Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do YOUR Hoosiers last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How long do YOUR Hoosiers last?

I know there are lots of variables, but I'm looking for an idea of how many heat cycles you are getting out of your Hoosiers on the track? more specifically the R6's.

I know pure racers with a tire budget may toss them after a few heat cycles but then I hear about HPDE'ers that will run them for 20 -30 or more heat cycles, and yes I know they will lose traction over use...but still want to know at what point do you toss them?

So.... whats your experience? All your answers will equal out an average.

by the way, my understanding/definition of a heat cycle is you heat the tires up (say a 20-30 minute session) and then let them cool for 30-40 minutes

Steve
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toss them when they cord (for HPDE use of course). You could probably get 30+ heat cycles on them, depending on how you drive.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when I see cords which is usually 12 x 20 minute sessions or 240 minutes for fronts rears slightly more life 2-3 sessions.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-02-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and do you buy them heat cycled? or do you do it yourself (the way Hoosier suggest)??

R6 Roadrace

The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the durability and competitive life. The first session should consist of no more than 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate.

During the initial run-in process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi higher than you would normally use. The best progression would have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as possible on the last lap without "shocking" the tire during the warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding. The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually get them heat cycled. I have no clue how much it really helps as you never under the same conditions. If you do it yourself you need multiple rims and tires. I would guess three sets, two to use and one to cool.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done close to 30 heat cycles on a set...the last few sessions were fun sliding around corners etc it actually really helps to learn car control and feel. That was for HPDE use. For racing, it is different.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Same here. Approx. 28 heat cycles on a set of R6 tires for HPDE use. Great tires! They prefer a lot of negative camber - I run -2.4 front and -1.7 rear.

However, I did have a scarey experience this weekend at VIR with the older version - Hoosier RS305 tires.

I purchased them from a local guy a couple months ago - brand new with stickers on them that were placed in storage for the past 3 years.

Well... after the 3rd day this happened while on the track. I'm lucky I felt it and came off the road course before it blew:

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 09-02-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I usually run about 6 events - 2 days each - 4 sessions a day before the tires are trash. I always flip the tires about half way through. Somewhere between 30-40 cycles I will cord them. Sometimes the tires will get so hard and greasy near the end of theie life that they get chucked anyway. You will know when they are done ! This type of life is very dependent on your alignment settings, they like a LOT of negative camber. If running stock alignment settings subtract about 50%.

Get notified of new replies

To How long do YOUR Hoosiers last?

Quick Reply: How long do YOUR Hoosiers last?