Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on first REAL DE, and a power steering and tire wear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Thoughts on first REAL DE, and a power steering and tire wear question

Hey, folks, just recently did my first event with The Drivers Edge out at Motorsports Ranch, running the 3.1 course. It was a blast, ran about 180 miles over two days.

TDE put me in the Green novice group, since I'd not run with any other recognized DE organization. That was fine with me, I'd not run the full 3.1 course before. Four sessions in Green on Saturday and they bumped me up one class into Blue for Sunday.

During the first Blue session I experienced a short loss of power steering boost (probably a half lap). I've had this happen before out at MSR, never during an autocross. It was just like the PS just shut off, then when it came back it was fine for the rest of the session (actually for the rest of the day). Note that my '00 FRC comes stock with the Z51 power steering cooler, and when I checked after the session was over the PS fluid was clear, and hadn't boiled over.

Could the PS pump gone into some kind of bypass mode?

Second question has to do with tire wear. I'm wearing the inside of my autocross and track tires faster than the outside. I'm running about -1.0 front, -0.75 rear camber, and about 1/16" toe out front, 1/16" toe in rear.

Street tires I would understand, but I expected to wear the outer edges more on my track tires.

Am I missing something?

Oh, and I got signed off solo in Blue on Sunday.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
HSecond question has to do with tire wear. I'm wearing the inside of my autocross and track tires faster than the outside. I'm running about -1.0 front, -0.75 rear camber, and about 1/16" toe out front, 1/16" toe in rear.

Street tires I would understand, but I expected to wear the outer edges more on my track tires.

Am I missing something?

Have a good one,
Mike

Good for you Mike, yes your probably not going around the corners fast enough
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Could the PS pump gone into some kind of bypass mode?
Was the PS fluid fresh? Most likely the PS pump is just about to go. Replace it ASAP

Second question has to do with tire wear. I'm wearing the inside of my autocross and track tires faster than the outside. I'm running about -1.0 front, -0.75 rear camber, and about 1/16" toe out front, 1/16" toe in rear.

Am I missing something?

Have a good one,
Mike
Yup too slow on corners.

front should be -2.0 , rear -1.0 or more if a dedicated track auto-x car

toe looks fine.

caster, max but equal
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Too slow, Greeaaatttt, it's always the driver's fault.

The PS fluid wasn't new, but not that old. It's never done it on an autocross course, but no big surprise there since it's short runs (although a lot of steering input).

The weird thing (to me at least) is that it only happened once that weekend, and never gave me a bit of trouble before or after. No whining out of the pump, nothing.

Still, the pump wearing out was my first thought as well. Hey, 7 years of autocrossing and 176,xxx miles, it's not like I didn't get my money's worth, huh?

Thanks for the insight (and yeah, I'll work on that "slow" thing), and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm wearing the inside of my autocross and track tires faster than the outside. I'm running about -1.0 front, -0.75 rear camber, and about 1/16" toe out front, 1/16" toe in rear.
Any idea what your hot tire pressures were? I wonder if they were too high.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on first REAL DE, and a power steering and tire wear question

Quick Reply: Thoughts on first REAL DE, and a power steering and tire wear question