Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber Kit Install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camber Kit Install help

Have you installed the Hardbar Camber & Stud kit on a C6 Z51?

Can you help with a few questions?
1. How many washers do you put where to achieve 2 - 2.5 deg negative camber?

2. Did your kit have "D" shaped plates? Was there anything etched on them? I have 12 square plated, 9 with 11.5 and 3 with 13.5 etched. Any ideas?

3. Do you happen to have any pics of the process?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty self-explanatory once you're under the car. Odd to have an odd number of plates. The front will need 8 plates, the rear 4. The number of washers you need will be dependant on ride height. You will have to adjust toe after putting the camber kit on the car, you won't be wanting to drive it until you do.

The studs are easy to put in. The kit works really well. I like using the 10mm washers more than alignment shims.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kermooni
Have you installed the Hardbar Camber & Stud kit on a C6 Z51?

Can you help with a few questions?
1. How many washers do you put where to achieve 2 - 2.5 deg negative camber?

2. Did your kit have "D" shaped plates? Was there anything etched on them? I have 12 square plated, 9 with 11.5 and 3 with 13.5 etched. Any ideas?

3. Do you happen to have any pics of the process?

Thanks.
I put the camber/stud kit on my 2006 F55. From the factory, my car had more washers on the right upper A-arm than the left. To get -2 deg camber I have only the factory washer on the left and three additional washers on the right. Measuring camber is easy -- go to Home Depot and buy a $60 electronic level and as long as your car is on level ground you can measure camber.

My kit did not have the D-shaped plates -- all 12 were rectangular and labeled 11.5mm. I called Gary to get some 13mm plates for the rear as I could not pry the rear a-arms enough to get the 11.5mm plates in.

I also had to cut the studs. Check if you can remove the upper a-arms in the front with the studs before you lock-tite them in. Cutting the studs on the bench is way easier than cutting them once they are lock-tited on the car. The issue I had was clearance to the steel bracket around the front shock. There is no such bracket on a Z06.

Also, with no washers on the left, I had to add washers after putting the A-arm on the studs because without them I ran out of threads on the studs and could not get the nuts tight.

I've run two autocrosses since installing the kit and I cannot believe the improvement in grip I got from the camber! I love camber!

Regards, Bert
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Gorilla Glue to lock the studs in. I didn't cut the studs, I don't think you need to, you just have to be patient and do a little dance with the dogbones to get everything happy. IIRC, I have 5 washers on all the front studs and I'm sitting at about -2deg.

Why not put the washers in front of the dogbone and then put the nuts on if you want to dogbones to be flush to the frame for max -ve camber?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget you can get your castor back if you want it. I am a big fan of castor, so I first added three thin washers to the front, then two to the next stud back, then one, and none to the rear most stud. That gave me 6 deg castor, from there I set my camber to my preferences.

Get notified of new replies

To Camber Kit Install help

Quick Reply: Camber Kit Install help