Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended suspension mods for a non-Z51 06 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 PM
motoGPguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended suspension mods for a non-Z51 06 coupe?

My friend just bought an 2006 non-Z51 manual coupe for his daily driver.
After taking delivery and putting some miles on it, he doesn't feel that his car handles as well as my 07 Z51 coupe does.

What exact mods do you suspension experts recommend for his daily driver to meet or exceed the performance of my Z51 coupe? Can you please include all the information we need to order the parts and the best place to order them with the lowest price?

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good question,

I am considering using my 05 non Z51 for track days, I have an 03 Cobra which is setup for that purpose, but I don't have any idea where to start or purchase parts for making it street and track worthy.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The questions are way too open ended. If you want to put the Z51 or Z06 parts on the non-Z51 car it's hard not to go to www.gmpartshouse.com and just order them -- especially on a budget.

If you want more, look at the forum sponsors and vendors: HardbarUSA, Doug Rippie Motorsports, LG Motorsports, ATI Performance, Pfadt Racing, etc. (Look left.)

Before you get sold on anything, though, flush the brakes with decent fluid, throw on some OK pads (C5Z, Hawk HP+, what-have-you) and go to the track. Decide what you like and don't like about the car. Work from there.

If you haven't had a good alignment done, you won't like things much. Make absolutely sure you get some rear toe-in... until you do that you'll likely hate the way the car handles -- I know I did.

FWIW, if you're buddy with the non-Z51 is just street driving and looking for more he's probably missing the stiffer front swaybar on the Z51 (same bar as the Z06) and maybe the slightly stiffer springs and associated shock valving. The swaybars are a very cheap upgrade to try...
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The questions are way too open ended. If you want to put the Z51 or Z06 parts on the non-Z51 car it's hard not to go to www.gmpartshouse.com and just order them -- especially on a budget.

If you want more, look at the forum sponsors and vendors: HardbarUSA, Doug Rippie Motorsports, LG Motorsports, ATI Performance, Pfadt Racing, etc. (Look left.)

Before you get sold on anything, though, flush the brakes with decent fluid, throw on some OK pads (C5Z, Hawk HP+, what-have-you) and go to the track. Decide what you like and don't like about the car. Work from there.

If you haven't had a good alignment done, you won't like things much. Make absolutely sure you get some rear toe-in... until you do that you'll likely hate the way the car handles -- I know I did.

FWIW, if you're buddy with the non-Z51 is just street driving and looking for more he's probably missing the stiffer front swaybar on the Z51 (same bar as the Z06) and maybe the slightly stiffer springs and associated shock valving. The swaybars are a very cheap upgrade to try...

I would go with the Z51 sway bars and shocks or Z51 sway bars and Bilstein sports initially. If he needs more than that coilovers from LG, Hardbar, or DRM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Oshuwah
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - I'm the one with the car the OP was referring to.

I am going to buy Z51 sways and Pfadt bushings to start.

Just street driving - daily driver. Looking for a little less roll in the corners. I was actually surprised by how loose the base suspension is in the corners

Thanks for the tips
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready

Glen has a really good list here.

Z51 sways are cheap and make a huge difference.

I'd like to second the alignment suggestion. The factory spec for alignment is 0.00°±0.20° toe in the rear. Mine was at the max limit for toe-out. The fronts were twice the spec for toe-in (spec is 0.10°±0.20°). Camber specs also have wide tolerances: -0.45°±0.60° front and -0.45°±0.50° rear so you car could possibly have positive camber which would really take away from cornering grip compared to having it at the opposite side of the limit.

Bert
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Oshuwah
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tires and alignment were done about 300 miles before I picked up the car. I don't have anyway to know what the specs on the alignment were but when I do the sways I will redo the alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended suspension mods for a non-Z51 06 coupe?

Quick Reply: Recommended suspension mods for a non-Z51 06 coupe?