Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make 1 pc. rear C5 rotors that are NOT made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone make 1 pc. rear C5 rotors that are NOT made in China?

After having to limp my car home this weekend after my final session of the day (I didn't notice the cracked rotors/thumping until I was already on my way home) I am going to the 2 piece Coleman set up in the front. I would like to keep the e-brake in the rear, so I will need to go with a 1 pc and would like to get away from the unpredictable Chinese crappy (and unsafe IMO) rotors.

Does anyone make a quality 1 pc? At this point I really don't care about the cost... I would rather be safe and have a non-chinese product on my car.

TIA,

cj
Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an old old NAPA rotor from probably 3 years ago (when they were made in Canada) that I never used and now I have a C6Z and it's just sitting in my garage.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

CJ,

Can speak from direct experience (not concerning brakes, but other automotive stuff), other places than China can make junk, too. I'd go by company reputation than what nationality their components come from.

And, to your direct question, I don't know of anyone non-Chinese making single piece rear rotors. Sorry.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
cj68
Pro

What are the thoughts of using the Centric/Stoptech rotors in the rear, as opposed to the Napa's, Rock Auto's, etc? Are they really manufactured to higher standards as their website states?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
What are the thoughts of using the Centric/Stoptech rotors in the rear, as opposed to the Napa's, Rock Auto's, etc? Are they really manufactured to higher standards as their website states?
Why not try OEM from GM? The fronts are made in Brazil I think.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Why not try OEM from GM? The fronts are made in Brazil I think.
To the best of my knowledge, not anymore. I guess there are a few of the Canada and Brazil rotors still out there, but they are really hard to find and no longer made in those factories/countries. I believe that most, if not all of the OEM replacement rotors are made in China.

Can someone verfy my above statement?

cj
Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, not anymore. I guess there are a few of the Canada and Brazil rotors still out there, but they are really hard to find and no longer made in those factories/countries. I believe that most, if not all of the OEM replacement rotors are made in China.

Can someone verfy my above statement?

cj
No longer in Canada either. All most all rotors are now cast in China. Even the rings of some big name BBKs
Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

CJ,
I have a 2 piece front rotor for the C5 using Coleman rotors in stock. They are slotted for gas reliefs, no holes, directional vented. They weigh 3.5 pounds less then a stock rotor. They will hold up much better to tracking then the stock rotors. I do not have a rear rotor because of the parking brake issue. Give me a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
CJ,
I have a 2 piece front rotor for the C5 using Coleman rotors in stock. They are slotted for gas reliefs, no holes, directional vented. They weigh 3.5 pounds less then a stock rotor. They will hold up much better to tracking then the stock rotors. I do not have a rear rotor because of the parking brake issue. Give me a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
We spoke yesterday... I will be calling you in th near future to place an order for the fronts. However, I am still unsure what to do about the rear rotors.

cj
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Maybe a different perspective

What about this view: "Has anyone ever had a stock rear rotor setup crack?

I know I don't even get any spiderwebbing on my rears.

Mike
Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I ordered 2 front rotors from Napa a month ago for Nancy's C4. They were made in Canada. 1 piece stock size. about $70 ea. You could call Napa and see if they have any.

Bob
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Mike
Yup. Did one this weekend... one front and one rear on the same day and same session. The other side rear looks fine. It really makes me think about the consistency and tolerances of the Chinese rotors. A buddy of mine had a rear crack a while back also. That is why I am looking for alternatives... I just don't feel good about putting my life in the hands of shoddy rotors. I am thinking that maybe I will step up to the Wilwood SL6 set up in front and rear, but until then I want to be as safe as possible out there.

Looks to me like there is no solution for the stock rears at this time. I guess I will have to run the chinese rotors in the back until I can get a 2 piece set up. But I will be getting 2 piece fronts asap.

cj
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Mike
I cracked both rears after a year of track time and two sets of pads. This happened after I had run the pads down to papery thinness, and I suspect the heat was much higher in the rotor. They cracked in the paddock. One was obvious, one I felt when I drove the car. I've been lucky so far I think. Still buying el-cheapo rear rotors.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
cj68
Pro

I just got done changing out my rear rotors and they were actually Canadian. These rotors have only been through 50% of my Carbotech XP8s, and about 7 track days.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just purchased a set of dba rear rotors for my C5 and have to say they are the best quality rotors I have ever seen. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. On my most recent race car I have coleman stock car stuff and although I've had good luck so far I haven't run the car enough to make a thorough review. That being said I am not a big fan of coleman. only use them because I need a 13.5" for the front which no one else makes. I've also had good luck with stoptech in the past.
I was told that DBA is alcon's source for rotors. A brake dyno company here in the U.S. that tests everything brake related has mentioned that alcon are the best in all of his testing.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by trackboss
I just purchased a set of dba rear rotors for my C5 and have to say they are the best quality rotors I have ever seen. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. On my most recent race car I have coleman stock car stuff and although I've had good luck so far I haven't run the car enough to make a thorough review. That being said I am not a big fan of coleman. only use them because I need a 13.5" for the front which no one else makes. I've also had good luck with stoptech in the past.
I was told that DBA is alcon's source for rotors. A brake dyno company here in the U.S. that tests everything brake related has mentioned that alcon are the best in all of his testing.
Is the DBA a direct stock replacement? I looked on their website and they only had the fronts listed in stock sizes. Where can I get them and how much do they typically run?

Thanks,

cj
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the DBA a direct stock replacement? I looked on their website and they only had the fronts listed in stock sizes. Where can I get them and how much do they typically run?

Thanks,

cj
LGM is a DBA dealer

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone make 1 pc. rear C5 rotors that are NOT made in China?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've cracked both front and rear rotors this year alone. My fronts last about 3 days, and the rears 5-6 really. for $30 each I'm not complaining. I would love for someone to tell me their $150 rotor lasted 15 days on track. Because thats never going to happen (at least on a race car).
Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a set of Wilwood 1-piece rear rotors for the Vette. They were stamped inside "Made in Canada."

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased direct stock replacement rears from DBA. I requested the basic ones, but I was shipped slotted ones. No big deal as long as there are no holes in them. I got mine from:
http://www.performanceshock.com/

Quick Reply: Does anyone make 1 pc. rear C5 rotors that are NOT made in China?