Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look out for the Rocks "VIR South Course"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Look out for the Rocks "VIR South Course"

Well I got the opportunity to instruct at VIR on the South Course, my first time as instructor by the way. It was for Phil Wicks Driving Academy and Phil Wicks Racing. Most all were Mini Cooper students. We all got to start somewhere. It was a lot of fun on the skid pad and the South Course of VIR. It was my first time on the South Course, I like it except for the rocks. The south paddock has much larger stones than the north paddock. The north paddock has a lot of grit I would call it. On a hot day and with the tires hot, they get picked up and onto the track. When you first leave the pits rocks fly off the tires and go everywhere. I have several chips in my windshield from cars in front of me, not to mention some paint chips here and there. I guess you live and learn. If I run the south course again I will leave plenty room to the car in front until all the rocks have come loose. I wish VIR could redo the south paddock with the grit like on the north paddock. I use to not like the grit in the north paddock until I used the south paddock once. Now the grit would be a great improvement for the south paddock. Other than some chips in my windshield and here and there, the South Course was still fun to drive.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Well I got the opportunity to instruct at VIR on the South Course, my first time as instructor by the way. It was for Phil Wicks Driving Academy and Phil Wicks Racing. Most all were Mini Cooper students. We all got to start somewhere.
I thought last year you were new to HPDE? Did you run a lot of events last year?

Oh well--I guess chips are not avoidable!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I thought last year you were new to HPDE? Did you run a lot of events last year?

Oh well--I guess chips are not avoidable!
Yes, last year at the NCM@VIR was my first time at HPDE and I've done about 10 track days since. Many years ago I did a lot of Autocrosses and trophied several times in Autocross. The last NCM@VIR HPDE, this year, my instructor let me solo and also recommended me as instructor.

The rocks could have been avoidable if I had just laid back a bit until the tires were clean. Trouble was I had to take a few before I knew to lay back. Next time I'll know better on the South Course. Oh well, if one tracks their car there's gonna be scars from time to time.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's the case, I should be in Formula1 by this time next year, since I've done 24 days in the last 16 months...

Did I mention I was once a regional autoX champion and none of that applied to what I've since learned on road courses?

Mike
Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikelly
If that's the case, I should be in Formula1 by this time next year, since I've done 24 days in the last 16 months...

Did I mention I was once a regional autoX champion and none of that applied to what I've since learned on road courses?

Mike
I agree, Autocross and HPDE are worlds apart. I don't claim autocross experience as a reason to instruct in HPDE's. I was just saying that's all I've done in the world of motorsports along with a few other amateur motorsports things. My instructor gave me the go ahead and I took it. What else can I say. Take the opportunities when they come. This thread was actually about the rocks on the south course paddock, I just mentioned instructing because it was my first time instructing.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Agree 100% about the rocks......you'd think with the money invested in VIR, they could at least clean up the damn paddocks! I ran South a couple months ago, and my tires were throwing small boulders everytime I came in / went out. BTW, South is a blast, feels like a fast go-cart track after driving Full.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran south course for the 1st time earlier this year with the SCMC (SVT Mustang) club - lots of fun even though it was raining. Here's a video shortly after the rain - very raw track. Mike
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I ran south course for the 1st time earlier this year with the SCMC (SVT Mustang) club - lots of fun even though it was raining. Here's a video shortly after the rain - very raw track. Mike
Thanks for the video. South Course is a fun drive. I just didn't like the rocks but I think I know how to handle the rock problem now. It was only a problem for me when I first left pit road, I now know to lay back a bit until the rocks are gone from the tires ahead.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Congrats on becoming an instructor. It just goes to show that you can't just someones skill by how many years they've been doing this.

Hopefully next years NCM event at VIR will still be setup in the North paddock.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

I always say driving like bad for 20 years doesn't make you a good instructor.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I enjoy south course more then north course.

Take an instructor school, NASA, PCA, BMW. Communication skills as an instructor are very important.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Take an instructor school, NASA, PCA, BMW. Communication skills as an instructor are very important.
Yes, I can see where communications skills would be and is very important.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Taking a class 3 years ago and then not driving doesn't make you an instructor and for sure not a Chief Instructor, Poser......

You know everything about anything don't you.......

POSER...............
Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Yes, last year at the NCM@VIR was my first time at HPDE and I've done about 10 track days since. Many years ago I did a lot of Autocrosses and trophied several times in Autocross. The last NCM@VIR HPDE, this year, my instructor let me solo and also recommended me as instructor.

The rocks could have been avoidable if I had just laid back a bit until the tires were clean. Trouble was I had to take a few before I knew to lay back. Next time I'll know better on the South Course. Oh well, if one tracks their car there's gonna be scars from time to time.
So, let me get this right. You've done 6 weekends and you now instruct for the NCM? Wow, how do you do it? You must be one great driver. The NCM is lucky to have you......

BTW, who was your instructor that recommended you to be an instructor?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
So, let me get this right. You've done 6 weekends and you now instruct for the NCM? Wow, how do you do it? You must be one great driver. The NCM is lucky to have you......

BTW, who was your instructor that recommended you to be an instructor?
No, No, I didn't instruct for the NCM event, my instructor at the NCM event ask me to instruct at Phil Wicks Driving Academy which had a school on the South Course of VIR. I'm still a student with the NCM events and the first time I instructed I was only instructing Novices, I'm still learning myself but my instructor said I was good enough for Novice's at Phil Wick's Driving Academy.

This thread I started was about the Rock situation on the South Course, I didn't mean for it to get off on my instructing the first time, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it to start with.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

It's not limited to south course. Full course has the same issue also. Pretty much any track with gravel paddock would have this issue.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magnetic1
It's not limited to south course. Full course has the same issue also. Pretty much any track with gravel paddock would have this issue.
I agree bad all over but the South Course has large stones. I've only run South Course once and got two chips in Windshield and I've run Full Course 7 times and no problems. The North paddock has mostly large grit I guess you would call it and the South paddock has fairly large stone. The paddocks is where the problem is. The stone in the south paddock stick to the tires and when we first go out of pits a lot of stones fly. Not bad after first turn and the rest of the session but terrible right out of the pits.

Get notified of new replies

To Look out for the Rocks "VIR South Course"

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never had a problem with 'rocks', I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'noobs' in the instructor groups
Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Timz06
Never had a problem with 'rocks', I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'noobs' in the instructor groups
I never had problems with rocks on full course either, but I sure did on south course using the south paddock. As far as 'noobs' in the instructor group so far I havn't noticed any, but I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Guys with hoosiers are going to shoot rocks at you no matter what, tough to avoid, especially if you want to pass them.

Quick Reply: Look out for the Rocks "VIR South Course"