Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Trailer Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Winter Trailer Storage?

Time to store my open trailer for the winter. My trailer is basically in my backyard open to the elements. Last year I bought a big painter's waterproof tarp and covered the entire trailer and held down the tarp with large rocks. I did notice while this repells most of the rain/snow, some moisture continues to get stuck underneath the tarp and subsequently on the trailer even when the air is dry.

So, is this the right way to approach storage or am I missing something? Should I cut some "breather" holes in places where the deck is open to allow moisture to escape OR is it basically..."is what it is" scenario, where your still going to get moisture, but at least keeping away the soaking rain and snow is still providing some protection?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did not state what material your trailer is made of.
I have a wood bed on mine. I treat it every year with a stain/preservative, and in the winter, store it outside with a large tarp tied down. In my case, the tarp will shed 95% of the rain/snow, and since I can't tie the tarp down providing total protection, it still gets enough air to dry out the wood.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
You did not state what material your trailer is made of.
I have a wood bed on mine. I treat it every year with a stain/preservative, and in the winter, store it outside with a large tarp tied down. In my case, the tarp will shed 95% of the rain/snow, and since I can't tie the tarp down providing total protection, it still gets enough air to dry out the wood.
Steel with steel open deck.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

leave it or shrink wrap it like a boat trapping moisture sucks!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple weeks ago I moved my lawn tractor in the shed at my new place. Then moved some crap around to the back side of it. Then made the "white trash" lien to. I mounted one side to the shed, and used a couple camping stakes and rope to tie down the other side. The trap sits at about a 40 degree angle. Good protection from the crap and good air flow!!!

Randy
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
leave it or shrink wrap it like a boat trapping moisture sucks!
I used a clear tarp last year, and I think the sun would draw the moisture from the ground via evaporation, then it would get trapped by the clear tarp and then just turn back into water and sit on the frame constantly. Kind of like if you leave a bottle water out in the sun, you get all those water pellets at the top of the bottle as the sun tries to draw the moisture, then they just drip back into the water at the bottom of the bottle.

Maybe a solid color tarp would be the answer? Hence why boat tarps are white, to reflect the sun and not allow for condensation?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I park my open trailer and truck in the open, but on a concrete pad I had built. No cover on trailer, and sometimes I put a car cover on the dually. Concrete helps protect the underside from moisture coming up thru the ground and or gravel.
Ed
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I used a clear tarp last year, and I think the sun would draw the moisture from the ground via evaporation, then it would get trapped by the clear tarp and then just turn back into water and sit on the frame constantly. Kind of like if you leave a bottle water out in the sun, you get all those water pellets at the top of the bottle as the sun tries to draw the moisture, then they just drip back into the water at the bottom of the bottle.

Maybe a solid color tarp would be the answer? Hence why boat tarps are white, to reflect the sun and not allow for condensation?
yes I was thinking after I left it will not work like a boat with a sealed bottom.

Best way is like Randy is saying I think. Like I cover my scaffold plank. I cover the top and leave it so the wind can blow thorugh on the sides.

Few years you just repaint it with some roustoleum before it gets out of control with rust.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I park it on crushed stone because the splash up and moisture from parking on dirt/grass kills the underside. Still is holding up good after 8+ years. If you don't mind looking at it, BJ's wholesale has 12'x24' cover-it instant garages for $299. (I have one, but it's filled with other stuff still!)
Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

This will become your friend when the time comes

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1

Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

Great stuff
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

yea check out the prices of it. That stuff is like crack to me I have a rust phobia Stuff is really indestructable. I have even out some on thin metal brick wall ties when stiring it and later you can bend the metal and it stays on the tie. Bet I have 500-700 bucks worth of it in my garage right now.

Got under my new Dodge in 01 and did the drive shaft and coil springs and they still look great. Few products of the world that really work.
Warning it doesn't come off you skin after it dries.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Trailer Storage?

Quick Reply: Winter Trailer Storage?