Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripping it up at the Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ripping it up at the Rock

After suffering through 5 brutal days of work since Barber we loaded the Mustang back up and headed to Rockingham for the NASA-SE event. We did unload the Mustang and made sure the fuel tank vent system was not blocked. Since it was in the shop we removed the sunroof and pop riveted in a stylish piece of aluminum in its place. The four new Kumho truck tires showed up on Thursday and Marc Yount's came through with getting them mounted for me, at no notice, on the F250. Everythig was reloaded on trailer and we left for Rockingham on Friday afternoon. The tire grooves on I-20 in SC combined with the high winds made for a sporty pull with the trailer only taking advice from the driver on direction for most of the trip. We pulled up safely though just about the time the gates were open to us.

The paddock at Rockingham is pretty much the same but they have locked out everything not adjacent to the garages so there is not really a lot of space for trucks, trailers and track cars. Power in the paddock is pretty much non-existent there now and we spent the weekend without any power. Since I have the night vision of a cat, and all sharp edges are protected in the trailer, it was not the end of the world. Electricity would be nice for any fans, heat, microwaves, VCRs, etc. though. We were able to get the NASA logbook on the CMC racecar so Friday was a great day all around.

We all piled into the F250 (standard cab - this is important later) to head into Pinehurst for dinner on Friday and were serenaded with the rear end howling all the way there, tow vehicles need love to it seems, and the new tires are now quiet enough so we could hear it. Beerkat hooked us up with an excellent all you can eat prime rib, leg of lamb, seafood buffet at the local Days Inn. It was not what I expected from a Days Inn, at all. Even better is I received a call on a 16V 944S motor to go into the 88 944S, currently with a dead engine, over in Alabama to pick up this week. My wife really likes it when I get to working on Porsches since it puts the Corvette and Mustang habit in perspective.

Dr. Wike showed up in his Doc's Trailer Service sponsored PTF RX7 (the PTG Fiesta was in the trailer as backup) for NASA Comp school and he also completed three races during the weekend. I am pretty sure he took first in class in all three races. Kate showed up on Saturday in the brand new 1 ton, crew cab Dodge Dually, I really do hate her sometimes. People can tempt me to spend money so easily on things I need so badly.

The Roval at the "Rock" is a lot more fun, and challenging, to run then it would seem at first glance with the view of the entire course unmatched at any other track in the NASA-SE lineup. Jake took the Mustang (really classed in TTD) and ran it in TTA so we could stay in our base "class". The car was running well and we even bled the brakes for the first time. He was turning solid low 1:10s when an oil line rubbed through entering T4. I was watching from the top of the media center as smoke billowed up all around the car. He smoothly pulled off line and off track while I was wondering how much a new CMC motor was going to cost me. When it made it to the paddock, on the tow truck, Jim Pantas came over and assisted in troubleshooting the leak with a supply of oil dry when the leak was located. We then bypassed the oil filters and oil cooler since we had no replacement hose so we could get one more run in on Sunday. The oil soaked right front brake pad and right side tires seemed to work out OK on track. Beerkat allowed me to drive his C5 ZO6 on Sunday so I can at least say I drove at the event, thanks Kim!

Time Trial had 18 competitors with 4 new TT rookies. The track had excellent track conditions at this event, especially on Saturday, with 5 new track records making the book. Some of the cars did have some problem with grip in the infield. The "no pass" rule from T3 to T4 on Sunday did DQ several people who did not pay attention to the yellow flag though. Larry Kilgore (TTB Mustang) and John Haff (TTE Miata) broke their own track records. Toby Milne, in a borrowed C5 ZO6, set the new TTR record and BRE prepped cars took home two more records with Luke Belvard (TTC M3) and Warren Turnipseed (TTD BMW 325) at the wheel. NASA-SE Time Trialers are getting better at driving and car setup at every event. Warren then went out and showed his mettle at the W2W races also. It looks like he will be running W2W next sea son but is only 5 points behind for the TTD championship this year so Road Atlanta is an important event for him - I know Nabil is hoping he can make it in December.

The seasons top podium spots are locked up in TTR (1st and 2nd), TTS (1st), TTA(1st and 2nd), TTB(1st), TTC(1st), and TTE(1st) with this event. Patrick and I are plotting on how we are going to beat TimZO6 at Road Atlanta in December in TTA. We want all the TTA competitors out the garage and on the track at Road Atlanta just to see who is left standing on the podium at the last event of the season. It is motivating me to get the FRC there, with fresh tires, just to have fun and get bragging rights. Road Atlanta will be the final call on who will be getting (cheap) champagne and who will be plotting a better strategy for next season.

We hope to get the FRC and the Mustang to the SeatTime event on 24 October to get in some more testing and seat time.

Last edited by varkwso; 09-23-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Is there not a track in this country, neah....the world, that you and crew won't attack.....with great gusto!? Personally, I found it difficult to stay on the track at turn 1.....
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Is there not a track in this country, neah....the world, that you and crew won't attack.....with great gusto!? Personally, I found it difficult to stay on the track at turn 1.....
We try not to restrict ourselves with any artificial boundaries. The infield was pretty slick this last weekend when I was driving Beerkats car. I thought I was going to hit the beach a few times.

Get notified of new replies

To Ripping it up at the Rock

Quick Reply: Ripping it up at the Rock