Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono Aug 08 Double National race results - and a airborne roof!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pocono Aug 08 Double National race results - and a airborne roof!

All right, after my week-long trek thru the PA countryside, I made it back home and am rested enough to give details on the T1 events...from my point of view. Hopefully others will pipe in on what happened to them.

The first race, John Yarosz was on pole and I started outside. He took the lead into turn 1 and I followed. But at the end of the lap, I noticed a bulge on the left side of his roof as we came down the front straight. I decided to move to the right just a little to show him my nose under braking, and the next thing I saw was his roof flying over my head!!! Watch this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIpLI2YhGzA

I blew the chicane on about lap 4, but slowed down and let John catch back up and we resumed the battle from there. There was also a full course caution about half way thru because of Ziggy and plenty of smoking car parts on the track.

It was a close race from there to the finish...with John being much more comfortable than I due to the instant air conditioning! Unreal.

Results:

me - 1:39.80

Yarosz - 1:39.72

David Sanders - 1:40.44

Bob Kahn - 1:39.9

Cliff Murray - 1:40.2

Fastest race lap though went to Scott Tucker in Jason's car: 1:39.39 (starting from the back of the field no less - impressive!!!!)

Race #2, I was on the pole with John on the outside. I got a great start and led from flag to flag...with some dicey traffic along the way to keep things interesting. There was also some major league oil and oil dry on the outside of turn 5 so everybody had to alter their approach onto the first long straight. John apparently cut his fuel calculations a bit close and got fuel starvation with about 2 to go I think and pulled into the pits. Sanders inherited 2d and Scott Tucker (with another great drive) finished 3d.

me - 1:39.007 (fastest lap)

Sanders - 1:39.77

Tucker - 1:39.201

DiPippo - 1:40.479

Ninth - Yarosz - 1:39.095

That wraps up the Southeast Division for me...and a very, very difficult season to say the least. I didn't even get a chance to get my car fully on track until the 10th race of the season. And if it wasn't for David Pintaric driving all night to loan me his Viper for the VIR double, it would not have been possible to compete for the Division. I can't thank you enough bud!! The Kryderacing guys also showed up to help out (and probably to make sure I didn't hurt the car too - ha ha).

As always my crew chief Butch (MMIR) Kummer was superb. I also had help from Joe Gaudette who went up to the Sprints with me.

Joe Aqualante and his Phoenix guys prepped this beautiful 08 Vette during the off season and it's finally starting to perform like it should. The GM performance guys were kept busy will all the issues on this new car and I know they were anxious to see it do well. I switched from the Kumhos to the Hoosier A6 and it really is all that it's cracked up to be - ultra, ultra consistent!! Thanks Bruce!! The Carbotechs were rock solid the whole year and I really appreciate the Puskars and their customer service!!! Gary Hoffman at Hardar is one of the sharpest guys I know and his products are just first class! Rich Shafer's new edition "Cool Shirt" and helmet cooler is nearly a must in the Southeast! My bud Mike Scornavacchi kept my motivation up all year and I can't thank my beautiful wife Michelle enough for putting up with me!

See you all at HPT...for the last year!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

what kind of a penalty do they give you for blowing the chicane ?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by the blur
what kind of a penalty do they give you for blowing the chicane ?
Nothing if you don't gain an advantage. I was in the lead with about a 2 second gap, so I tried to make sure my lap time was about the same as the last and keep the same gap.

As long as you don't make it a habit...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Nothing if you don't gain an advantage. I was in the lead with about a 2 second gap, so I tried to make sure my lap time was about the same as the last and keep the same gap.

As long as you don't make it a habit...
Chris, glad you have seen the light and are now on Hoosiers. You won''t regret the change!!!

I missed the Saturday race, but your performance on Sunday was nothing short of spectacular.

Congratulations on a fine weekend.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Well done Chris! I have heard of blowing someone's doors off, but never the roof! I have the 3rd roof on my car, it had a recall on the early ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono Aug 08 Double National race results - and a airborne roof!

Quick Reply: Pocono Aug 08 Double National race results - and a airborne roof!