Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA ASP weight reduction legal mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SCCA ASP weight reduction legal mods

I'm trying to think of some ways I can get my car on a diet and maybe below 3,000 lbs without me in it. I've looked at some of the stickies on here, but it doesn't really show whats legal for an ASP Z06 in scca. Here is what I have so far that can be done...

Wheels - I'm running CCW Classics 17x10 fronts and 17x11 rears
Tires - I've got Hoosier A6's (315/35-17's on all corners)
Exhaust
Remove AC
Remove radio
Lighter clutch & flywheel
Lighter battery
steering wheel
racing seats

What else can we do and still be legal? Also, can anyone give an approximate weight that can be saved by these mods individually? Thanks in advance

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 10-16-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race seats will save a decent amount. I have seen anywhere from 10-50 lbs. listed for that mod in various places on the forum. With the new rule of 20 lbs. per seat minimum, you'd be looking at about 20 lbs. saved for the driver seat and 10 lbs. for the passenger seat.

The 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 CF hood will save 10 lbs. if I remember correctly, but it is very expensive.

Remember you can remove the speakers and the head unit for the radio, you just have to leave the wiring.

I know you can change the crank pulley but I do not know if that will save any weight over the stock one.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I forgot to mention seats... that is on my list to do over the winter. I'm planning on adding a harness bar, harnesses, and at least a race seat for the drivers side... maybe the passenger as well if I can have some extra left over. Other than what I just mentioned, I just wanted to try to find some weight to take out without having to spend alot of money to do so.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Bob at ATI...Look left <<<<<<< for his link button. He's prepped a couple of Z06s with Mr. Popp for ASP and knows how to reduce weight. It may not be cheap but it can be done.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Cheapest thing is to make sure that you are running as little fuel as possible. At 6.8 lbs/gallon, running more than necessary really adds weight quickly.

Doesn't make sense to spend money to lighten the car and then run lots of gas.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acrace
Cheapest thing is to make sure that you are running as little fuel as possible. At 6.8 lbs/gallon, running more than necessary really adds weight quickly.

Doesn't make sense to spend money to lighten the car and then run lots of gas.
I've been trying to do that as well. I usually start out with no more than 1/4 a tank for a local region which usually have about 6 runs. I could probably a little less and still be ok. I also run without any windshield washer fluid too.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I also run without any windshield washer fluid too.

Only cause you used it all up
Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

2890 lbs here.

I think you pretty much covered all the bases.

Good Luck ------

PS----I also have the stock mufflers----just no cats
Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Maybe a nice set of long-tube headers would drop a little more weight off, too. Gotta be lighter then the stock cast manifolds, and headers should give you a measurable increase in HP as a bonus...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
2890 lbs here.
It looks like you're a little underweight there David. Perhaps you should get rid of those front rims....

How about a light-weight racing altenator?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Only cause you used it all up
Shut up man... I swear, they just wouldn't turn off

BTW, the story on that is, Z06Fix and I were co-driving my car at a Nashville autoX event and as I was about leave the pit area to stage for my first run of the day, I apparently barely hit the littlee windshield washer button. Normally you push it in and it comes back out after it sprays a little fluid on the windshield. Problem was, the button stuck in and wouldn't turn off. As we finally figured out what the hell was going on, all of my washer fluid was on my windsheild and I had at least 3 inches of suds on the bottom of the windshield It was a mess. Since then, we just pulled the fuse to the wipers so it doesn't happen on course again.

Thanks guys, maybe sometime late next year... I can get some headers. I want to go with LG and get the O/R Xpipe with it. I will probably sell the Borla's for the Z06 TI catback as well sometime.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by TedDBere
It looks like you're a little underweight there David. Perhaps you should get rid of those front rims....

How about a light-weight racing altenator?
My altenator is stock. A lighter one I believe is legal in SM2.

PS---Ted, my fronts are the same as my rears--size that is----with TI fasteners like the Stock fronts I sold you.

But the 02 to 04 stock wheels are very light
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
...my fronts are the same as my rears--size that is...
This statement could be interpreted in SO many strange ways !!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Z06Fix said he found a rule on race seats that the seats have to be AT LEAST 20lbs. If thats the case, then there isn't much weight to save there. Does this rule mean the seat and the bracket both?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Z06Fix said he found a rule on race seats that the seats have to be AT LEAST 20lbs. If thats the case, then there isn't much weight to save there. Does this rule mean the seat and the bracket both?
Yes, it says in the new rule that it includes the mounting brackets. Like I said in my first post, this limits reduction to about 10 lbs. for the passenger seat and about 20 lbs. for the driver seat assuming you get seats and brackets that are right at the 20 lbs. limit. This does not account for the added weight of the harnesses and harness bar.

As for the alternator, 15.9.D says you can replace it but it has to be in the original location and have equal or greatly electrical output. I heard there was one made a while ago but I have no idea who made it or where you would go about getting one. If you do a search, it should pop up somewhere on the forum.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltborg
Yes, it says in the new rule that it includes the mounting brackets. Like I said in my first post, this limits reduction to about 10 lbs. for the passenger seat and about 20 lbs. for the driver seat assuming you get seats and brackets that are right at the 20 lbs. limit. This does not account for the added weight of the harnesses and harness bar.

As for the alternator, 15.9.D says you can replace it but it has to be in the original location and have equal or greatly electrical output. I heard there was one made a while ago but I have no idea who made it or where you would go about getting one. If you do a search, it should pop up somewhere on the forum.

Not trying to beat a deadhorse about this, but I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I go out and spend money on a race seat to try to be legal with. This is what I plan to go with seat wise...

Corbeau FX1 Pro seat with brackets
Hardbar Harness bar
4 or 5 point harness

Would this be ASP legal?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Not trying to beat a deadhorse about this, but I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I go out and spend money on a race seat to try to be legal with. This is what I plan to go with seat wise...

Corbeau FX1 Pro seat with brackets
Hardbar Harness bar
4 or 5 point harness

Would this be ASP legal?
I don't think you were beating a dead horse. I just figured I should clarify where I got those numbers since I didn't do a good job explain it before. As for those mods, you should be fine in ASP (unless the FX1's are less than 20 lbs).

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA ASP weight reduction legal mods

Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Just a clarification, per the October 2008 Fastrack the weight requirement for seats in SP classes has been removed and replaced with wording simply saying they must be "securely mounted per 3.3.3.8.2".
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by rhneff
Just a clarification, per the October 2008 Fastrack the weight requirement for seats in SP classes has been removed and replaced with wording simply saying they must be "securely mounted per 3.3.3.8.2".
Thank you sir
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
jay's2000
4th Gear

Michael,

Don't concern yourself with weight. It won't make that big of a difference. You will slowly shed pounds throughout your build. Losing the last 100 pounds will make your car less of a street car, and more of a sweltering hot box that constantly blows luke warm air on your face.

BTW, Junior Johnson's car IIRC, is something like 3,012 lbs. Dave's is probably the lightest at 2,890 lbs. I am at 2,990 lbs.

Jason Collett

-PS-----Dave's car might be 2875 if he would wash it every once and a while.

Quick Reply: SCCA ASP weight reduction legal mods