Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spherical rod ends, for sway bars. Dimensions for a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Spherical rod ends, for sway bars. Dimensions for a C4?

I am thinking of having a friend help me fabricate my own for the sway bars. Anyone have any dimensions for a C4, 1993, if it makes any difference.
Rod ends arent expensive, and threaded rods to link the rod ends together isnt hard. So, I am thinking can I make my own?
Old 10-04-2008, 01:36 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I am thinking of having a friend help me fabricate my own for the sway bars. Anyone have any dimensions for a C4, 1993, if it makes any difference.
Rod ends arent expensive, and threaded rods to link the rod ends together isnt hard. So, I am thinking can I make my own?
i was thinking the same thing!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos for wanting your own parts.
For the dimensions, you're better off getting under the car or pulling the bars off.
That being said, the bars that are on the market have been tested, at the track. That's where the costs add up in building your own. You may or maynot get what you want on the first build especially if you're going to change the bar characteristics.
Before I'd build a working bar from a set of deminsions, I'd build a prototype from thin wall tubing that can be easily cut, tack welded and changed around.

And cheap rod ends are just that - cheap.

just some stuff to think about, Go for it.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:17 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I've know several people that have tried making them only to have them snap.

That link makes radical angles.

You'll also need to machine some sort of adapter.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking for the basic dimensions for heim jointed end links used in conjunction with stock bars? If so, I will take a look at my Guildstrand end links and make some notes.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I have been reading many posts of how poly bushings really bind things up, and dont really allow the rear suspension to function properly.
The material of the bars, and quality machine shop with free machining isnt the issue. Knowing I am doing it right is the important part.
The Rod ends can be bought from MSC etc. But material wise, I need to ensure they are correct. Inkenel, Stainless Steel and even titanium are thrown around our shop like nothing, so I know the machinist knows proper machining.
I would like to do the Camber rods, and dog bones. Is there any thing critical to proper assembly, size etc etc?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I have been reading many posts of how poly bushings really bind things up, and dont really allow the rear suspension to function properly.
The material of the bars, and quality machine shop with free machining isnt the issue. Knowing I am doing it right is the important part.
The Rod ends can be bought from MSC etc. But material wise, I need to ensure they are correct. Inkenel, Stainless Steel and even titanium are thrown around our shop like nothing, so I know the machinist knows proper machining.
I would like to do the Camber rods, and dog bones. Is there any thing critical to proper assembly, size etc etc?
i was thinking of putting concentric bearings in the A arms ( like Porshe does) but my polys are pretty good for now. when they start sliding out, then i go bearings

Get notified of new replies

To Spherical rod ends, for sway bars. Dimensions for a C4?

Quick Reply: Spherical rod ends, for sway bars. Dimensions for a C4?