Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First C5 Z06 Auto-x: a few impressions/questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default First C5 Z06 Auto-x: a few impressions/questions

I just completed my first auto-x in my new (to me) '03 Z06. My past auto-x experience was in a DSP MGB and a bit in my '95 Impala SS (talk about "weight transfer ". This is kind of a ramble

First impression was...fast. Very fast. I'd been into it a little bit off the track, but getting unwound (through 2nd, anyway) on the course really shows how fast these beasts are. I didn't really feel that the car had any handling "vices", other than an intolerance for a heavy foot in corner transitions (what a surprise). I was really surprised at how light and agile the car felt considering it's size. The stock brakes were incredible, and I didn't find the anti-lock all day, which I recognize means that I can accelerate a little deeper and brake a little harder. I can definitely see that some sort of better harness is required as well as some race tires. I have a 2nd set of Z06 wheels and I will be running race rubber next year.

Questions:
One of the biggest changes for me in learning auto-x was learning to look (and think) ahead - I'm finding in the Z06 I gotta look (and think) WAY ahead. I was behind the car the whole day. Thoughts on how to approach this other than "yep, that's what you need to do"?

I have to admit that once I hit 2nd gear I was pretty much treating the car like it had an auto; I shamefully don't remember touching the clutch even once during the runs, but I also don't recall the R's dropping below about 2K. I'm also going to practice some 2nd gear starts. I feel like this is a really, really dumb question...but should I be hitting the clutch every time I hit the brakes?

Finally, the approach seems to be "point and squirt", which is very different than what I had to do in the MGB Accelerate hard, brake late, hard and straight, turn, accelerate out. Am I missing something here?

Go easy on me - I'm just learning this beast
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I had my 1st autocross in my new to me Z06 this weekend as well... 2002

I went from a DS Cobalt SS... so I can relate to the same issues....

I found myself thinking about HOW to look ahead better with how much more quickly things come up.

I would say that you shouldn't need to be touching the clutch unless you are trying to settle/un-settle the car, but you can do that with the brakes ( i would think.. ) as well. I didn't touch mine either.

I had the TC/AH turned off as well, and there's alot of reward for patience and throttle managment from what I can tell. I had an open diff in the SS, so I'm used to being that way, so it was a quick adjustment for me.

I am looking forward to the last auto-x of the year this weekend... running it in our "street tire index" just to have some fun.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billla
I can definitely see that some sort of better harness is required as well as some race tires. I have a 2nd set of Z06 wheels and I will be running race rubber next year.
Just pull the bottom of your seatbelt all the way out and then retract it to lock and then put your seat to the position you like.

One of the biggest changes for me in learning auto-x was learning to look (and think) ahead - I'm finding in the Z06 I gotta look (and think) WAY ahead. I was behind the car the whole day. Thoughts on how to approach this other than "yep, that's what you need to do"?
I have to keep telling myself 'now look for that cone.'

I have to admit that once I hit 2nd gear I was pretty much treating the car like it had an auto; I shamefully don't remember touching the clutch even once during the runs, but I also don't recall the R's dropping below about 2K. I'm also going to practice some 2nd gear starts. I feel like this is a really, really dumb question...but should I be hitting the clutch every time I hit the brakes?
FWIW I tried some downhill second gear starts on Sunday and the data logger said 1st gear and then shifting was faster. I don't clutch and brake unless for some really tight uphill thingy has me downshifting to 1.

Finally, the approach seems to be "point and squirt", which is very different than what I had to do in the MGB Accelerate hard, brake late, hard and straight, turn, accelerate out. Am I missing something here?
Sometimes it's fun to get the backend a little slideways.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting into 2nd and keeping it there is perfect unless you are running in a really, REALLY tiny lot with tight 180s. Don't worry about going back down to first, especially if you are new. The chance that you will blow the shift and lose time is bigger than the small amount you might gain by accelerating in first.

And definitely keep your foot off the clutch when on the brakes. I hope you aren't doing this on the street. It's a good way to end up backwards if you end up doing it in the rain or something.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you need to look ahead, but the bigger problem in the Z06 is target fixation, IMHO. Things happen soooo much faster in the Z that there's a tendency to fixate on a key cone, and once you get to it you look up late and now you're behind for the next element.

Keep your eyes moving.

I can count on one hand the number of times I had to downshift last season, and even then I'm not sure it was quicker. Shift to second and then stick your left foot on the dead pedal and drive. Don't touch the clutch unless you are trying to unbalance the car.

Forget about a second gear start, except maybe in the rain. West coast people seem to like this stategy because Dietz has used it, but I've heard him say he only uses it when there is no start at all...whatever that means.

Two strategies on the start: short shift to second at the first lift or stay in first as long as possible to redline. The course layout will determine which strategy you choose.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That's what makes this fun. However, don't overdrive into the turns and stuff the turns, that will make you slower. I think you'll find the speed maintanence stuff you learned in the MGB will help you get around the turns quickly. Drive the same and use the accelleration to improve your times.

Good luck and stay safe!!

Last edited by TedDBere; 10-07-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You are correct in saying the Z is surprisingly agile. I run with SCCA and the local PCA chapter and they both have a habit of setting up their courses with very tight corners. The PCA club members have even said they do that on purpose to hinder the Corvettes that show up. One thing about our long wheel base cars is their tendency to understeer badly. You can compensate for this by either braking sooner to kill speed or trail brake into the corner to help transfer the weight to the front tires. I have found that the AH/TC absolutely kills time on an autox course. You shouldn't be using the clutch unless you are too far down below your torque curve to be able to get back up to speed. Put on a set of DOT or R compounds which are allowed in SS and you'll kick everyones tail.

I have a couple of AutoX videos on my YT page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/68ray
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Yes you need to look ahead, but the bigger problem in the Z06 is target fixation, IMHO. Things happen soooo much faster in the Z that there's a tendency to fixate on a key cone, and once you get to it you look up late and now you're behind for the next element.

Keep your eyes moving.
This has been the biggest thing for me to overcome in driving these cars. Talking with some of the drivers I know, they feel they do their best when they are able to keep their eyes up and moving to scan everything without fixating on a point. It takes a lot of practice but if you can make yourself do it every time you drive and even when you ride, it starts to become second nature. For me it just took seat time and patience. Just remember to be safe and have fun.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Here's a good learning video for you on the pain of over driving. Watch the video first then read the lesson below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtxPoDMK-yk

On that run I lost close to 2 seconds because of overdriving 2 corners.

At 32 seconds you can hear me squirt the gas. That squirt pushed me wide on the next turn which made me late to the gas. I should have been on the gas at 34 seconds, instead I'm fighting to get the car back on line and don't accelerate strong until about 37 seconds.

The second lesson is at 52 seconds where I squirt the gas again, which now makes me late all the way until 59 seconds. I should have been accellerating at 54 seconds coming out of the slalom and again at 57 seconds heading into the finish runway.

Those two moments of over-agressive throttle application cost me almost 2 seconds on that run. Just because you can squirt doesn't mean you should.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

hardest part for me to learn was to turn sooner on slalom cones. If you are not clipping the occasional cone with your rear tire, you're not turning in soon enough.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

This is all fantastic - keep it coming

For traction control; is the wisdom to turn it OFF or to "Competition Mode"?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Comp mode is just as bad as all on in my experience for autox.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

This is all fantastic - keep it coming

Off. You're there to learn how to drive. Not much chance of stuffing it into a fence at most autox.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Questions:
One of the hardest things to learn. One thing I've just learned is to physically turn your head before your eyes get to their limits. From there you have to make a conscious decision to look ahead.

I feel like this is a really, really dumb question...but should I be hitting the clutch every time I hit the brakes?
NEVER. This allows the engine rpm to drop down well below where it will need to be when you re-engage the gears; a great way to get the rear tires sliding. One of the main "newbie" mistakes I see made.

At first that's the approach. As you get more seat time, you'll find the Vette responds to arcing the turns between the gates just like lower-powered cars; it's just that the Vette's torque allows you to "get away" with point&squirt.

Welcome to the red-headed step-child of road racing!
Mike
Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
autoxer6
Racer

For me, the course walk is the most important part of the day. As I walk, I stop at corner entry and take a mental picture, then say out loud (to myself) I should be looking at that cone over there. The cone you should be looking at is usually in the next corner, or further ahead.

I walk the course until I can close my eyes and picture driving the entire course and recall which are the key cones that I will have to look for. If I cant do this by the first run, it's probably going to be a poor day.

Chris Shay
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by autoxer6

I walk the course until I can close my eyes and picture driving the entire course and recall which are the key cones that I will have to look for. If I cant do this by the first run, it's probably going to be a poor day.

Chris Shay
Listen to this guy!

Chris, congratulations on the 4th place finish at Nationals!!

The highest placing Z06 there!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Listen to this guy!

Chris, congratulations on the 4th place finish at Nationals!!

The highest placing Z06 there!!!
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by autoxer6
For me, the course walk is the most important part of the day. As I walk, I stop at corner entry and take a mental picture, then say out loud (to myself) I should be looking at that cone over there. The cone you should be looking at is usually in the next corner, or further ahead.

Chris Shay
Course visualization has unfortunately always been a weak point of mine. I'm going to really invest in the course walk on Sunday until I have a much stronger picture, as it looks like it's a must given how fast things are happening.

All great tips!

(And another congratulations!)

Get notified of new replies

To First C5 Z06 Auto-x: a few impressions/questions

Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to really invest in the course walk on Sunday until I have a much stronger picture, as it looks like it's a must given how fast things are happening.
Video it and watch the replay until your first outing.

Then video that, and watch it until your second outing...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by flink
Video it and watch the replay until your first outing.

Then video that, and watch it until your second outing...
I've never seen anyone video a course walk (?!)

I was thinking more about doing something "Cool Runnings"-esque and just doing a slow(er) walk to get it all in my head...and then driving it in my head. We'll see.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

2nd autocross today - and 1st one with the traction control off. I'd have to say that I should have approached this from "going slow to go fast" given the change, but I did the opposite on the first 2 runs and experienced my first 2 spins in the Z06 I did finally get it figured out and turned in a decent time for street tires. Still strugged with getting the course firmly in my head...something I need to continue to work on.

That was the last course of the year - I've got my development plan laid out for next year which is basically to run as many events as I can and ride with/take riders on as many as possible.

THANKS to everyone for their advice!

Quick Reply: First C5 Z06 Auto-x: a few impressions/questions