Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Book] "The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default [Book] "The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing

Someone at the track told me to pick this book up and after a quick review of the book I was off to buy it. Very interesting book and it is leading to a movie called 32hours 7mins.

The movie can be found here
http://www.32hours7minutes.com/

The Book
The Driver: The high-speed, unbeleivable, illegal, bittersweet, hilarious, danger packed true story of Team Polizei, from my father’s revelatory deathbed confession to my search for the truth behind the greatest secret in racing history. The Driver follows my attempt to duplicate Claude Lelouch’s Rendezvous (albeit around Manhattan), the creation of Team Polizei, the discovery of the now-infamous Polizei BMW M5, our debut on the 2003 Gumball 3000, my ignominous capture on the 2004 Bullrun USA, and many more adventures so far known only through snippets on YouTube…culminating with my delving into the true history of the Cannonball Run and U.S. Express - the underground cross-country races from which modern endurance rallies descended - and the long-secret record whose true story has yet to be told.

An extended confession of almost every moving violation I’ve ever committed, written with the help of scores of law enforcement personnel, dozens of judges, several attorneys and hundreds of rally drivers, friends and fans, The Driver is the first-ever insider’s account of modern underground automotive endurance events, and the truth behind the mythology in which they are clouded.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had that book for months now. The author is a local NYer . Made for an interesting read.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by F.J.B.
I've had that book for months now. The author is a local NYer . Made for an interesting read.

I thought it was cool because it was part of NYC area and that it really wasnt that long ago that it took place.

Is his NYC business still here?

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 08-25-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

The guy is his own best PR person. He's a marketing whiz and is exploiting himself to be a racer's hero.

If you wish to know the real record of the coast to coast races-- look up Brock Yates and "Cannonball". That was and is the real deal.

Get notified of new replies

To [Book] "The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing

Quick Reply: [Book] "The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing