P-ville. I'm not signed up for this FATT but might try to slip out in the afternoon to come watch. Have fun and hope to see you at the main course next year.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jwg2
I'll be there (black Z06 "WIDEN66"). Shenandoah is tight with not much room for error, but fun nonetheless. If you break, there are usually enough well equipped vette drivers there to put you back together
Heck if anyone breaks we could probably go to my house between sessions to use the lift. I'm a max of 10 minutes away.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there in my daily driver, a 2000 Camaro SS, black in color. Probably be parked around a blue Subaru STI. Come track me down, we can chat, I'll help you out any way I can with pointers or wrenching. I know Shene pretty well!

Joe
Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Heck if anyone breaks we could probably go to my house between sessions to use the lift. I'm a max of 10 minutes away.
Good to know. I've boiled brake fluid twice at SPR, would have been handy to have a lift instead of the jackstands for the fluid change.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bville-Budd,

Is there a shop close by that can mount and balance tires on a Saturday or Sunday. I think the next time I go (1,2 Nov) I will need to change some tires out and want to know if there is someone close that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Rob
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
Bville-Budd,

Is there a shop close by that can mount and balance tires on a Saturday or Sunday. I think the next time I go (1,2 Nov) I will need to change some tires out and want to know if there is someone close that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks

Rob
You might try Berryville Auto Parts or Berryville Service Center - Sunday forget about it!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I'll be there in my daily driver, a 2000 Camaro SS, black in color. Probably be parked around a blue Subaru STI. Come track me down, we can chat, I'll help you out any way I can with pointers or wrenching. I know Shene pretty well!

Joe
watch out joe, you might just launch that SS into the stratosphere off the ski jump!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm home and had a blast! I was driving around the track like a grandma at first but with the help of Jim Roberts (fellow C5 guy & instructor), I think I made some progress.

The Shenandoah circuit was VERY twisty. I was told it is a tough course for a first track day, but I had fun & will be back.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Good deal!
Did you "get air" on the bridge straight?
Did you ride with Jim? I assume he had his yellow C5 there ... last time I ran Shenandoah he gave me a ride in his Miata ... I damned near got sick in the car ...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Good deal!
Did you "get air" on the bridge straight?
Did you ride with Jim? I assume he had his yellow C5 there ... last time I ran Shenandoah he gave me a ride in his Miata ... I damned near got sick in the car ...
Heck I drove like a grandma (at first at least)! No air this session, wait till next spring and I'll give it some more speed. I was pretty happy with my progress, I felt a lot smoother and faster on the last session. Jim gave me a ride & it was AWESOME, that man can drive.

Last edited by Bville-Bud; 10-28-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 10/24 FATT Summit Point

Quick Reply: 10/24 FATT Summit Point