Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on Track Finally! SCCA Regional at Portland Oct 18-19

Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Back on Track Finally! SCCA Regional at Portland Oct 18-19

Well, about two and a half years after my crash at Pacific Raceways, I'm finally going to get back on the track this weekend (assuming I can start my car as I actually haven't run it since April), for an SCCA Regional Race at Portland International Raceway this weekend.

Part of the delay was the cost involved in essentially building a new car (Phoenix Performance did all the repair work). Part of the delay was my deploying four times since then. Between the two it was just too hard to get to the track.

But, the SCCA renewed my license this week (needed a waiver due to lack of participation last year) and I'm getting ready to go. Going to be lots of firsts for me here.
- First use of my shiny "new" car
- First SCCA race at PIR
- First use of my new for me 28' Timberwolf enclosed racecar trailer
- First use of my relatively new RV towing and at the track

Pretty excited going through all the preps: registering (did it online through a pretty cool motorsports registration website), getting the car ready (though it was basically ready from Phoenix), doing the mundane like charging my transponder, video recorder, etc.

Although its only a Regional and I'll likely have no one in my class, it still looks like I'll be on track with 20+ cars ranging from 911 GT2s to BMW 325s. Should be a great time. If anyone is around Portland this weekend, stop by and say hi.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

Woo Hoo!

I am glad for you Brad. I wish I could be there.

Oli

PS. What motorsport reg system did you use?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM
C66 Racing

Thanks Oli.

Emailing you the link as I'm not sure of posting a non-forum vendor link here. The Oregon Region's website took me there for online registration. Turned out I was already in the system from using it with the THZCC when I instructed with them a few years back. Website was pretty handy as it listed a whole ton of track day events all across the country.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
-
Although its only a Regional and I'll likely have no one in my class, it still looks like I'll be on track with 20+ cars ranging from 911 GT2s to BMW 325s. Should be a great time. If anyone is around Portland this weekend, stop by and say hi.
Brad,

Will be at Thunderhill this weekend so won't see you. However, there is a huge Spec Miata contingent there that is very welcoming and helpful. I have a couple buddies in that group, Ken in # 94 and Bruce in # 68 or Tom in a really ugly green # 00. If you need anything stop by their pits and tell them that Ed said (what ever you need).

Take a wide berth in turn 7. Aim for the flag stand, go to the last stripe marker on your left and then turn in and hit the gas. the back stretch is the longest straightaway on the track. (Presume that the Festival curve will be in use)

good luck.

Ed
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Wish I was up there already. Good luck with the race. And email me this "registration system" thing you speak of. Once I'm up there I'll need to hit the track, its been too long.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM
C66 Racing

Ed,
Thanks for the info and have fun at Thunderhill. I would've gone to that event if my license waiver hadn't come through. Now I'm on a quest to get enough races in before April when my license expires again. Complicating things, I have another deployment this winter.

Mike,
Email sent!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Ed,
I have another deployment this winter.
Till then, burn up some tires
Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Brad,

Awesome to hear you'll be back on track. Have fun, go fast, and bring it home as shiny as you took it!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 PM
C66 Racing

Thanks all.

Diary of an SCCA race weekend:
I'm on leave today and used the day for some odds and ends in preps for the race this weekend. Kind of amazing how much goes into a track weekend as I stop to think about it:
- Got my 28' trailer and Vette out of storage (still a little intimidated by that big trailer), connected the Vette battery and the car fired right up. Sounds awesome with straight through pipes aft of the stock headers (by SCCA T1 rules).
- The brakes were really soft, but a bleed appears to have fixed that. Used AMSOIL's new DOT 4 racing fluid. Likely still some air trapped in the system after the car was completely rebuilt.
- Replaced my trailers emergency brake activator as the old one's line was cut. Also replaced the trailers emergency tow chains as the old ones were really rusted. The new ones I got are pretty nice coiled, braided wire enclosed in plastic - won't rust and won't drag on the ground. Also replaced a few lights on the trailer that had burned out. Greased the trailer axle bearings and refilled the tires.
- Went to put my new transponder on only to find that Phoenix had done a beautiful job installing a permanent one already. Really should have read that invoice more closely. Anyone need a transponder?
- Updated my transponder number with the race registrar.
- Checked all the Vette fluid levels, suspension bolts, brake system, etc.
- Put my video camera, car radio batteries on a charge.
- Bought food (actually got some help from my wife on that one).
- Bought some new tie down straps that better fit the d-rings on the floor of my enclosed trailer.
- Got my RV out of storage, topped off its potable water.
- Printed all the race entry paperwork.

All in all a good day.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great news Brad, have fun and welcome back!

Aaron
Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
C66 Racing

First day of practice and qualifying in the "new" car done and all went very well.

Trip down yesterday in the RV and David Pintaric's old 28' trailer were uneventful... which was nice. I was a little worried about towing that big thing behind my RV, especially leaving in rush hour, but the drive was very easy and we got here in time for registration last night.

The folks at the Pacific Division and Oregon Region have been great and really went out of their way to help get me back on on track. Many of them took time out of their day to come by and say hi. Good people.

The new pavement at PIR is fantastic. The track is so smooth! Turn 7 has been significantly changed since I did a DE here way back in 02 and seems to be much tighter slowing entry onto the back straight. The morning session was a interesting as it rained last night and the track was wet but drying for my first session. I went out on A6s and took it easy and just checked out the car, water temps, oil temps, bedded in the brakes, etc. Interesting group of cars in that first session. My group is PCA1-4, T1, T2, AS but we also ran with GT1 and ITE this morning. A beautiful ITE C6 Z06 blew by me in the wet and spun in Turn 8 somehow managing to miss all the concrete back there. Looked like a wild ride though...

The afternoon qualifying was sunny and warm. Gorgeous day up here in Portland today. Car ran great, SCCA timing apparently didn't. When I checked the time sheets they had no time for me. Thought it might be a problem with my new transponder but I checked it and it is on and blinking. Turns out they had problems with their system, but had a backup - the timer just didn't look at it for the provisional grid. His backup didn't log my fastest lap, at least it didn't match my pitcrew's time of it, but no matter. I'll start 7th of 24 in a mixed group for a qualifying sprint race tomorrow morning (never done one of those) and I'll likely move up a few spots for the afternoon main. There are a couple really fast PCA cars including a fully track prepped GT2 that is extremely quick, about six seconds a lap faster than I was.

Overall, Phoenix Performance did a fantastic job rebuilding my car for me and it ran great all day. Oil temps are low (216F highest noted), water temps are low (somewhere between 190-200F), did a complete nut and bolt on it after the first session and everything was rock solid.

But, a note of caution to those tracking the car, check your rotor's often. My right rear cracked through during the afternoon session (or maybe as it cooled as I couldn't feel it on track). Not sure how much life was on the rotor as I had it on the car and Phoenix didn't replace the rears. But, it was in good condition without excessive spider cracks.

Looking forward to racing tomorrow. It's good to be back on track!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck out there, Brad!

What kind (size/diesel) RV do you have pulling that 28 footer?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 AM
C66 Racing

Had a great race yesterday, short story started sprint race 7th of 24 moved up to second, then faded to 4th on the last few laps due what turned out to be fuel starvation (1/8 tank). Started main 4th, finished 2nd behind the totally race prepped Porsche GT2. Had to work today and just got the RV and trailer put back in storage. I'll post up more info later this week - but wow I had a great time!!!

Falcon: I bought a Four Winds Kodiak 32B. This is built on the GMC (Chevy branded) 5500 series truck chasis and has the 6.6L Duramax and an Allison tranny. Rated at a GCWR of 26,000 with a 10,000 lb towing capacity. Probably towed it at near max capacity and it did great. Coolant, oil temp, tranny temp all stayed normal and it handled well despite the total overall length. But, I think I'm going to look into some anti-sway bars for added safety.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Great to hear Brad
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Fantastic news Brad! It is god to hear that you are back on the track. A little off topic, (but not for you), we went to the Commissioning ceremony of the newest speed boat in the navy, the USS New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH Sunday.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

A beautiful ITE C6 Z06 blew by me in the wet and spun in Turn 8 somehow managing to miss all the concrete back there. Looked like a wild ride though...
That guy goes off all the time.
I was supposed to be there, but the guys I crew for decided not to race. Maybe I'll catch you next spring. Congrats on getting back on track. BTW: what kind of times did you run?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by ghoffman
A little off topic, (but not for you), we went to the Commissioning ceremony of the newest speed boat in the navy, the USS New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH Sunday.

Commissionings are a big part of Navy tradition. I'm glad to got a chance to see one of the new Virginia Class subs getting commissioned. They are fantastic boats.

Brian,
Good to hear from you. I figured you weren't there. I went by the pit of the team I thought you were working with four or five times on Saturday and didn't see you, then they were gone when I went by on Sunday. Hoping to do several more races up here before moving to DC next summer, so I'm sure we'll cross paths. FYI, I ran in the mid 1:16s on six heat cycle A6s without trying very hard. No idea how that fast/slow that is on the new configuration/pavement.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
BCBowers
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on getting back out there Brad

Get notified of new replies

To Back on Track Finally! SCCA Regional at Portland Oct 18-19

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back on Track Finally! SCCA Regional at Portland Oct 18-19