Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runoffs Touring-1 results and stories!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Runoffs Touring-1 results and stories!

Wow, crazy race, wish I could have made it.

Short synopsis - AJ in control for most of the race with Ed Z's 360 right on his heels. Late in race AJ falls out with motor issues ( correction, no motor issue in AJ's car, the internet coverage announcer had it wrong!! ) and a back marker also causes issues, putting Ed in front with Buttermore right on his heels, but the race is finished under caution due to the backmarker incident.

On the first lap, Ingle and Lynch get into one another, spinning off and having to claw back through the pack, Ingle doing better, Lynch spinning again.

Couple of blown motors the biggest being Mike Tracy Jr's LS3 going in a big way.

Lots of other stories but I'd like to give congrats to Dave Sanders on a clean race and awesome 4th place finish. He's a consistant competitor!

Impound Finishers:

1. Ed Zabinski Ferrari 360
2. John Buttermore Jr. C6 LS2
3. Scott Tucker Ferrari 360
4. David Sanders C5
5. Chris Ingle C6 LS3
6. Jerry Onks C5

Oli got hard Charger award!

Good job to all, i really like the diversity of the finishers, it's going to make next year at Road America just awesome!!! I'm not missing that!!

Joe

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 10-11-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:48 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Congrats guys - sounds like a heck of a race! Joe - any idea what happened to Stan Wilson? I'm surprised to see him way at the bottom.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Wow, crazy race, wish I could have made it.

Late in race AJ falls out with motor issues and a back marker also causes issues, putting Ed in front with Buttermore right on his heels, but the race is finished under caution due to the backmarker incident.

Joe

Not exactly, Joe.

Actually, AJ was about to lap Natha Waldbaum when she had a mechanical issue with her right rear brake caliper. She spun in front of AJ and he had nowhere to go. AJ made contact with the spinning Waldbaum car, damaging his right front wheel and causing total loss of air in the tire. He limped the car around to the front stretch. Game over....

The course was double yellowed and finished behind the pace car.

AJ drove a great race and was robbed of a repeat victory in T-1 after qualifying on the pole and leading all laps prior to the Waldbaum spin as she was being lapped.

Steve
Old 10-11-2008, 06:48 PM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

A correction to joe Gaudette's post...

AJ did not have any engine problems... Where did you get that from Joe??

On lap 14, just as Andrew was pulling away from Ed, Natha Waldbaum spun in turn 12 right in front of Aj... Not sure of which way she was going, he went right, then left and his right front tire was flattened in the hit... almost missed her...

Turns out that Natha had had a caliper fail in the right rear and it ground thru the wheel and she had a flat tire.. Not sure how she did not feel that...

Ed and John B2 got by without any incident... But that caused a full course caution...

Also not sure what happened to Stan Wilson... I think he had a coming together with another car.. Was it jerry onx?

Jim Lynch got into Chris ingle and Scott Tucker at the start... I think...

Ed Z ran a great clean race with AJ they had a lot of fun duking it out... John Buttermore also had a great run and was in it the whole way...

Congrats to everyone, starting with Ed and Scott in those fabulous ferraris, and to JB and all the other competitors who finished...

It was a fun race...

Maybe everyone else who was there could fill in the gaps with accurate info...

Joe
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats to my good friend, Oli, for earning the Hard Charger Award!

Meanwhile, back in San Diego, the ex-McGinley T1 car was treated to fluid changes (engine oil, tranny, diff, and brake.) Yes, the excitement never stops, here. Racing at Buttonwillow in 2 weeks.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaphoenix32
Yep, I was on the inside heading down the hill and Lynch hit me in the left door and LR quarter panel...never even made it to turn 1. I had a great start and was at least 4th...and went to dead last in the blink of an eye...had to work my way back thru traffic...car pretty banged up. Damn.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe and Steve,

Post corrected about AJ's issues. The announcer for the internet broadcast had said AJ was slowing before the contact due to a motor issue.

Joe
Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I just talked to Oli, sounds like it was a wild race.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaphoenix32
A correction to joe Gaudette's post...

AJ did not have any engine problems... Where did you get that from Joe??

On lap 14, just as Andrew was pulling away from Ed, Natha Waldbaum spun in turn 12 right in front of Aj... Not sure of which way she was going, he went right, then left and his right front tire was flattened in the hit... almost missed her...

Turns out that Natha had had a caliper fail in the right rear and it ground thru the wheel and she had a flat tire.. Not sure how she did not feel that...

Ed and John B2 got by without any incident... But that caused a full course caution...

Also not sure what happened to Stan Wilson... I think he had a coming together with another car.. Was it jerry onx?

Ed Z ran a great clean race with AJ they had a lot of fun duking it out... John Buttermore also had a great run and was in it the whole way...

Congrats to everyone, starting with Ed and Scott in those fabulous ferraris, and to JB and all the other competitors who finished...

It was a fun race...

Maybe everyone else who was there could fill in the gaps with accurate info...

Joe
Damn, Joe. I find it amazing you can post such upbeat comments after the two days you just experienced.

The announcer on the Live Internet Audio feed did say AJ's motor went south, but he also said the car was "crabbing" at one point as well.

I spoke with Stan, Andy and Chris tonight and NONE sounded very upbeat, understandably so. I recieved a text from JB2 and he is fuming as well.

Tough week of racing, hopefully next September will be better (with a third Viper as well). I missed you guys, truly missed being there.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I should add a note of congratulations to Oli for staying out of trouble, bringing his car home in one piece, and not least of all, getting the hard charger award.

Way to go Oli!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

David...

Well, not much point in whining and crying...

It was a very stressful two days of racing so far and we still have SSB and A sedan to go yet..

Racing is racing and full of unexpected happenings sometimes... That is probably one reason we all race, the thrill of being forged in the crucible of the unknown. And sometimes you learn more in defeat...

Lets celebrate the success and good side of things and focus on the positives..

AJ and Ed Z had a magnificent battle for 14 or so laps.. Neither one gave an inch and they ran clean within inches of each other, never touched, no bumping, no bashing and no mistakes, and put on a great show. It was a great duel between too drivers who were driving their hearts out.. The cars were pretty well matched and the drivers were doing their part. I am proud of both of them!!

We will see all that on TV when it airs...

JB2 hung in there as well and was within striking distance the entire race... I am sure he knew that one slip up on their part and the race was his...

Lost in all this is Scott Tuckers drive to third, Dave Sanders in fourth, Chris Ingles drive back from dead last to fifth and Jerry's drive to sixth after a really trying week I think of wrestling with his car. There are more stories to be told and the other participants will fill in where they can..

Above all there was the comraderie and friendship and seeing old friends and talking and sharing ideas, viewpoints and opinions... I think David, you would have enjoyed being there...

It was a show up ftont and not a parade and there are many stories yet to be told of T-1 SCCA members and workers and volunteers and officials who worked long and hard to make this event the best they could... All of it s what makes T1 so intrigueing.

And lets celebate our new champion ED Z and his Ferrari..

No one likes to finish under a caution, But lets give Ed credit, he earned that position and he has all of my respect for a magnificent drive and clean racing.

Finally, as a foot note, the level 5 team is truly a first class operation... The level of professionalism and image that Scott Tucker and his team brings to the paddock and the event is truly impressive..

Good job Scott and congratulations.

Joe

Last edited by jfaphoenix32; 10-12-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Joe

Tear them up in SSB and A Sedan
Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Though sorry to see it ended in this fashion, congrats to Ed and Ferrari for their win. Like David, I'm going to make my best effort to be there with you guys next year as I roll onto shore duty next summer.

Chris, sorry to see you spun out at the start, but nice job working your way back up through the field.

Oli,
Congrats on the hard charger award. I won that in 04... though I'm not sure what it got me.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Runoffs Touring-1 results and stories!

Quick Reply: Runoffs Touring-1 results and stories!