Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM RA banquet

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default NCM RA banquet

My 1st MCN event so I attended the banquet to get all of the NCM experience...a good decision.

besides having dinner at a top notch place, we got to share a few stories from Andy Pilgrim and his experience during the 2001 24 hours of Daytona with the late Dale Earnhardt, and SCCA WC competitor Randy Pobst giving a great talk about competting with Pilgrm in Andy's 1st big wint. Then Corvette legend Dick Guldstrand, who is well in his 80's, shared some Corvette racing memories from Le Mans and the early days of Corvette racing.

Pilgrim and Pobst were whoring themselfs before the banquet giving "the hot racecar driver will drive your car for cash" during the track time and I sat down next to Randy at the false grid while waiting for my student to grid.

In the short conversationI had with Randy I can not tell you how impressed I was with him being a very personable guy. Even though he drivers a Porsche race car for a living he was all about how the (stock) C6 Z06 he drove was faster (3 mph at the end of the front straight)) and talking about how great Corvettes were.

Guldstrand was also wondering around at the DE...

Nothing close to that in the last 35 or so events i've done in the past!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i will be going next year for sure to this sounds like a great annual event! especially with all teh big names attending!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick Guldstrand took the time to talk to my 19 year old son to talk about his time with Roger Penske when he started racing. He told him how he backed a car into the wall early in a race. Roger Penkse first question was "he OK". My son then asked him if Roger put him in another car and Dick replied "....hell no, he fired my ***..."

Nothing can beat that kind of interchange to a young car fanatic.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM RA banquet

Quick Reply: NCM RA banquet