Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Hardbar and new seats

Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Custom Hardbar and new seats

Gary and I have been working together for the past month and a half on a custom design hardbar for the Mosler. The cockpit is very small and tight so the dimensions/design of the pieces had to be absolutely perfect. As you can see they came out great. The Teamtech harnesses are on the way, and the seats are Cobra Suzuka Technology (carbon fiber and Alcantara, which ended up matching the existing interior perfectly). Great job by Gary on the DESIGN, his SolidWorks modeling and the custom machining (and not bad on my part for gathering all the critical dimensions if I say so myself). The end result took several iterations with measurement verifications and dimension changes, and without Gary's design and modeling it would have been a difficult proposition. As Gary likes to say - you don't want to kludge something together on a project of this scope.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 09-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

The seat rails are Gary's, customized a bit as well.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 09-01-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice...good job! I've heard of Mosler's but don't know too much about them (I guess it's time to find out a bit more). Racing seats are looming on the horizon for my car as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Very well done!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am really glad it fit, the Solidworks/Haas CNC methodology is remarkable! We are working with a new anodize shop that can do the large C5 bars and from now on all Hardbars and seat rails (if requested) will be anodized (black) instead of powdercoated as they have been in the past. The anodizing does not add any measureable thickness and will not chip like powdercoated parts can/do. They did an awesome job on Everett's Mosler parts, they are really pretty in person.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the purpose of this bar?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
What is the purpose of this bar?
to mount your shoulder harness

this is what it looks like in a C5 with the harness installed
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 AM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Looks like very solid workmanship! Sometimes it definitely does pay to do something yourself!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks, but this was not really a "do it yourself" job. We exchanged the Solidworks models back and forth to get the dimensions correct using eDrawings. After the model dimensions were verified, it was analyzed using Cosmos FEA (static cases only) for the loading conditions such as fastener pull out, plate bending and strain distribution. After we were done with that the model was transfered to Mastercam for the CNC tool path for the end pieces, while the Hardbar was fabricated and lathe turned. When that was done, it was all sent to a state of the art anodize shop in MA. The seat rails were an adaptation of our C4 rails only with the custom mounting configuration that went through the same process as the Hardbar. All told, there was about $15K worth of software and work station, $250K worth of CNC machining tools, and at least that amount of anodizing equipment, not to mention 20+ years of aerospace mechanical engineering/structural dynamics experience!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Thanks, but this was not really a "do it yourself" job. We exchanged the Solidworks models back and forth to get the dimensions correct using eDrawings. After the model dimensions were verified, it was analyzed using Cosmos FEA (static cases only) for the loading conditions such as fastener pull out, plate bending and strain distribution. After we were done with that the model was transfered to Mastercam for the CNC tool path for the end pieces, while the Hardbar was fabricated and lathe turned. When that was done, it was all sent to a state of the art anodize shop in MA. The seat rails were an adaptation of our C4 rails only with the custom mounting configuration that went through the same process as the Hardbar. All told, there was about $15K worth of software and work station, $250K worth of CNC machining tools, and at least that amount of anodizing equipment, not to mention 20+ years of aerospace mechanical engineering/structural dynamics experience!
Wow. All the more impressive.
By the way, is there a thread where I can see more pics of your Mosler?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
Wow. All the more impressive.
By the way, is there a thread where I can see more pics of your Mosler?
If you search for the Katech Track Attack vid/picture thread there are lots of pics in it.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you have the Hewland sequential transmission in your Mosler? I got to drive Corvette Mike's in Vegas during the Open Track Challenge with the sequential transmission. That car was a lot of fun.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedSSR
Do you have the Hewland sequential transmission in your Mosler? I got to drive Corvette Mike's in Vegas during the Open Track Challenge with the sequential transmission. That car was a lot of fun.
No, unfortunately I don't, although I believe that trans is strictly for the race cars. I have to admit that I have been tempted to look into it though... My car has the Porsche 6 speed gearbox from the GT3 car, with a custom GT2 6th gear.

When did you drive the car with the sequential - was it recently or some time ago? What motor - the LS6 or the LS7?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It was an LS6 motor. It still scooted pretty good though.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
If you search for the Katech Track Attack vid/picture thread there are lots of pics in it.
Thanks, I did. Awesome pics of an awesome car.
By the way, how does one go about getting invited to this Track Attack event for next year?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
Thanks, I did. Awesome pics of an awesome car.
By the way, how does one go about getting invited to this Track Attack event for next year?
Jason from Katech will post info/details when the time draws near next year. I think the "alumni" get first invites, followed by some number of openings (not sure how many). It was a great event, great people, and a great track/facility.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Hardbar and new seats

Old 09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Default Harnesses are in.

The harnesses are in, and I have been adjusting them to fit. They are Teamtech - Jet Pilot on driver side and RamPac 6 point on passenger side. The quality appears topnotch and I think I will be very happy with them. Thanks Gary!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Everett,

Holy cow! Now you've done it. Mods are like Jays Potato Chips, you can't stop after just one.

Last time I drove your car I thought how cool it would be to have a race seat set. You do understand that WE are going to have to check out those harnesses ASAP. WE need to make sure they are secure. WE are going to have to push the car a little harder this time! You're going to have to let me know how the passenger side holds up as WE drive it okay?

What led to the color choice of the Harness Bar? Were they out of Yellow?

Nice job Gary!

Mike
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Everett,

Holy cow! Now you've done it. Mods are like Jays Potato Chips, you can't stop after just one.

Last time I drove your car I thought how cool it would be to have a race seat set. You do understand that WE are going to have to check out those harnesses ASAP. WE need to make sure they are secure. WE are going to have to push the car a little harder this time! You're going to have to let me know how the passenger side holds up as WE drive it okay?

What led to the color choice of the Harness Bar? Were they out of Yellow?

Nice job Gary!

Mike
Ha Ha! Yep, WE will have to put her through her paces for sure - Track Attack II baby... ! On the color choice, I originally was going to go with black, and I think many of Gary's bars are powdercoated black. Gary and I discussed anodizing it, and a friend at work said "anodize it purple"! I actually considered blue or purple b/c the car is dark blue, and then realized I liked the few red accents on the car, so decided to go with red harness bar, seat rails and harnesses. I like how it came out!

You are right regarding mods - you can't do just one.... the list for Jason is growing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Hardbar and new seats