Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way does the brake pad taper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which way does the brake pad taper?

I have a set of race pads that are tapered. I don't remember which orientation the taper originated on the car. Does anyone know if the thinned out end is towards the bottom, or towards the top of the caliper on a stock C6 brake system?

I am asking, because I may need to use these pads again, and I would like to put them in opposite to their original orientation, and "untaper" them.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

These pads were on the passenger side of a C5 which uses the same brake calipers as your car.

Bill
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the "leading edge" of the pad that tapers the most. So look at the way the wheel normally rotates when moving forward and put the thickest end of the pad in the caliper where the rotor is spinning into it. For the front, this would be towards the bottom. On the rear, its towards the top. I swapped my pads like this with my C5 and it did help extend the life of the pads and give better brake feel.

- Mark
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
Its the "leading edge" of the pad that tapers the most. So look at the way the wheel normally rotates when moving forward and put the thickest end of the pad in the caliper where the rotor is spinning into it. For the front, this would be towards the bottom. On the rear, its towards the top. I swapped my pads like this with my C5 and it did help extend the life of the pads and give better brake feel.

- Mark
As you can see from the pic that Bill posted above, the two pads taper at opposite ends which is the same result i usually get. Flipping them over will do nothing. Maybe flipping sides of the car might.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The taper you are seeing is due to caliper flex. You will have a mushier pedal with this tapered set vs the same set that is not tapered.

What we do is flip them. Yes, the taper will be going the wrong way, but it will allow the pad to square back up and then start to re-taper again, but by that time, its time for a new set of pads.

Louis
Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
As you can see from the pic that Bill posted above, the two pads taper at opposite ends which is the same result i usually get. Flipping them over will do nothing. Maybe flipping sides of the car might.
I didn't quite notice that when I first looked at his photo. I don't recall my pads tapering that way. I did swap them side to side. There's probably multiple causes for pad taper so I guess the best advice is to look at how your particular car wears pads and do what you can to offset it. Thanks!

- Mark
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

With the total trash that are the PBR manufactured C6ZO6 calipers you get taper in 2 axes! They taper top top to bottom and front to rear. The stock PBR C6ZO6 calipers have the most value as scrap aluminum, recycled into beer cans (if you can get the corroded steel pins out of them). PBR also makes the almost as bad slide rail C5 and C6 calipers. PBR is only good at making tapered pads! Someday, perhaps a Corvette will have decent brakes.

Last edited by ghoffman; 08-29-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
With the total trash that are the PBR manufactured C6ZO6 calipers you get taper in 2 axes! They taper top top to bottom and front to rear. The stock PBR C6ZO6 calipers have the most value as scrap aluminum, recycled into beer cans (if you can get the corroded steel pins out of them). PBR also makes the almost as bad slide rail C5 and C6 calipers. PBR is only good at making tapered pads! Someday, perhaps a Corvette will have decent brakes.
Strong words, but very true!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 AM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses. I have a good idea of what to do now. I'm heading up to WGI for the Sept 1-2 Trackmasters event. Hope to see some fellow Vette owners up there.

Get notified of new replies

To Which way does the brake pad taper?

Quick Reply: Which way does the brake pad taper?