Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 Solid Rotors ... Do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Default C6 Z51 Solid Rotors ... Do they exist?

I am the new owner of a 2005 Coupe with the Z51 package and will take it to a road track a few times a year (like VIR). With drilled rotors getting generally bad press about cracking, I am wondering if solid 13.4 inch front rotors are available?

If not, where is the best place to get Z51 rotors at the best price?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2 piece rotor for the Z51 front. We use Coleman Racing rotor and machine our own hats in house. They are a direct replacement, slotted only-no holes, directional, 100% USA made, and weigh about 6 lbs less then a stock front rotor. If interested, give us a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

ProParts USA 818 888-8904 has Centric rotors for your car. They are just like stock. Drilled and one sided only. I think they go for around $70 ea.

Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
ProParts USA 818 888-8904 has Centric rotors for your car. They are just like stock. Drilled and one sided only. I think they go for around $70 ea.

Steve
I guess I need some basic rotor education. I replaced the ones on my 94 Corvette as needed with standard basic rotors. Never got too involved in options.

So what does "one-sided only" mean? Sorry for the stupid question. I also am not exactly sure what a two-piece rotor is, as reference in the prior posting.

Thanks for your help.

Tom.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

"One sided rotor" may not be the correct term, but you always have left and right rotors for proper air flow. GM made only one side, left or right I can't remember which one. So one of your sides is not getting proper air flow. Centric copied GM in making only one side. Not good. But far as I know, that's all that's available. Two piece rotors last a little longer, but cost quite a bit more. The center part is usually aluminum. They bolt on the outer ring where your brake pads touch. The advantage is they are lighter. The replacement ring usually cost much more then buying just a cheap one piece rotor. If I was you, I would just stick with stock rotors or the Centrics when yours wears out. If you what something that saves weight and looks cool then a two piece rotor would be fun to have.

Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

"One sided rotor" may not be the correct term, but you always have left and right rotors for proper air flow. GM made only one side, left or right I can't remember which one. So one of your sides is not getting proper air flow. Centric copied GM in making only one side. Not good. But far as I know, that's all that's available. Two piece rotors last a little longer, but cost quite a bit more. The center part is usually aluminum. They bolt on the outer ring where your brake pads touch. The advantage is they are lighter. The replacement ring usually cost much more then buying just a cheap one piece rotor. If I was you, I would just stick with stock rotors or the Centrics when yours wears out. If you what something that saves weight and looks cool then a two piece rotor would be fun to have.

Steve
Got it. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
We have a 2 piece rotor for the Z51 front. We use Coleman Racing rotor and machine our own hats in house. They are a direct replacement, slotted only-no holes, directional, 100% USA made, and weigh about 6 lbs less then a stock front rotor. If interested, give us a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Prices?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"One sided rotor" may not be the correct term, but you always have left and right rotors for proper air flow. GM made only one side, left or right I can't remember which one. So one of your sides is not getting proper air flow. Centric copied GM in making only one side. Not good.
For those that say this isn't that bad... I had put a set of NAPA rotors on the wrong direction and the discolouring and heat checks are MUCH MUCH worse than when you put them on the right way around. This "one-side-only" thing is an issue, IMO. I ran most of a weekend at Spring Mountain and it turned out at the end of the weekend my rotors looked better than the rotors I had run backwards for only 1-2 sessions total.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

DBA makes replacement rotors in Z51 sizes.

Slotted or slotted/drilled
Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If you're seriously considering Centrics, www.RockAuto.com may have them for less then ProParts - not sure, but worth a look at the current prices. I posted a 5% discount code for RockAuto last week you can use when ordering, too --

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2146490

I got 4 days at VIR out of a front set of Z51 Centrics in July. If they're really up in the $70 price range now, I'd suggest checking out the prices on OEM Z51 rotors instead (GMPartsHouse.com, local dealer, etc). There are several posts here reporting that the metallurgy of the OEM's have proven to be superior to Chinese knockoffs, as the OEM's seem to be more consistent and last longer for both DE's and W2W racing.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 10-07-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brembo makes Z51 stock replacement, but need someone to verify if they are drilled or not. Price is around $120
Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Silverton
Prices?
Our 2 piece Z51 front rotor is $373.50 each. Replacement rings are $196.00 each. You do need to replace the bolts when you change rings, bolt kit is $15. These are Coleman Racing rotors with an aluminum hat. They are 100% USA made, direct replacement, slotted only - no holes, directional, and weigh 7.5 pounds less then the stock rotor.

Combine these rotors with a set of Cobalt Friction pads for unbelievable stopping performance. Cobalt pads will outlast the competition, and are not hard on the rotors.

If interested, give us a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
DBA makes replacement rotors in Z51 sizes.

Slotted or slotted/drilled
PLEASE under any and all circumstances avoid the DBA 4000 rotors. I bought them, two HPDE events (barely at 75% driving) and lots of microscopic cracks and they refuse to exchange. See my post in this forum.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kermooni
PLEASE under any and all circumstances avoid the DBA 4000 rotors. I bought them, two HPDE events (barely at 75% driving) and lots of microscopic cracks and they refuse to exchange. See my post in this forum.
Kermooni,
Do you know Geoff Fischer? He has a yellow C6 Z06 and lives in Minneapolis. He is running my rotors and Cobalt Friction pads and was amazed at the performance when he ran at Brainerd a few weeks ago. We can set you up with a similar package for way less money then the cost of a big brake kit that will knock your socks off. Give us a call.
Robert
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The OEM rotors are better than any others you can buy. Save your $$ and don't buy the hype. Use the savings for extra pads and beer!

Put PFC "Z" rated pads on it and you will have good life, good street service and more brakes than you can use. They will lock the wheels up (get into the ABS)with Toyo's R888's on.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rbl
The OEM rotors are better than any others you can buy. Save your $$ and don't buy the hype. Use the savings for extra pads and beer!

Put PFC "Z" rated pads on it and you will have good life, good street service and more brakes than you can use. They will lock the wheels up (get into the ABS)with Toyo's R888's on.

The OEM rotors are better than any others you can buy? That must be why the T1 guys bring a stack of rotors to every event. No offense sir, but you are way off with that comment.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Being able to lock up or get in to ABS on low-end DOT-R tires isn't exactly how I measure braking performance.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 Solid Rotors ... Do they exist?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

So, has anyone tried the cross-drilled Magnum Z51 replacement rotors? They are available from G Force on eBay for about $300 bucks plus $50 for shipping for a complete set. Good? Junk? They also have a "make an offer" button. Opinions???
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Being able to lock up or get in to ABS on low-end DOT-R tires isn't exactly how I measure braking performance.
Well you and I go round and round anyway so one of us must have a flat spot. I've about quite posting here because of the sharp shooters like this.

The GT2 guys with the Porsche, Corvettes, Vipers running the R888's certainly don't call the tire low end, but it isn't a Hoosier. It just seems that you have a hard on for the rotor but little to no real experience with it from what I have read. Your “performance” comment has more to do with the pad. Why not contribute something useful to the guys inquiry that you know something about instead.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
The OEM rotors are better than any others you can buy? That must be why the T1 guys bring a stack of rotors to every event. No offense sir, but you are way off with that comment.
No offense taken ... you are wrong .... lol. I don't think you know what the subject was to have made such a statement.

Now tell us the real reason the T-1 guys bring a stack of rotors .... is because most of them are running C5 or aftermarket rotors? How about that!

Or are you saying that they are bringing a stack of Z51rotors ... Not likely.

So back to the subject and without trying to sell anything. The OP is doing a few track events a year and the OEM rotor remains the best rotor he can buy for his car/use today. He can upgrade the pads to the PDC "Z" and get excellent performance for track and excellent daily driveability at a reasonable cost and excellent rotor life. Sorry if you don't like the facts.

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 Solid Rotors ... Do they exist?