Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed - Street Tires and Brake Pads

Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Advice Needed - Street Tires and Brake Pads

Planning on running my Vredestein street tires at Hallett instead of R compounds just for a change and to see how they do.

Not sure which pads to run. In the garage I currently have:

- Base C6 pads (non Z51)
- C5 Z06 pads
- Hawk HPS
- Hawk HP+
- Carbotech 10/8
- Wilwood H
- Hawk HT14
- Hawk DTC70
- PFC 01

What do you think would work best. I don't want too much or too little pad.....

TIA

Rick
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

C5z
Old 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Agreed, or perhaps the HP+.

A note of concern however....if you own all these and swap around trying one or the other this may be a problem for you. With the different manufactures and pad materials you may encounter a severe build up of transfer that the next pad cannot easily get past. I've seen this many times in particular on the PFC pads. The high carbon content is often smeared over by the next pad tried resulting in poor performance from the second pad.

If I were to be "pad testing" I'd be certain that the rotors were at least hand sanded between pads to try and obtain the best base iron finish I could before I put the new compound to it.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got Vredesteins and have been using the Carbo 10/8 combination with lots of success
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I've got Vredesteins and have been using the Carbo 10/8 combination with lots of success
I was going to suggest trying the Carbotechs as well. While they might have a little bit too much initial bite, they won't fade on you like many of the others will.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I agree on the Carbo combo or something similar, don't use the C5Z pads. I ran those at Road America and didn't like them at all. I could not use my brakes to the max as they would fade. You may have better ducting then I though.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE

A note of concern however....if you own all these and swap around trying one or the other this may be a problem for you. With the different manufactures and pad materials you may encounter a severe build up of transfer that the next pad cannot easily get past. I've seen this many times in particular on the PFC pads. The high carbon content is often smeared over by the next pad tried resulting in poor performance from the second pad.

If I were to be "pad testing" I'd be certain that the rotors were at least hand sanded between pads to try and obtain the best base iron finish I could before I put the new compound to it.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE

Todd,

Thanks for the input. I always have "fresh" rotors with a pad change. Either new or cleaned up.

I have a bunch of different pads as whenever I come across a deal I buy them. Either at the track, ebay or the forum. I have track friends who sell their vette or upgrade brakes and give me a hell of a deal on all their leftovers. One friend recently bought an Ariel and he basically gave me 20 boxes of various pads, many new/unused. Can never have too many pads. I buy a lot of used pads from racers who sell with lots of life left for a track day guy like me.....

Rick

P.S. I'm the guy who bought 3 sets of the Wilwood H's from you last week.

Last edited by rikhek; 10-11-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Planning on running my Vredestein street tires at Hallett instead of R compounds just for a change and to see how they do.

Not sure which pads to run. In the garage I currently have:

- Base C6 pads (non Z51)
- C5 Z06 pads
- Hawk HPS
- Hawk HP+
- Carbotech 10/8
- Wilwood H
- Hawk HT14
- Hawk DTC70
- PFC 01

What do you think would work best. I don't want too much or too little pad.....

TIA

Rick
I would recommend using the pads beginning with the Carbotechs on down. Just made the mistake of trying a different pad than my usual (Carbotech) setup last week. Won't blame or name the pad brand as I made the decision based upon the "track pad suitable for street" description and went with it. Big mistake on my part. Had my foot so far into the pedal I felt like Fred Flintstone trying get the braking I was accustomed to and expected. Results were my lines were way off and just plain made any consistency impossible. Final straw was rotor suffered a radial fracture early in afternoon ending the day as I was staying on the brakes much harder/longer than with other pads.

Sorry for the long explanation but you can see where this ended up so stay with proven track performers regardless of your tire choice. I would much rather have too much brake torque/no fade than the alternative. Good luck.

A1
Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the stock C5Z pads are up to the track, at least the times I've used them. They fade pretty quick, and wear really fast at high temps, and they have terrible bite at temp.

Here's a pic of a brand new Carbotech XP10 (right) next to a GM C5Z pad (center) after 100 miles on the track/1 event (pads only had a few thousand street miles before this). On the left is an XP10 after 4 hard track days, and 2000 miles of street driving. All were used with F1 SC's.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I don't think the stock C5Z pads are up to the track
I totally agree, I only used them based on many comments here about how good they were. They did not work well for me for track use, however they are doing great for a street pad though!!! I had fade and wore them away at least twice as fast as my normal Carbos.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

xp10 and xp8 but i am biased good luck with the event which ever way you go.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice Needed - Street Tires and Brake Pads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Street Tires and Brake Pads