Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

101 Cars You Must Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 101 Cars You Must Drive?

Speed has finally done it. They have finally put a car show on tv that I find unwatchable. I can stand almost anything when it comes to car shows, but this is just awful IMO. Does anyone else feel the same way about the show?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

IMHO Pinks is the worst show on Speed followed closely by 101 Cars. If you really think about it... most of Speeds line up is garbage.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ohhhh, so he's a comic!
101 Cars You Must Drive

From the slightly silly to the totally awesome, comedian Alonzo
Bodden takes you for an irreverent spin in 101 cars that have
made history. Hop in the driver’s seat as the Last Comic Standing
winner and former stealth fighter mechanic experiences these
amazing cars in all their glory. It’s the good, the bad and the
unexpected. Don’t miss a single hilarious minute of this new
SPEED series.
xsiveone, I have a lower tolerence than you for the puerile dreck that
SpeedTV has stooped to pander. Mr Bodden lost me through his
remarks broadcast in the promotional segments. There's no interest
on my part in watching the actual show.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 08-28-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was going to be a cool show, I was interested in the setup. But the host is what makes the show fail. I have attempted to watch at the show a couple of times, and while the cars were cool, the host was not...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

101 cars I must never see?

and to think they dropped The Isle of Mann
Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I must admit, I do like in the promos when he mentions "the vague approximation of brakes" only because at times I can relate to it.

Bob
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I cannot even watch it when I am stuck in motel rooms....I tried....
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what kills the show is that he is not a car guy.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Ranks down at the bottom with unique whips (unique morons), top gear (top a holes - that hate Americans and our cars) and nascar (crapcar).
All shows where recorded, so I only wasted about 1 min of my life per show as I flew through looking for something good. Although I did watch the Corvette segment at Willow Springs.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed isn't pandering to the hardcore "car guys and gals" of America... They're trying to draw more "fans" and "wannabe enthusiasts" in...

That show is leaps and bounds better than "living the low life" and "Unique Whipps"...

Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
That show is leaps and bounds better than "living the low life" and "Unique Whipps"...

Mike
Those are the definition of dregs on Speed. , although I confess the promos for 101 cars turned me off so much I've never seen the show.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Anyone know whatever happened to that alternative to SpeedTV that someone was promoting on a poll "Would you pay for a real racing channel?"
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Anyone know whatever happened to that alternative to SpeedTV that someone was promoting on a poll "Would you pay for a real racing channel?"
While Speed annoys me greatly with a lot of their programming "Pass Time" - in addition to the ones already mentioned....they still have about the best auto coverage around.

I would love an alternative but it would have to be picked up by my cable company...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Some cool cars but have to agree they needed someone that is into the hobby. I'll watch it if nothing else is on.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lbarnard
Some cool cars but have to agree they needed someone that is into the hobby. I'll watch it if nothing else is on.
Something like Jay Leno's Garage... ???
Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Something like Jay Leno's Garage... ???
That would be great! Just a show about Jay showing off his cars. Kind of like "My Classic Car" when Dennis Gage visits Jay at his garage. Maybe he'll do something like that when Conan replaces him next year. He'll have a little bit more free time on his hands.

I think what I hate most about 101 cars is that it caters to the lowest common denominator. When the host is talking about a car, I'm usually sitting there correcting all his inaccuracies and adding to his information.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
psd_bullitt
Instructor

I guess I'm in the minority. Though I don't plan my life around watching any show on TV, if it is on I will watch it instead of the crap on other channels. I never had cable, until late last year when I moved into a new house. If it didn't come in on the rabbit ears with tin foil rapped around them - I didn't know it existed. Based on what I've seen in the past 10 months, most of the stuff on cable isn't worth watching.

I don't watch 101 cars for the technical accuracy of any car. They actually have shown quite a few cars that I've never even heard of before. I find it kind of interesting, a little entertaining and occasionally funny. They had a "bird" theme one night and in addition to the Thunderbird, Roadrunner, and other classics they had a concept car that converts to a plane (or visa versa) - kinda cool.

I can relate to his sarcasim and wit - I like how he backhand slaps the car designers for doing stupid things. He really rips on the British for poor electrical systems - who really needs turn signals, brake lights, head lamps and windshield wipers in London anyway!!!!

The episode where he slams yuppies for owning overpriced H3 SUVs when they never leave the safety of pavement instead of a real Hummer (H1) or an original jeep was quite humorous - well to me anyway.

I admit to watching Pinks and Pass time as well. I don't care for the arguing between drivers negotiating on Pinks but I like seeing the eposodes where they compete head to head for cash. I enjoy Pass Time and often guess the times closer then any of the contestants, even though I have no drag racing experience.

Oh well what can I say, maybe I'm weird but I've seen every MASH repeat, Dallas sport teams suck and there isn't a full time Poker channel yet so I have to watch Speed.

Last edited by psd_bullitt; 08-28-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 101 Cars You Must Drive?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

What's worst about the show is that the host doesn't know a thing about cars. He gives out erroneous information. I tried to watch it thinking it might be interesting, but no just more SPEED ****.

PSD Bullet, I think that ESPN2 and ESPN Classic are becoming the full time poker channel and if not there A&E and the travel channel and bravo have poker on at least 2X per week
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I think it is OK, I liked the Chrysler turbine car segment. I grew up 3 blocks from Mr. Duntov and there were a lot Chrysler execs around driving those in my neighborhood. It is a lot better than most other shows on TV, especially Obama mania on all of the news channels. I hate to admit it, I like the drag race game show.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikelly
AMEN !!!

Quick Reply: 101 Cars You Must Drive?