Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using DisplayIT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Who is using DisplayIT

I bought a DisplayIT and hope to install it and my transponder this weekend.

Anyone else have one installed in a C5?
I'm looking for mounting suggestions. Pics would be good.

My plan this winter is to remove the radio and install trans and diff temp gauges there. So I don't want to mount the DisplayIT where it would block that area.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I mounted mine in the center of the steering wheel where the air bag used to live.. Sad part is it has never worked at any track I have gone to because none have had the equipment to trigger it. Just be cause you have the AMB transponder doesn't mean that it works everywhere..
Yep I am pissed and I bought mine before the $200 price drop.......
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Yeah I know the track has to have the AMB system working for it to work. The display gets its info from the timing equipment - not the transponder.

I plan on running TT with NASA and you have to have a transponder. So I'm hoping this will work.

I don't know if the HPDE group I run with turns the AMB system on or not. I'll have to ask.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

I have been running TT with NASA for 2 years with a transponder.. I have only run at TWS, MSRH, Grandsport and Barber and the displayit has not worked at any of these tracks. They have to have a transmitter at the track not just the regular AMB timing equipment. I have asked NASA about it and just get a shrug in response. Evidently no one cares to spend the extra for the TX just so we can have timing info in car
Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Thanks for letting me know. I'll need to check into that before I install it. If I can't use it at any of the tracks I'll send it back.

Thanks for the heads up JVetthead.
What TT class are you running in?

I'll be in TTA.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the bubble bursting, I wish I would have done more homework first..
I have been running TTU I was planning on going W2W in ST1 this year but blowing trans and then engine last Jan. put a damper on that.. Hopefully next year.
Maybe we could check on the cost of this timing xmitter and go in with NASA on its purchase?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

I got an email from NASA TX Region and they said they don't have the equipment because not enough people have a DisplayIT. Hmmmm...chicken and the egg.

I contacted Blind Apex who makes the DisplayIT. On their website they say they give the equipment to some organizations for FREE. Hopefully they will give NASA TX the equipment so we can see our laptimes while in the car.

It would be nice to try different things on the track and see how that affects laptimes in real time.

Will let you know what they say.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I think this AMB thing is the biggest POS going. Everyone uses the base system to time but you would think an aftermarket or the company would offer simple timing solution for the drivers. Amazing. I could never get a straight answer on the displayit. AMB blames the organizers. Organizers blame tracks, tracks blame AMB. You also can't get a straight answer as to what exactly is needed in software to run the device and hardware to run the device and which organizer owned units from what era need which software upgrades to run the displayit. Basically I gave up.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think this AMB thing is the biggest POS going. Everyone uses the base system to time but you would think an aftermarket or the company would offer simple timing solution for the drivers. Amazing. I could never get a straight answer on the displayit. AMB blames the organizers. Organizers blame tracks, tracks blame AMB. You also can't get a straight answer as to what exactly is needed in software to run the device and hardware to run the device and which organizer owned units from what era need which software upgrades to run the displayit. Basically I gave up.
The Blind Apex website (maker of the DisplayIT) makes it sound like it is just simple equipment that just plugs into the timing equipment. And they offer to give it to the organizations for free. We'll see.

I agree that it is hard to get a straight answer. Before I ship this thing back I'm giving it one last shot.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
MRZ5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no worky

i have a displayit, and can confirm with jvett, because we race together, it does not work, they only time it worked for me is when i went to miller motorsports park to race, and to my amazement, it worked there. was pretty kool. now if you want timimg and you are going to get serious, look into other units, like traqmate, this is the unit i will get for next season.

i am guessing you will be out there racing with us in Eagle Canyon, if you are, stop buy and see us.

joe, you are going to be out there also??? we are have a TT party at my rigg, come by, as you have alot of patron to catch up on
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Here's the response I got from Blind Apex

Actually the solution is much simpler! We provide the transmitter FREE to all the NASA regions! The only puzzling thing is that we shipped the TX region a transmitter on May 17th 2006. Did they lose it ??

In any case, rest assured that I will do what it takes for your unit to work!

Can you get in touch with them and let me know what they have to say ?
(members have more pull on the organization than me !). And be sure to let them know the unit is free... and that they should have one!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MRZ5
i have a displayit, and can confirm with jvett, because we race together, it does not work, they only time it worked for me is when i went to miller motorsports park to race, and to my amazement, it worked there. was pretty kool. now if you want timimg and you are going to get serious, look into other units, like traqmate, this is the unit i will get for next season.

i am guessing you will be out there racing with us in Eagle Canyon, if you are, stop buy and see us.

joe, you are going to be out there also??? we are have a TT party at my rigg, come by, as you have alot of patron to catch up on
I'd like to get a traqmate but that is farther down the list of things I need/want.

Hopefully EC will be fixed by then. Some guys ran it a 3-4 weeks ago and it messed up their cars. One had to get the clear bra replaced on his GT3-RS. He didn't say if it was tar/sealer/asphalt or if it was rocks from the track repairs.

I like the track alot. Looking forward to running it again.

I'll look you guys up. I may be able to drag my wife along. Otherwise I'll be the new guy on the block on won't know anyone.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Roger on the Patron... Found my bottle floating in my house.. Taste a bit salty tho..
See PM about making next race.. My cars are a bit salty as well.....
Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS Racing
Here's the response I got from Blind Apex

Can Yall follow up on this with NASA TX??
I am without anything so kinda out of touch..
Joe
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JVetthead
Can Yall follow up on this with NASA TX??
I am without anything so kinda out of touch..
Joe
I sent Blind Apex Jessica Reyna's email and phone number. She is the one with NASA TX that I had been emailing with. I also copied her on my email to Blind Apex.

I'll follow up with both. Hopefully they got things worked out and we'll have the transmitter in time.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

BlindApex is sending the required equipment to use DisplayIT to NASA-TX today so they should have it by this coming weekend.

BlindApex (maker of the DisplayIT) said that they have furnished all NASA regions with the equipment for free. If your region doesn't have it or doesn't use it, contact BlindApex. Carl has been great keeping me informed on working with NASA-TX.

As for mounting the unit, I bought a suction cup mount like the GPS units come with. I'm going to try mounting it right above the inspection sticker so it doesn't block my forward vision and is still easy to read. For now I'm going to use a cigarette lighter plug until I'm sure it will work.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS Racing
BlindApex is sending the required equipment to use DisplayIT to NASA-TX today so they should have it by this coming weekend.

BlindApex (maker of the DisplayIT) said that they have furnished all NASA regions with the equipment for free. If your region doesn't have it or doesn't use it, contact BlindApex. Carl has been great keeping me informed on working with NASA-TX.

As for mounting the unit, I bought a suction cup mount like the GPS units come with. I'm going to try mounting it right above the inspection sticker so it doesn't block my forward vision and is still easy to read. For now I'm going to use a cigarette lighter plug until I'm sure it will work.
COOL! Thanks for following up on this.. I wish I could be there at EC but it just aint gonna happen.. Missed the whole dang season. Allways next year!
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Who is using DisplayIT

Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 AM
MRZ5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default its up

well nasa received unit and all was working @ eagles canyon. wow what a track. is all i can say. so glad i never went off, could of been bad. thanks again scott for getting the required stuff to nasa so now we have our track times quickly.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

well nasa received unit and all was working @ eagles canyon. wow what a track. is all i can say. so glad i never went off, could of been bad. thanks again scott for getting the required stuff to nasa so now we have our track times quickly.
Yep. You don't want to go off there. Thanks again Mike for all the hospitality. Especially thanks to Gordy and ***** for their hard work.

Last session on Sunday it was just me and one AI guy on the whole track. I figured they'd put others out there with us. He was late starting so we were about half a track apart. Should half come in and let him catch up so I'd have someone to run against.

The DisplayIT is nice. Times pop us as soon as you pass the SF line.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Allright!! Thats great.. Ok I WILL BE THERE NEXT YEAR!

Quick Reply: Who is using DisplayIT