Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greenwood C3 racers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Greenwood C3 racers

I'd like some info on Greenwood C3 race vettes photos, owner impressions, any cars for sale these days

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.greenwoodcorvettes.com
Has a lot of pics and histories of the cars. Drop me an IM with your phone # and we can talk, I know most of the owners and we are always glad to talk...and talk...and talk
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
www.greenwoodcorvettes.com
Has a lot of pics and histories of the cars. Drop me an IM with your phone # and we can talk, I know most of the owners and we are always glad to talk...and talk...and talk

should I look for your name in the Autobahn race results?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redvetracr
should I look for your name in the Autobahn race results?
I guess that is a way for you to say "I'm a serious racer and you're not." You may have been answering a question no-one asked.

I've got the Greenwood Spirit of Sebring '75. I've had it nut-and-bolt restored last year and have run it at General Racing and HMSA events, including Monterey Historics '07 and '08, Lime Rock '07 Coronado '07, and soon Coronado '08 etc. I'm in San Diego(not surprisingly) and the car is maintained in Northridge, California. We do have a friendly network of Greenwood owners and share parts info etc. Feel free to PM me and I would be happy to be of help.

Great pic in your avatar of that Corvette GTP. I'm lusting for one of those.

Lance Smith, who has moved out to San Diego has some Greenwoods he would sell. I bought mine from him. He's a good guy. I can put you in touch. I spent the morning at his garage with 20+ old race cars and Oscar Koveleski, an ex Can-am driver from the early 70's.

Last edited by sundiego; 08-25-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Howard you know I am not comfortable racing wheel to wheel. I was fortunate enough to get a few clean laps in on Thursday, which was a blast. The rest of the week was watching some real racers, meeting some old friends and making a few new ones.

Autobahn is an absolutely beautiful facility and very different than most, very family oriented. Dozens of private group owned club houses with 1st floor garage space for 20 to 30 cars and very nice group areas upstairs to gather, watch races and hang out. I'll be throwing up another thread, hopefully today with more info and pictures.

William, David is a great contact and Lance is considered by many to be the Greenwood "expert".

If you get a chance to go to Autobahn, I highly recommend it
Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by sundiego
I guess that is a way for you to say "I'm a serious racer and you're not." You may have been answering a question no-one asked..
not really, he said he was going all I asked is if he raced or not.....
Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
Howard you know I am not comfortable racing wheel to wheel. I was fortunate enough to get a few clean laps in on Thursday, which was a blast. The rest of the week was watching some real racers, meeting some old friends and making a few new ones.

Autobahn is an absolutely beautiful facility and very different than most, very family oriented. Dozens of private group owned club houses with 1st floor garage space for 20 to 30 cars and very nice group areas upstairs to gather, watch races and hang out. I'll be throwing up another thread, hopefully today with more info and pictures.

William, David is a great contact and Lance is considered by many to be the Greenwood "expert".

If you get a chance to go to Autobahn, I highly recommend it

Interesting observation...the people I know (who are members) don`t consider it a big car track but merely a test track, just as the people I know who do HPDE (what you should be doing) consider Autobahn a great idea poorly executed....two small tracks put together to make one medium size track...the event you should have gone to was the National Corvette Museum HPDE at Road America a couple of weeks ago. The PERFECT place for you and the car to "stretch it`s legs".
redvetracr
Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

I think it is a great facility, the track is really more attuned to Porches, BMW's and the like with 22 turns and no long straights. Not the place for horsepower or heavy cars like yours. As a "Country Club" for people to enjoy club style racing it's alot of fun. It's certainly not a speed or "pro" track like Elkhart etc. but with alot of amateur racers out for fun it should keep the accident and death toll down.
I do enjoy HPDE's etc. and enjoy old racers...and thier cars, every track and event mean something different to every "racer". As my first visit to an HSR event it was interesting to see the differences in SVRA to HSR, there are different philosophies and requirements as to racing and what it takes to have equipment qualify, SVRA is more mom and pop overall and allows less equipment upgrades. HSR may be looking at a NASA type weight to horsepower ratio for classing in '09 or '10.
I had a great time and look forward to SVRA at Watkins Glen in 2 weeks. I'll get a chance to run a few laps on another great track and enjoy my toys. In my book that makes me one damn lucky guy
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

are you aware the SVRA is owned by the two guys that started the HSR??
do yourself a big favor and give up whatever you have to to run your car at Road America, I guarantee a big smile on your face.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Some links, including pics of my Greenwood:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1566774135

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...609&highlight=
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Thanks for the replies. I am heading to Watkins Glen on Thurs to run my 512TR racecar w the Ferrari Club

I was thinking of getting a Corvette GTP until my crewchief told me they run about $20k + PER WEEKEND to run !!

I'd be lucky if I could run the car 4 x a year

I was thinking of a Can Am McLaren but those things are like driving 900hp Coca Cola cans. I'd have to pray every time I got in that thing that I never hit anything

So a nice vintage Vette that I can run at LRP, Daytona, Monterey looks like a good option

Can one of you guys put up Lance's contact ?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

I have his e-mail but it would be quicker to look in Hemmings Motor News under race cars/specifically Corvette for a phone number, Lance usually has an ad or two. You seem like a competitive person, racing a widebody Corvette or a Corvette GTP car will NOT satisfy you considering the competition.
redvetracr
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
sundiego
Instructor

I'll PM you Lance's number. Running the Greenwood car isn't much cheaper than the GTP. Your description of the Can-Am is excellent and true. No money on earth could get me in one. There are lots of options. The best bang for the buck is gocarts, then it goes up, up and away from there. That F car can't be cheap to run.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

The 512TR runs around $6k per weekend including a set of tires

but I have to rebuild the spare engine which is going to be $$

The widebody Vettes look SO cool

which C3 vettes are competitive ? what class do Vettes have a chance in ? and what class that runs at the Rolex or Monterey historics ?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68

which C3 vettes are competitive ? what class do Vettes have a chance in ? and what class that runs at the Rolex or Monterey historics ?

Thanks

At Monterey (and possibly Lime Rock) I don`t believe anything newer than a `67 unless you want to race a C-3 in the IMSA class where you won`t be competitive. In SVRA/VSCDA/HSR definitely a C-3 with a big block although in SVRA/HSR you will be up against some pretty stiff competition. In my mind you have to look at the competition in the class, in the IMSA class you would be racing against GTP cars and whale tail turbo Porsches, a Corvette really doesn`t have a chance at winning. Most vintage groups post race results, go look and see what cars are winning in what groups.....
redvetracr
Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
sundiego
Instructor

Last year at Monterey, historic IMSA was 1970-1980. This year they expanded it to 1970-1984. My March GTP was the newest car in the field as it is a 1983.

http://montereyhistoric.com/particip...8_entry/7b.pdf

Here's the entry list for this year.

They will likely go back eventually to 70-80 for IMSA and have a separate GTP class. My Greenwood, last year and this year was 600 lbs heavier than anything else in the field. I ended up mid-pack both times. A better driver than me could move it up a few places.

At some General Racing events, like Lime Rock, Coronado,Pre-Historics and sometimes Wine Country, IMSA runs with FIA and Can-Am, so the IMSA cars will do a bit better.

The Corvette is a front engine race car, and those days are, for the most part, long past in most fast series.

Last edited by sundiego; 08-26-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
ctk30
Pro

Imsa wide body, what tires are you running?

Get notified of new replies

To Greenwood C3 racers

Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

GoodYear Eagles from Sasco. 25x11-15 r230 on 12" wide rims front, 27x14-15 r230 on 18" wide rims rear. We will probably go to a 27 front next order and see how a squared set up runs.

David, what is the weight on that car?

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 08-26-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Originally Posted by sundiego
This year they expanded it to 1970-1984. My March GTP was the newest car in the field as it is a 1983.
Was your car the Red Lobster car ?

What does your car cost to run per weekend if you dont mind me asking ?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

This thing is just wild Is it still for sale ?

Quick Reply: Greenwood C3 racers