Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nuts

Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Lug Nuts

As I run around the country I take a lot of pictures of strange things. When I was writing my Wheel and Tire Performance Handbook I took a bunch of wheel and tire pictures.

The shocking thing was how many race cars paid no attention at all to how the wheels were held onto the car. The general rule of thumb is that you should have as much thread showing as is the diameter of the wheel stud. In other words if you have a 12 mm wheel stud then at least 12 mm of stud should stick out past the lug nut.

Take a look at some of the things I found.

Richard Newton
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I learned it was you needed a minimum of four full turns of the lugnut. FWIW
Old 10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
As I run around the country I take a lot of pictures of strange things. When I was writing my Wheel and Tire Performance Handbook I took a bunch of wheel and tire pictures.

The shocking thing was how many race cars paid no attention at all to how the wheels were held onto the car. The general rule of thumb is that you should have as much thread showing as is the diameter of the wheel stud. In other words if you have a 12 mm wheel stud then at least 12 mm of stud should stick out past the lug nut.

Richard Newton
Richard, your "Take a look link" has 1 too many "/" in it and it goes to a dead end.

Good pictures, though, once I got to it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The address is not valid no pictures
Old 10-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The address is not valid no pictures
Try this: http://cartechstuff.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2008, 07:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Falcon
Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Richard Newton

why do you need an inch+ extra as shown in the picture? thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

What is your reference for that rule of thumb?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Sorry for all the confusion. Here's a good link.

The confusion is because I wasn't very clear. The key term is engaged threads. In other words on the Corvette lets say the wheel stud is 12mm in diameter. That means the lug nut should have 12mm of threads engaged. It doesn't mean that you need 12mm of wheel stud sticking out past the nut.

Longer wheel studs do though make it a lot easier to install the wheel on a race car. That's why the World Challenge race car on my Blog has such long wheel studs. It's just easier to place the wheel on the hub.

The engaged threads recommendation comes from Robert Woods of Wheel Enhancement. He's one of the major wheel gurus of the western world. They specialize in Porsche wheels.

The Southern California Timing Association, which governs the racing at Bonneville, requires at least 5/8 inch of thread engagement. The SCTA also prohibits the use of closed-end lug nuts.

Closed end lug nuts are a really serious problem. We simply don't have a clue about what's going on with closed lug nuts. It's difficult to see how many threads are actually engaged. A worse case scenario is where the wheel stud bottoms out on the inside of the lug nut which would lead you to believe you're tightened the wheel properly.

Even though you tightened the wheel (so you think) the wheel would still be loose on the hub. Most sanctioning bodies simply don't allow this sort of lug nut.

Think about the C4 Corvette for instance. GM used an open end lug nut and then provided a little plastic cover to make the lug nut look good. It would have been a lot easier to just manufacture a closed end lug nut - but they didn't feel it was safe.

Richard Newton
101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Last edited by rfn026; 10-18-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: add link
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I put on the 3" ARP studs, as I could not find anything shorter. and Then went to NAPA to get hardened open ended lug nuts.

Worked out well

Front

Rear
Old 10-18-2008, 03:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about the C4 Corvette for instance. GM used an open end lug nut and then provided a little plastic cover to make the lug nut look good. It would have been a lot easier to just manufacture a closed end lug nut - but they didn't feel it was safe.
But they feel they're safe now for the C6? Something doesn't smell right.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Think about the C4 Corvette for instance. GM used an open end lug nut and then provided a little plastic cover to make the lug nut look good. Richard Newton
97 through 02 C5s had open lug nuts as well. The 97-99 cars had a hub cap and used regular lug nuts. The 00-02 cars used the same style lug nut the C4s used. This was the best lug nut the C5s had but I believe a lot of waxers complained about losing the covers instead of making sure they were tight. In 03-04 we had the stupid stainless covered nuts that fall apart after a few removals. I purchased a set of the 00-02 lug nuts to use with my track wheels.

Bill
Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was great info for a newbie!

I just got back from NAPA where I purchased open end nuts to replace the stock nuts that I had been using.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry for all the confusion. Here's a good link.

Richard Newton
101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Interesting thread. I wonder why on my c5z/z16 they went backwards to a closed lug nut.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froggy47
Interesting thread. I wonder why on my c5z/z16 they went backwards to a closed lug nut.

A closed lug is perfectly safe if OEM wheels are used. I doubt GM is concerned much with liability on aftermarket wheels.

A closed lug is still perfectly safe with aftermarket studs or wheels if you take the time to do some measuring.

I can't believe you guys are running off to replace your lugs!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The way I learned it was you needed a minimum of four full turns of the lugnut. FWIW
Sorry but I have to correct this post. A 12X1.5 stud you would need 8 full turns.

Thanks
Randy
FYI, We sell a bunch of different studs for pretty much every Corvette application
www.dougrippie.com
Old 10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

When evaluating hardware I look to ensure hardware provides at least 1.5 thread past nut engagement. I can find the requirement if it is important but that seems to be a basic rule. Be careful on our lug nuts as they are not fully treaded but if you look into an open lug nut you can verify that the stud is long enough for your appliciation.

Get notified of new replies

To Lug Nuts

Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
A closed lug is perfectly safe if OEM wheels are used. I doubt GM is concerned much with liability on aftermarket wheels.

A closed lug is still perfectly safe with aftermarket studs or wheels if you take the time to do some measuring.

I can't believe you guys are running off to replace your lugs!
I'm not really concerned about my street car as I don't drive it at 150 MPH. However, my track car is another issue.

An open lug nut allows one to visually inspect that the nut is sufficiently engaged on the thread. Coupled with proper torque, there then is no question that everything is properly in place.

The drawback of a closed nut is that you can't visually determine how the threads are seated. You could even have some "crap" building up in the end of the closed nut that would allow you to acheive proper torque, but without enough threads being engaged. Granted, it might not occur very often, but anything possible will eventually happen.

It's a $20.00 fix that might prevent a catastrophic failure. My safety is worth much more than that.

Feel free to use any nuts you want.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So who has good lugs? I bought some from Summit Racing (12mm x 1.5) that fit fine, but they use a 13/16 socket which nothing else on the car does. I'm looking for some nuts that, at a minimum, use a metric socket... ideally I'd like a 17mm, 18mm or 19mm nut...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
So who has good lugs? I bought some from Summit Racing (12mm x 1.5) that fit fine, but they use a 13/16 socket which nothing else on the car does. I'm looking for some nuts that, at a minimum, use a metric socket... ideally I'd like a 17mm, 18mm or 19mm nut...

I bought some OEM Chevy juts here from a vendor. Local dealer wanted 110 for twenty vendor here was 55 Nuts and studs do wear after constant removal and replacement. Got my longer studs from DRM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lug Nuts