Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phil Hill, now forever racing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,404 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Default Phil Hill, now forever racing.

Just picked up the news...

Former Formula One Champ DiesAP

(Aug. 28) - Phil Hill, the only American-born Formula One champion, died Thursday of complications from Parkinson's disease. He was 81.

The 1961 Formula Open champion and a three-time 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, Hill died at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, said friend John Lamm, a noted automotive photographer and editor-at-large with Road & Track magazine.
]
Phil Hill, Aug. 28: Hill, who was the only American-born Formula One champion and a three-time 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, died after complications from Parkinson's disease

"He raced at a time when racing was extremely dangerous and got through it all without a serious injury," Lamm said. "He had an extraordinary mechanical sense. He was very much in tune with the car."
Hill won the 1961 Formula One title by a point over Wolfgang von Trips, the Ferrari teammate who was killed in the team's final race of the year. Hill won three F1 races, taking the Italian Grand Prix in 1960 and 1961 and the Belgian Grand Prix in 1961.
"I, as well as all employees of Ferrari are extremely saddened by the news of the passing of Phil Hill, a man and a champion who gave so much to Ferrari," Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said. "Phil and I have always kept in touch throughout the years and I know I will miss his passion and love for Ferrari very much."
Mario Andretti is the only other American F1 champion. He was born in Italy.
After retiring as a driver in 1967, Hill worked as a racing commentator for ABC and a contributing editor for Road & Track magazine, and devoted time to classic cars and auto restoration.
"His knowledge of automobiles was almost spooky," Lamm said. "And he knew it off the top of his head. ... He was extremely intelligent and well-rounded. He was an opera expert and very well-read. He was very sophisticated."
Hill, also a three-time winner of the Sebring 12-hour race, was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1991.
"Phil was a very special guy and had a love for the automotive age," said Dan Gurney, a teammate with Ferrari. "He was always a potential winner when he sat in a race car. He was both a competitor and a close friend and a fellow I could look up to."
Hill, born in Miami on April 20, 1927, grew up in Santa Monica and attended the University of Southern California.
He's survived by wife Alma, son Derek, daughter Vanessa Rogers, stepdaughter Jennifer Delaney and four grandchildren.
AP Auto Racing Writer Mike Harris contributed to this report
Old 08-30-2008, 11:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad news. Was posted few days ago but thanks anyway. Don't want you to think nobody here cares response may be light because of other thread. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was up for Monterey weekend. He was in a wheelchair at the Quail car event, but got sick later and went to hospital nearby. That's why he died away from Santa Monica. If it is your time to go, it was a good place to go.

RIP
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Godspeed
Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The man was a legend. His passing is a sad occasion for motor sports fans everywhere. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Get notified of new replies

To Phil Hill, now forever racing.

Quick Reply: Phil Hill, now forever racing.