Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA August Mid Ohio Super Touring Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default NASA August Mid Ohio Super Touring Report

Well first off let me say what a weekend, one thing that I learned is that I can't really drive that well, sure I can put down a fast lap here and there but stringing a whole race together with out a major mistake is proving very difficult.

After last month Race #1 in the rain with 2 offs & finishing 3rd behind a Miata & race #2 spinning while in a tight battle for 3rd. Needless to say this weekend was much of the same for me.

I can line up the excuses if you like but reality is I couldn't handle the pressure of a Red Viper filling my mirrors and I made a mistake shifting braking at the end of the back stretch spinning my car in front of David basically handing him the win. To make a positive out of a negative after sitting there for about 30 seconds and getting back on track I was able to work my way back through the field and due to an unfortunate off by Forbis I was able to finish 2. To pat myself on the back I did have the fastest ST2 race lap of the weekend a 1:34.2 (still slower than my TTA car )so I guess if I can keep the car on the track I might have been in the mix at the end. Being my 3rd race ever and first in an ST2 car I guess it's OK.

I Qualified with a 1:34.2xx on Sunday but 10 minutes before the race I discovered a cracked rotor that kept me side lined and gave David a well deserved sweep of the weekend. I really think we need to keep these T1 guys playing with each other, that's two M-O events in a row that a T1 guy shows up and sweeps.

Forbis was OK just a little damage to the car that kept him from racing on Sunday but he assured us he'd be ready for Nationals James did have the fastest Qualifying time of a 1:33.5xx.

It was nice that David bought his Viper out to play he slapped on some new tires for Qualifying on Sunday and laid down a 1:33.6xx and swept
both races. A statement was made and he will be one of the top competitors in ST2 at Nationals if not the guy to beat. Maybe I'll have to tuck in behind him and follow him to a podium finish. and I heard he has some mods already planned

The weather was great and the times were competitive with what was being run by the top guys at Nationals last year.
Matt ran awesome finishing 2nd of 9 on Sunday, tighten those bolts there buddy.

Scaryfast was ready to make a charge but broke on Sat and Sunday couldn't get his car to start. Rob's car woes continue. Johnny in the grass Won his first TT event with a 138.6xx in TTB, I didn't get the Sunday results. Geoffry was smoking with a low 1:33 in TTS and Jesse gets faster every time with a very low 1:34 in TTA. I really think the Great lakes region is going to be a force to be reckoned with at Nationals.

Popp of course won ST1 both days, damn that car is bad ***, watching him drive it is just as impressive.

That's my update, I'm sure I missed a bunch so fill us in. Between racing and instructing and drinking at Mikes I really didn't get to chat with as many people as I would have like to.

Last edited by L98Terror; 08-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

sounds great, glad to see you had a good weekend.

I'm going to need some help getting up to speed at Mid O for nationals. Anyone wanna let me tuck in behind them for a practice session on thursday?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by wallyman424
sounds great, glad to see you had a good weekend.

I'm going to need some help getting up to speed at Mid O for nationals. Anyone wanna let me tuck in behind them for a practice session on thursday?
No problem
Old 08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by L98Terror
No problem
sweet! I look forward to it.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 AM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We know you can drive Ken. It is most likely just getting used to the new car. If I was a bettin man I would wager you will be in the mix at NATS!! Good luck. Geff

PS...I spent my three sessions on Sunday working on the keyhole...seemed to pay dividends as I ran a personal best of 1:33.326!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GAS
We know you can drive Ken. It is most likely just getting used to the new car. If I was a bettin man I would wager you will be in the mix at NATS!! Good luck. Geff

PS...I spent my three sessions on Sunday working on the keyhole...seemed to pay dividends as I ran a personal best of 1:33.326!
Geff,
That is pretty damn fast. Isn't about time you get a cage and race door to door???

Randy
Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
GAS
Instructor

Hey Randy...FAST = DANNY POPP....but I am heading in the right direction. That DRM engine gets a lot of the credit though!! Anyhow, yep, WTW sure seems like it would be a blast but I can't bring myself to cutting up the Mallett for a cage. I do keep thinking about it though and if the right deal comes along on a race prepped Z06 I would sure like to give it a try before I am toes up!!

Hey, how is your bride doing on the training? I wonder....if she knew then what she knows now........
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by GAS

Damn Geff that's flying, what did you learn?

I'm watching the WC race right now trying to pick up some tips
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GAS
Hey Randy...FAST = DANNY POPP....but I am heading in the right direction. That DRM engine gets a lot of the credit though!! Anyhow, yep, WTW sure seems like it would be a blast but I can't bring myself to cutting up the Mallett for a cage. I do keep thinking about it though and if the right deal comes along on a race prepped Z06 I would sure like to give it a try before I am toes up!!

Hey, how is your bride doing on the training? I wonder....if she knew then what she knows now........

You do have the cleanest track car I have ever seen. Does it still have a mirror finsh on it??? That is worth something in the Aero world

She has been training me pretty well. It should be the other way around, but this is how most marriages work. Best thing that ever happened to me. Crap it's almost 2 years ago already. We had a meeting the other night about this year's racing. It's not looking goodBut better in the future, if I'm a good boy

Randy
Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 PM
GAS
Instructor

Ken, you probably already know/knew this but I was going back and forth between the diamond type line at the keyhole versus the more conventional arc type line. Sunday I strictly ran more of an arc staying about 2/3 out on the track to a point just before the yellow photo/flag slot about 2/3 way through the keyhole and then try to apex about at the end of the rumble strip. As you know, the car is really pushing because the track is dropping away and is slightly off camber so it seemed the real key was being patient with the right foot. If you try for two much gas to soon I was having to feather the gas at the end to keep from going off the outside and I was missing the apex. As I got more comfortable I was nailing the end of the rumble strips at full throttle and not going off the edge on the left. Seems real important to get that turn right because of the long straight. With the diamond line I was not able to get the car rotated enough to use all my acceleration. Just my thoughts. Geff
Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time I run the "double apex" or "diamond" in the keyhole is when I am passing someone on the inside at entry. Running the late apex line does require some patience. Too early on the throttle before it is completely pointed results in push. Cars typically do not rotate well after they crest the hill in the corner and it goes off camber.....

Somehow I managed to lower my TT record this weekend even though I never would have guessed that I could.....My car was STUPID LOOSE at all times withour a rear wing.......even on the straightaways.

Not enough time before Nationals for me, but if all goes well we should be able to go faster yet and maintain a balance on the car for the whole race. Something that eluded us all weekend......

James and I are going to have a busy couple of weeks.....................
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats geff on a good time. I want to see you lower that by about .3 sec in Sept. I should have said by at least 0.3 of a second. You know why. I may be @ Nationals but only as spectator.

Last edited by jackcasual; 08-20-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jackcasual
congrats geoff on a good time. I want to see you lower that by about .3 sec in Sept
So that means you'll be there to push him?!?!?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
:It was nice that David bought his Viper out to play he slapped on some new tires for Qualifying on Sunday and laid down a 1:33.6xx and swept
both races. A statement was made and he will be one of the top competitors in ST2 at Nationals if not the guy to beat. Maybe I'll have to tuck in behind him and follow him to a podium finish. and I heard he has some mods already planned
What to expect from a full-on T1 effort:

In 2005 (the last year the Run Offs were at Mid Ohio) the T1 pole was 1:32.000. Racing was done in the 1:33 range. And the track is faster now then back then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stan Wilson gets into the high 1:30s in his Viper.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA August Mid Ohio Super Touring Report

Quick Reply: NASA August Mid Ohio Super Touring Report