Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 rear tie rod end boot problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 PM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z51 rear tie rod end boot problems

If I recall correctly, the owners manual suggest that we grease the rear tie rod ends at the end of each track day. I've been doing this religiously and adding in two pumps from a grease gun on each side, at the end of a track day. The grease goes in, but any excess does not ooze out of the boot, and the boot seems to get bigger. I've noticed that the tie rod ends always have a thin coating of grease, as I figure the heat from the brakes liquifies the grease a little and allows it to seap past the boot seals. I also wrapped the tie rod ends (front and rear) with exhaust wrap, hoping to help extend the life of the tie rod ends.

I just started doing my post track event maintenance (Watkins Glen with Trackmasters...had a great time) and noticed the rear tie rod end boots torn on the side facing the brake rotor, and the grease leak out onto the inside of my rear wheels. I guess the heat, combined with the internal pressure of the grease caused it to rupture.

I have a few questions:

1. Have other people have had a similar experience with the Z51 rear tie rod ends? Does greasing them after each event is actually leading to boot failures? What is special about the rear, that we have serviceable tie rod ends there, but not on the fronts?

2. Are there replacement boots for the rear tie rod ends? I'm confident that the ball joint itself is still good, as there is still a fair amount of grease inside the torn boot, so I don't want to spend the money on new tie rod ends, on account of a torn rubber boot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrap both front and rear tie rod ends with thermal header wrap.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:21 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C4/C5 tie-rod boots from Energy Suspension fit and last longer. Dig around for a post by David Farmer to get the part numbers.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Header wrap works but it is a PITA. I use some .062 aluminum for a heat shield, works great.

Last edited by ghoffman; 10-12-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 AM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Now that I know the C5 boots will fit the C6, I dug deeper and found the following from forum member QuickCorvettes:

"In my last car, a 2005 Z51, I melted all four boots doing HPDE. I replaced just the boots with Energy Suspension boots. I bought them at Autozone for $12. Buy the ones for C5 as they don't make a C6 boot. They are the same diameter and they will fit perfectly. Once they harden up, the seal is great."

"The quick fix are Energy Suspension 9.13101R $6 at autozone for two. Be sure to clean the around the tie rod and repack with high temp grease. Clean the area well after seating and spray the inside brake rotor with brake clean. "

I just called my local Autozone and they do have the part. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:42 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Yo
Thanks for the tips. Now that I know the C5 boots will fit the C6, I dug deeper and found the following from forum member QuickCorvettes:

"In my last car, a 2005 Z51, I melted all four boots doing HPDE. I replaced just the boots with Energy Suspension boots. I bought them at Autozone for $12. Buy the ones for C5 as they don't make a C6 boot. They are the same diameter and they will fit perfectly. Once they harden up, the seal is great."

"The quick fix are Energy Suspension 9.13101R $6 at autozone for two. Be sure to clean the around the tie rod and repack with high temp grease. Clean the area well after seating and spray the inside brake rotor with brake clean. "

I just called my local Autozone and they do have the part. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

what ever you put it needs protection.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 rear tie rod end boot problems

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 rear tie rod end boot problems