Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloan Rollback question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sloan Rollback Trailer Question

I'm driving my Nissan Titan pickup to Dallas next month and plan to buy a new Sloan Rollback trailer to bring back to Washington. I'll be getting one with aluminum decking & fenders and a wind fairing. Dean Sloan recommends I get the 20' version which cost a bit more. The problem is that with a 20' trailer, backing into my driveway which is on a private, tree lined road, will be very difficult if not impossible. I have a pair of wheel caddies which will solve the problem, but I would prefer not to have to resort to that. So my question is, is the 18' version long enough for my '08 ZO6?

Last edited by fperra; 08-21-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra
So my question is, is the 18' version long enough for my '08 ZO6?
Absolutely.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 18' is fine (and works out to about 22' overall length with the tongue).
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Their wind fairing thing is junk! Their trailer is great.

When you get the tire rack on it use a small piece of metal on the bottom for the same purpose. The savings of not buying theirs will pay for the tire rack.

Mine is also 18' If the Nissan is your tow vehicle that will probably be your issue and the AL deck won't solve that problem. Probably only save a couple hundred pounds tops.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rbl
If the Nissan is your tow vehicle that will probably be your issue and the AL deck won't solve that problem. Probably only save a couple hundred pounds tops.
I don't understand what you are getting at. Why will my Nissan Titan be the problem? I'll be towing the Corvette on the trailer.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I pull my sloan trailer with corvette and tire rack with my Trailblazer SS. With the added weight distribution hitch I have no issues towing my car so I would assume you would have no problems either.

Trailer with Tire Rack

Distribution Hitch

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Is a weight distribution hitch required with the lighter weight aluminum decking?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is that with a 20' trailer, backing into my driveway which is on a private, tree lined road, will be very difficult if not impossible.
You know for sure that 18' can make the turn but 20' cannot?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Is a weight distribution hitch required with the lighter weight aluminum decking?
IMHO the thought of getting a weight distribution hitch should be based on your tow vehicle/trailer weight and stability combination and not just on the trailer.

My TBSS with a corvette engine has no issues pulling my trailer at speeds well beyond the speed limit, but after installing the weight distribution hitch I now have more stability at high speeds and on hard braking which means more to me than anything else. Weight is now back on the front tires of the TBSS thus allowing for safer traveling.

If I had a bigger tow vehicle I might think twice about the WDH, but for your average street SUV that you are trying to make into a tow vehicle I would suggest getting one.

Again this is my opinion and I usually error on the side of caution when towing a total of 11K lbs (SUV + Trailer + Car + track supplies + myself)

Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
You know for sure that 18' can make the turn but 20' cannot?
No. But I know how much trouble I had getting a U-Haul backed into my driveway. And no, it wasn't for hauling the ZO6.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
IMHO the thought of getting a weight distribution hitch should be based on your tow vehicle/trailer weight and stability combination and not just on the trailer.

My TBSS with a corvette engine has no issues pulling my trailer at speeds well beyond the speed limit, but after installing the weight distribution hitch I now have more stability at high speeds and on hard braking which means more to me than anything else. Weight is now back on the front tires of the TBSS thus allowing for safer traveling.

If I had a bigger tow vehicle I might think twice about the WDH, but for your average street SUV that you are trying to make into a tow vehicle I would suggest getting one.

Again this is my opinion and I usually error on the side of caution when towing a total of 11K lbs (SUV + Trailer + Car + track supplies + myself)

I'll have to do some research on weight distribution hitches as I know nothing at all about them. I'll be hauling the trailer back from Dallas unloaded so I'll worry about it after I get back.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I'll have to do some research on weight distribution hitches as I know nothing at all about them. I'll be hauling the trailer back from Dallas unloaded so I'll worry about it after I get back.
Unless you are towing with a Super Duty type truck of at least 1 ton capacity I would get the weight distributing hitch. It transfers some of the tongue weight to the front wheels which makes the tow vehicle more stable.

I get along fine with a 16 ft open trailer for my 03Z which I believe is a little longer than a C6Z.

Don't know whether they make front hitch bars for the Nissan but that is one way to get a trailer into a narrow space. Then you can turn around and hitch the trailer at the front of the truck and push the trailer into the driveway. You can be much more precise as you aren't trying to swing a long wheel base back and forth to change the direction of the trailer.

Bill
Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Dodge Dooley and an Excursion. The Excursion needs the WDH the Dooley does not. Remember once you go over 5000 lb you are not legal without a WDH on either vehicle no matter if you feel you need it or not. You will need it on any lighter vehicle without 4 tires and stiff suspension in the rear. WDH is a big plus especially if you need to do an emergency maneuver. There is towing and getting their and there is driving comfortably, huge difference.

Doubt 2 feet in length will make a difference with practice it will become very easy to get in.

When you don't have a WDH more of the weight of the hitch mounting points is loaded to the rear mounts which may also be why over 5000 it is not legal or not designed for being loaded in that manner.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-22-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Remember once you go over 5000 lb you are not legal without a WDH on either vehicle no matter if you feel you need it or not.
With the Aluminum deck and fenders, the trailer, I believe, is less than 1400 lbs. So I will be under 5000 lbs. On the WDH, is there hardware that is permanently attached to the truck? Do I need to change out the factory hitch that came with the truck?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

With the Aluminum deck and fenders, the trailer, I believe, is less than 1400 lbs. So I will be under 5000 lbs. On the WDH, is there hardware that is permanently attached to the truck? Do I need to change out the factory hitch that came with the truck?
If it is a standard 2.25" hitch nothing stays on the truck even if you are under 5,000 a WDH is worth every penny. You can easily throw tools and stuff in the car and be over 5,000 epecially if you take another set of tires.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Well, can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to buy and where from?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Well, can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to buy and where from?
Try a local RV pale for some prices and advice Resse is a decent brand. Ask where it's made as I personally would avoid some stuff from China.

Do a search online and you can veiw some pricing to compare.

Get notified of new replies

To Sloan Rollback question

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

http://www.hitchestogo.com/Weight_Di...%20Systems.htm

Resse and Draw-tite are good brands. Parts availabilty is good for them also. Nothing should break but if you lose something they are common and they will stand behind their products.

below is what I have.

The Trunnion Bar WD System consists of our patented Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control and our High-Performance Weight-Distributing System in one easy-to-install package. This is the ultimate hitch in detail and by design. No other hitch gives the driver the control this one does at a reasonable price. The Strait-Line Hitch was given this name as its pro-active design literally forces the trailer to stay in a straight line behind the tow vehicle. All parts necessary for towing (except trailer hitch) are supplied.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-22-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

remember that you need to include not only the weight of the trailer and car, but everything you carry with you including your weight. 1400 + 3200 for a vette and you are already at 4600. Add a tool box, tires, jack, cooler, ice, food, and yourself and you will see that you are over the 5K weight quickly.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

Have you ever checked the fuel economy when towing with your TBSS? Just curious how it does?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Sloan Rollback question