Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA T1 Minimums (Z06)

Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default SCCA T1 Minimums (Z06)

I tried using the search function on this - many broken links which I assume will reappear once some additional tuning is done for the site.

I'm looking for the -bare minimum- prep for T1 competition. I'm not talking about being competetive, but just what you *must* have at tech to be allowed on the track.

[Items Deleted]

Must Have
- $50K up front
- $30K/year

;-)

Last edited by billla; 08-15-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
I tried using the search function on this - many broken links which I assume will reappear once some additional tuning is done for the site.

I'm looking for the -bare minimum- prep for T1 competition. I'm not talking about being competetive, but just what you *must* have at tech to be allowed on the track.

Must Have
  • Front/rear towing eyes
  • Fixed racing seat
  • Harness per GCR 9.3.18
  • Harness bar, roll bar or cage
  • Window net or arm restraint
  • Fire extinguisher

Should Have
?
You need to be legal with the 2008 SCCA GCR which is on their website. It lists all the min safety gear. That's what you need to be legal. Competitive is a whole different issue. You may was well read the NASA GCR rules too for ST2 then you can run both groups once you are licensed in either SCCA or NASA which is another set of hoops you must jump through.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must Have
  • Front/rear towing eyes
  • Fixed racing seat
  • Harness per GCR 9.3.18
  • Harness bar, roll bar or cage
  • Window net or arm restraint
  • Fire extinguisher

Should Have
?
Harness bar or rollBAR are not legal for Touring classes. Must have a full rollCAGE.

Here is a link to the SCCA GCR. This contains all of the safety rules, and Touring class rules..
2008 GCR

Last edited by z28cp; 08-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Also need to remove your airbags. If running with NASA (be silly not to really) also, need to have a master electrical on/off switch. NASA also requires (I expect SCCA not too far behind) either a full containment seat or a right-side window net in addition to the drivers window net. NASA requires a HANS-type device too, again, I expect the SCCA won't be far behind.

Probably need at least 2 sets of race wheels too - you can use stock Z06 sizes, but most all T1 C5's run 17x10 front and 17x11 rear with 315's all the way around. For the budget-minded (me me me!) this provides a steady supply of used tires to run on.

Like has been said many times before, I would recommend if you're thinking about T1 you purchase a car that is already built rather than build one yourself. In the long-run, you can probably get into a competitive car for less than what it would cost you to build your own "bare minimum" car.

T1 is an expensive way to go racing and not give yourself a chance to be competitive! Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need any info. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pick up truck and trailer
Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

This has all been great - I was hoping I could "budget" my way into racing but it looks like it's just out of reach
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

This has all been great - I was hoping I could "budget" my way into racing but it looks like it's just out of reach
There are all sorts of competative racing out there that is not wheel to wheel for us folks that can't afford that kind of racing!

Both SCCA & NASA offer time trial programs. SCCA also has Solo2 (auto-x). Check out the Northwest Region SCCA site. There does not appear to be a NASA region in the Pacific Northwest!

Also if you are just looking to get on the track there are plenty of HPDE events on Pacific Raceway, Bremerton Raceway, and PIR with various clubs such as PCA, BMW, and such.

Although it would be nice, one just does not hop into W2W racing right off the bat!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Bill, don't give up on it so easy. There are LOTS of way more affordable but equally fun ways to go racing. Keep your Vette for a car to enjoy, and get a well-sorted Spec Miata for $10k to race. Run the same pads and rotors ALL YEAR (I change all of mine at least every single weekend). Run spec tires that last 4 races and then cost $500 to replace (vs. $1300). Have 30 cars in your class in every race rather than the 1-3 I normally race against.

I've realized - in my first year running T1 - that the thrill of racing is less about being the fastest guy on the track because you have a fast car. It's more about getting to actually race against people who are in your class or similar-speed cars. You could learn a ton, have a blast, save some $$, and if - after a couple years - you decide to move up, take another look at the budget and see where you're at.

I mean no disrespect to anybody, but I would rather RACE in a Spec. Miata at this point than HPDE all day long in a ZR1.

Racing a Z is pretty damn fun though - the pain in my wallet is offset by the rush of adrenaline every time I run it!

Just my $0.02, but there are a lot of great ways to go racing and not do it in a Vette. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Solo2GS
There are all sorts of competative racing out there that is not wheel to wheel for us folks that can't afford that kind of racing!
Originally Posted by mikahb
There are LOTS of way more affordable but equally fun ways to go racing.
Thanks, guys - I hear you. I autocrossed a '70 MGB for years...so I understand And I totally recognize that W2W was going to take time to work into - I have done it before in SCCA Formula and I recognized the pricing would be a little tough...but I was hoping the entry requirements might have been just a bit lower. It's not as much about the money as my unwillingness to turn my car into such a track beast.

Unfortunately, I have very limited garage space and virtually no outdoor storage - I have to "run what you brung" and what I'm bringing these days is the Z06. I'll be doing Solo and maybe a little ProSolo along with the occasional track event.

I've started looking at karting at this point for a wheel-to-wheel that I can make work. Not quite what I was looking for, but you can't always get what you want

Last edited by billla; 08-15-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks Like NASA TT is a great option.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

I feel your pain!!

We bought a salvage C6 to turn into a track car. The "bargain" has turned into $100,000 after paying for mods to the car, trailer to haul it in and new truck to haul the trailer.

I would definately take the advice of others and look for a car that has already been set up. $30 K for a nicely setup C5 T1 car will give you alot of bang for your buck.

This hobby is not for the faint of heart or faint of wallet.

But it sure is fun!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Looks Like NASA TT is a great option.
It is. I am very interested in the NASA TTA class in the c5z. The reason is that the points are very, very tight... even if you wanted to mod your car, there's just not too much room to do so. You have to be under a certain HP to miss moving into the TTS class, and so there's a ceiling.

The result is some amazingly optimized cars. You get either the Z06 guys looking to optimize every point, or the C5 and other guys who can have more freedom to mod up to spec. The different approaches lead to some really interesting choices and cars. I really like the class.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yakisoba
It is. I am very interested in the NASA TTA class in the c5z. The reason is that the points are very, very tight... even if you wanted to mod your car, there's just not too much room to do so. You have to be under a certain HP to miss moving into the TTS class, and so there's a ceiling.

The result is some amazingly optimized cars. You get either the Z06 guys looking to optimize every point, or the C5 and other guys who can have more freedom to mod up to spec. The different approaches lead to some really interesting choices and cars. I really like the class.
All of that is true, but the reality is, by participating in ANY class, you are doing something that the majority of the population can not or will not ever do. So, if you do it for fun, the only difference between a winning car and driver and the last place finisher (besides bragging rights) is a $30.00 piece of plastic.

Besides, if we slow people didn't participate, the fast people would be sad and lonely.

The moral is: Jump in, the water's fine!

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA T1 Minimums (Z06)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCCA T1 Minimums (Z06)