Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage racer killed at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Vintage racer killed at Road America

If this is a repost, sorry, first I heard of it.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/apps/p...458/-1/archive

A race-car driver killed Friday in a crash at Road America has been identified as Surjit Hermon, a 61-year-old radiologist from Sterling, Ill.

Hermon crashed shortly after 2 p.m. during a practice session for this weekend's Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival Races, said Road America spokeswoman Julie Sebranek. His 1957 Eastlake 11 was pulling out of turn 13 when he lost control and struck a disabled car that had pulled off the track, Sebranek said.
Hermon was taken by ambulance to St. Nicholas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, said Coroner David Leffin. Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the neck and chest.

The driver of the second car was treated at the track and released.

Hermon was a member of the Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association and participated in the group's races throughout the Midwest, Sebranek said. He is the second member of the association killed in a raceway crash in just over a month, following the death of a 71-year-old Illinois man in an Aug. 16 race in Michigan.

About 300 vintage and historic race cars are on hand for the Vintage Festival Races, which includes races Saturday and today. The 23rd annual event is staged by the vintage association, and this year celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Austin-Healey Sprite.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Horrible news

Randy
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

God Bless him his family and friends.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear that, our prayers go out to his family..

The unfortunate thing is that some of these older race cars are really dangerous. Despite improved roll over protection that is now required, these old cars simply fold up when they hit something. Light weight space frame chassis just aren't made to crash, and this comes from somebody who really loves the old sports and racing cars...

Vintage racing isn't supposed to be as dangerous as current racing since most folks are out in a "touring" mode as opposed to hammering on the car. But the fact is I am not sure I would want to do a serious track day in an awful lot of vintage cars. This kind of episode really makes you think twice about traveling at high speed in some of the older cars.

As one of his more aggressive drivers was circulating the track a person remarked to Enzo, "what should we do if he leaves the road?".. The reply was "you go pick up the pieces and I will call his mother."..
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Look back at the mortality rates of the old races
Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sad news indeed,. I Googled "1957 Eastlake 11" and I can't find a picture of the car, what is it?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a Lotus 11. I have not heard of an "Eastlake" , however a "Westfield" is pretty common...

Here is a photo of the ex-Doctor:

Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Results from past events record that Dr Hermon campaigned a
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 at Road America in 2004.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Very sad to hear.
Unfortunately alot of the vintage cars are very fast but do not have the handling or safety features of more current cars. I realized early on that my past car was way over my capabilities and if I tried to race it even 7/10's it would not end well.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Peace and comfort to his family
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
kermooni
Racer

My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace

I know the corner well ... I was there less than 3 weeks ago. My instructor kept warning me to stay away from the dreaded "dip" by staying tight on 13. I listened after going through "the DIP" - once. Corner 13 is a real fast one and you need to hurry back to the left to take 14.

During the first session on Sat Sept 6, a brand new Red Porsche Cayman S came off of 13, never braked and went straight into the pea gravel at 14. The BMW M3 driver behnid him said, the guy must have gotten scared - he never braked. Going through that gravel at 14 is tough. It is designed to catch the F1 cars. But their driver brake. Both the driver and instructor were OK. The Porsche - well something has to give when you meet the tire wall.

I did not speak to the driver myself, but I heard he got scared and in an attempt to "both feet in", stayed on the accelerator

Drive safe - have fun.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

From what I was told, there was a white flag out indicating emergency crew on track, then a yellow flag which was not obeyed. This led to contact of the disabled vehicle that the safety crew was tending to near 13.

Whether it was the case or not, it's so important to see corner workers at all times.

Very sad news indeed.

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad indeed.

Turn 13 must be taken tightly and on the throttle. The exit is completely blind as you come up over a small rise as you are turning left. Any disabled car in the track-out zone would not be seen until the last moment. A lift would probably cause loss of control/spin.

God speed...

Dean
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

The driver has already passed the car two times with all the flags out. No one is sure why it happened but they have it on video so they should be able to figure it out. I my prayer are with his family.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bjm
The driver has already passed the car two times with all the flags out. No one is sure why it happened but they have it on video so they should be able to figure it out. I my prayer are with his family.
That is one nice feature at RA. 17 recording cameras covering the entire track. Race control looks like a news center.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Originally Posted by Tintin
It is a Lotus 11. I have not heard of an "Eastlake" , however a "Westfield" is pretty common...

Here is a photo of the ex-Doctor:

This photo is of another doctor Tom Vinje one of his team mates. The eastlake is a replica, Surgit's was similiar to Tom's car but i believe was a right hand drive car. As far as the incident and the yellows and whites my understanding is the car was after canada disabled and now was under tow after 13 when the accident occured.
Surgit is a wonderful guy one of the nicest people, a real car guy and a great radiologist. I worked with him for a long time and our kids went to high school together. He will be greatly missed. The visitation is today and funeral tomorrow. I will pass along everyones condolences to his wife and family. If you would like to post something for the family the link is http://surjithermon.blogspot.com/
Mat

Last edited by MAC95 6SPD; 09-24-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

how are the brakes on those vintage cars ?
are they up to todays standards ?

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage racer killed at Road America

Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Originally Posted by kermooni
My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace

I know the corner well ... I was there less than 3 weeks ago. My instructor kept warning me to stay away from the dreaded "dip" by staying tight on 13. I listened after going through "the DIP" - once. Corner 13 is a real fast one and you need to hurry back to the left to take 14.

During the first session on Sat Sept 6, a brand new Red Porsche Cayman S came off of 13, never braked and went straight into the pea gravel at 14. The BMW M3 driver behnid him said, the guy must have gotten scared - he never braked. Going through that gravel at 14 is tough. It is designed to catch the F1 cars. But their driver brake. Both the driver and instructor were OK. The Porsche - well something has to give when you meet the tire wall.

I did not speak to the driver myself, but I heard he got scared and in an attempt to "both feet in", stayed on the accelerator

Drive safe - have fun.

Man that is terrible, my heart goes out to his family and friends. At least he was doing something he loved when his time came.

Wow panicked and on the throttle... that Cayman driver is why I always pack an extra set of Boxers when I instruct at a track event... You never know sometimes.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
how are the brakes on those vintage cars ?
are they up to todays standards ?
They can't run anything different then they did 30 years ago. The pads and fluid are up to it, but that is about it. Some have found a way to put thicker rotors on without bending the rules. But that is about it.

Randy
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
They can't run anything different then they did 30 years ago. The pads and fluid are up to it, but that is about it. Some have found a way to put thicker rotors on without bending the rules. But that is about it.

Randy

I disagree... EVERYONE running anywhere near the front of a vintage group-6 grid (the Corvette/Camaro/Mustang/Shelby/AC Cobra, certain Jaguars and Porsches class) is running parts that weren`t available 35 years ago (group-6 rules are loosely based on pre 1973 SCCA rules). For the Corvette & Camaro guys there were no Carbon/Kevlar extra thick brake pads, no SRF brake fluid, no two piece rotors and no split calipers....not to mention 700+ hp dry sump motors, triple disc mini clutches, reverse mount starters and transmissions that have straight cut gears and dog rings instead of synchros.....One can naturally assume upgraded parts are used in every vintage class, I`m not saying progress is a bad thing it`s just the way it is.....

Quick Reply: Vintage racer killed at Road America