Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 wins the Redline Time Attack's Street RWD Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Nihilation
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 wins the Redline Time Attack's Street RWD Class

Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience from this past weekend as I've been looking forward to participating in this for quite some time now.

Saturday morning I had my car dyno tuned by Nate over at Classic GT Motorsports in Manassas, VA on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Nate unlocked the computer and managed to pick up 25+wtq across the board and an additional 5-10whp over stock. Final numbers were 344wtq and 322whp. Only power mod was a modded z06 catback. Stock paper air filter down to the untouched airbox.

That evening I took the car home, jacked it and checked all the suspension bolts. I started at the driver's front and worked my way around. It was just about 7:30pm and the last side was the passenger's front. I go to yank the wheel off when I see a pile of it sitting on the inside of the wheel. Brake fluid!!!! =[

@#$%!!!

My heart sank. I quickly investigated with my trusty 15mm socket and pulled the caliper off revealing that the pistons no longer had any dust boots and the trail of ATE superblue flowing from them told me I was up ****'s Creek. And then I looked to the left, behind my C5 and straight at my room mate's C5 in the garage up on stands. Hehehe. I had found my paddle and began to row. By row I mean commandeer his caliper. A last minute trip to the store for some copper crush washers and BYAAAHH!! Working brakes again!

Lowered the beast and went inside. Ordered a meat lover's pizza from Papa John's and watched 'ol Phelps win his 8th gold medal.

Sunday morning I headed west for my third running of the Redline Time Attack at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit.

The competition in Street class is limited to 285 width tires for RWD cars. All cars must have retain their original interiors(for the most part) and proof of registration, insurance and have a functioning catalytic converter. No wide bodies, no flares, no hired drivers. More details about the rules can be found on their site - http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/

My setup was on a 99 FRC with 08 Z06 shocks, 04 swaybars, a modded Z06 catback and 18x9.5 SSR GT2's with 275/35 Falken RT-615's

There were 18+ other competitors in my class, none of which to be taken lightly. The morning session went smooth for me. Others weren't so lucky. The course was red flagged numerous times and more than a handful of cars were hauled off the track at various times through the day, including two good friends of mine.

Quickly noon came and I was in the second group of Street class cars to be put on track. I ran my three hot laps as smooth as I could and finished the first session cleanly.

The best time in the first timed session was a 1:41.204, which was over 1.3 seconds quicker than the closest competitor in an E30 M3 with an E36 M3 engine swap(who blew a headgasket at the end of that session). With that much of a lead, and with the carnage going on that day, I decided to take it easy on the second time attack session and coasted to a few low 1:42's.

After all was said and done I ended up winning the Redline Street RWD class by just over a tenth of a second to a stripped out, caged, engine swapped, street registered, E36 "race car".

More pics taken by some of my good friends can be found here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=601035
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and way to show those other cars a beating. The 3rd picture looks like you are about ready for take off.

Randy
Old 08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice writeup. Thanks for taking the time to post. congrates!

Later,
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, great pics
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Nihilation
Racer

You guys might be interested in an upcoming event at the new New Jersey Motorsports Park track held by Mazda and Redline on September 13-14th.

They are running a time attack for unlimited and modified classes. Fastest lap time gets $10,000 in Unlimited class and Modified gets $3000+.

Something you guys should look in to! If only I had mo' powa'!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Nihilation
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Congrats and way to show those other cars a beating. The 3rd picture looks like you are about ready for take off.

Randy
Yea, that's the jump on the bridge straight. Cresting at about 110mph. The picture below it is after the landing.

Check out last year's competitors getting air borne there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFjy7CPwdw

Get notified of new replies

To C5 wins the Redline Time Attack's Street RWD Class

Quick Reply: C5 wins the Redline Time Attack's Street RWD Class