Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Steve49841
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 4th gear

The car, an 02 Z06, has half a dozen track days on it and is stuck in 4th gear. The service manual says it's either a bent shift fork or a faulty shifter. I would like to eliminate the shifter posibility before we remove the transmission, the question is how to do that. Has anyone ever actually found the shifter to be the problem? Next question, does anyone have a box they would like to sell? And finally, does anyone know a shop that can ship a rebuilt so I don't have to have my car sit on a lift for two weeks while they rebuild mine?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve49841
The car, an 02 Z06, has half a dozen track days on it and is stuck in 4th gear. The service manual says it's either a bent shift fork or a faulty shifter. I would like to eliminate the shifter posibility before we remove the transmission, the question is how to do that. Has anyone ever actually found the shifter to be the problem? Next question, does anyone have a box they would like to sell? And finally, does anyone know a shop that can ship a rebuilt so I don't have to have my car sit on a lift for two weeks while they rebuild mine?
RPM trans can provide can ship you out a rebuilt Z06 trans to minimize your down time. It was much less expensive, though, for me to wait the 2 weeks (most of this was freight transit time) for them to rebuild my unit. This was because virtually all my parts were in brand new condition--it only had 14kmi.
Mine was stuck as yours is and I have heard this a lot on the forum--haven't heard it ever being the shifter.

RPM is top notch. They found in my case that the cheap slider keys GM uses split and jammed the mechanism.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

5th gear is usually a problem as well.
rockland gear in NY rebuilds them.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
RPM is top notch. They found in my case that the cheap slider keys GM uses split and jammed the mechanism.

Good luck.
I've seen this happen twice before, they only use the billet keys for 1/2 for 3/4 and 5/6 they are stamped. What a pain the whole tranny is locked up over a $1 part. This is a total bean-counter move on GM's part. I've had good luck with RPM in the past as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 AM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help diagnose the problem, but I had my tranny fail on my. RPM Transmission shipped out a new tranny for me and we sent them back the core of the failed one. So your car doesn't need to be out of commission for 2 weeks while you deal with this. www.rpmtransmissions.com. Great reputation from what I could find on the Forum, and they didn't fail me.

I know people who have been happy with Rockland, too.

Jeff
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Just take the palm of your hand and jam it out of gear. It will work fine for a while but it's probably a bent fork.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I've seen this happen twice before, they only use the billet keys for 1/2 for 3/4 and 5/6 they are stamped. What a pain the whole tranny is locked up over a $1 part. This is a total bean-counter move on GM's part. I've had good luck with RPM in the past as well.
Those bean counter moves have no place in a $50k car.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Its not a bent fork, and most likely a slider key that is broken. very common problem.

If you put a lot of pressure towards neutral, and blip the gas and create a bucking situation ( very quick load and unload of the drivetrain) it will come out.

Just dont put it in 3rd or 4th, as it will stick back in gear.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:08 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve49841
PM or email me. I have a guy who does fix. but I have been sworn not to give the information away

These guys are right. it is the key that causes the gear to get stuck. Very common for all T56 trannys on a lot of race cars nationwide.

Same thing happened to me. i have a tranny tech that custom modded my tranny and i have the only Corvette in the USA with this fix. And it fixes it permanently! and it is a lot cheaper than buying an RPM tranny!

the cheap (ie lighter)key is actually the better way to go. if you put steel keys in it can get worse and then when it breaks it breaks a lot of other stuff. tranny engineers are not that stupid or that cheap.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:50 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a replace or rebuild, but whaddya goin' to do??? Same thing happened on my '02Z. Sux.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in 4th gear

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th gear