Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-curve Roll-Bar...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default S-curve Roll-Bar...

Does anyone know of a company that makes the S-curve type roll bars that make entry/exit easier. I checked the Autopower website and they don't make them???

(what I'm referring to is the side bars that basically follow the contour of the seat).

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do belive Wolfe Racecraft does, at least for the f-bodies. they do C5 cages but i dont think they are SCCA and NASA legal, they cater to the drag racers.

I think the phoenix cages are as close and as legal as you can get
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom03Z06
I do belive Wolfe Racecraft does, at least for the f-bodies. they do C5 cages but i dont think they are SCCA and NASA legal, they cater to the drag racers.

I think the phoenix cages are as close and as legal as you can get
got a web address with a picture of the phoenix cage?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Jegs makes something like your describing.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/756837/10002/-1
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
got a web address with a picture of the phoenix cage?

http://www.phoenixperformanceinc.com/cars_for_sale.htm

See this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...037&highlight=
Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Problem with those unsupported bars is they can fold up. I am sure one could calculate the speed of impact a 300-lb car would need to make those fold like a pretzel and I am sure it would not be much. Better than nothing?? Maybe?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:13 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Problem with those unsupported bars is they can fold up. I am sure one could calculate the speed of impact a 300-lb car would need to make those fold like a pretzel and I am sure it would not be much. Better than nothing?? Maybe?
Not sure whether this is aimed at bolt in type jegs cages or at Phoenix cages but let me assure you, Phoenix cages are not just good looking, easy to live with cages that just "meet" rules. They protect and unfortunately have been tested more times than anyone wants to admit. The arguement can be made that one could come up with an impact to defeat ANY protection, so going into that debate is pointless. What I do know is I first hand have seen and experienced the protection Phoenix cages have provided. I do not question them. Any production based platform with a cage put in it will have "weaknesses", until you build a NASCAR I just don't see any reason to even question most production car, legally compliant cages.

Joe
Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Not sure whether this is aimed at bolt in type jegs cages or at Phoenix cages but let me assure you, Phoenix cages are not just good looking, easy to live with cages that just "meet" rules. They protect and unfortunately have been tested more times than anyone wants to admit. The arguement can be made that one could come up with an impact to defeat ANY protection, so going into that debate is pointless. What I do know is I first hand have seen and experienced the protection Phoenix cages have provided. I do not question them. Any production based platform with a cage put in it will have "weaknesses", until you build a NASCAR I just don't see any reason to even question most production car, legally compliant cages.

Joe

Well Said !
Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06

Joe

Joe.

I know everyone has huge respect for pheonix and I do too. They have all the winning cars. But even pheonix's reputation can't overcome physics. It is fact that there is no weaker door bar arrangement than an unsupported curved bar. Is it enough maybe but even with no skill in a C5 one can do 140mph which could end real bad even in a DE. But don't take my word for it. Do the research for yourself and or find a smart engineer friend that can run you a generic finite element analysis on a wavy unsupported bar, and NASCAR unsill-plated bar, a traditional "X" bar, and a proper NASCAR bar. I think you will be surprised by the results and never look at your doorbars in the same way again.

Get notified of new replies

To S-curve Roll-Bar...

Quick Reply: S-curve Roll-Bar...