Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero on trucks and SUV's at work for GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Aero on trucks and SUV's at work for GM

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
GM offering more fuel-efficient pickup trucks,SUVs
Dee-Ann Durbin / Associated Press
DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. is releasing new, more fuel-efficient versions of its full-size pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles later this fall.

The XFE -- or extra fuel economy -- versions of the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks and Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs will get one mile per gallon more in both city and highway fuel economy than non-XFE versions. The boost will give them a total of 15 miles per gallon in the city and 21 on the highway.

On XFE models, GM improved the aerodynamics by extending the front lower air dam, lowering the suspension and revising the chassis tuning. The automaker also reduced the mass with aluminum parts, including an aluminum spare wheel and 17-inch aluminum wheels, gave the vehicles low rolling resistance tires and powered them with a 5.3-liter, ethanol-capable V-8 engine that has an aluminum cylinder block and heads.

Advertisement

GM stressed that the vehicles still have the same towing capability.

The XFE pickups and SUVs will be available in the fourth quarter of this year. GM spokesman Brian Goebel wouldn't say how much more they will cost than non-XFE versions.

GM began offering an XFE version of its Chevrolet Cobalt small car earlier this year. The automaker said it sped development of the XFE trucks and SUVs because of consumer demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles. GM's truck and SUV sales fell 23 percent in the first seven months of this year.

GM also offers hybrid versions of the Tahoe and Yukon and plans to bring out hybrid versions of the Silverado and Sierra in the first half of 2009. The company said last week that about 4 percent of its Tahoe and Yukon sales have been hybrids so far this year
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that work only yeilding an extra 1 mpg seems a bit dissatisfying.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse

Like racing pound here pound ther few HP for this it all adds up. When they do cars for MPG the sit and play with mouldings a door handles for a long time trying to tweak mileage. If they get 1 MPG it may be 25-30 miles extra per tank.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-13-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well, I give them credit for responding to the market. Do the easy stuff quick. At least it gives them something to talk about in the press and to show that they don't only make SUV's and trucks (even if this is about that).
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I tow a lot of miles with my Silverado. I'd kill for another consistent mile per gallon.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7% improvement in City EPA fuel economy rating. If a million Silverados were sold (as an example only) it would add up to a substantial fuel savings. Almost as good as inflating your tires. By the way most GM vehicles have had tire pressure monitors so the odds of people driving with the warning and tire pressure low are slim!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
0CorvetteRecycling
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69427
I tow a lot of miles with my Silverado. I'd kill for another consistent mile per gallon.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Most of that is from lowering the truck.

Its funny because years ago 2wd trucks sat lower than 4wd trucks. Then in an effort to cost save they went to a common ride height which lessened the mileage on the 2wd truck but cut down on complexity.

Now they are back to it.

There was a great article on Ferrari and fuel economy. I do feel that F1 and companies like Ferrari really do put their big dollar prices on the cars to work.

Ferrari says they have among other things a unique foot pedal package that will allow them to cut 3" out of a car and retain every other dimension packaging wise, thats at least 100lbs. They want to increase fuel economy 40 percent in 5 years. That costs money and they have it.

They are looking at active aero that change the aero properties of the car on the freeway to improve mileage, kind of what GM is trying to do but Ferrari would use moving pieces.

There were a ton of innovative idea's that would have real world impact in 5-10 years.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-14-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Forgot which cars but some now drop lower at speed for aero. It might have been the Bugatti but I doubt it is for mileage.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:17 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Forgot which cars but some now drop lower at speed for aero. It might have been the Bugatti but I doubt it is for mileage.
Correct, take a look at it...one of my favorite segments of Top Gear

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15...n-at-top-speed
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Have you seen the new ElCamino?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01
Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
guess they are trying to build up Pontiac. They should have built a El Camino rather than the SSR truck.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I just read in Automotive Engineering that Ferrari will be using titanium for their suspension springs. It will save a total of 66 pounds. I can't wait for the aftermarket to offer these. Surely Eibach or Hypercoil will eventually sell them. They won't be cheap but titanium production (and demand) are increasing world wide so we should see some benefit from that.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteRecycling
Especially when towing the trailer........I get a little less than 9 mpg with my F250 SD diesel, so an extra 1 mpg is more than 10% and a welcome sight with diesel prices.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by klasik-69
Especially when towing the trailer........I get a little less than 9 mpg with my F250 SD diesel, so an extra 1 mpg is more than 10% and a welcome sight with diesel prices.
9 mpg how big of a trailer? What year SD?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:09 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Originally Posted by burners
I just read in Automotive Engineering that Ferrari will be using titanium for their suspension springs. It will save a total of 66 pounds. I can't wait for the aftermarket to offer these. Surely Eibach or Hypercoil will eventually sell them. They won't be cheap but titanium production (and demand) are increasing world wide so we should see some benefit from that.
You can already buy titanium coilover springs. the new hotness will be this...carbon fiber springs
Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9 mpg how big of a trailer? What year SD?
that's what I get with my 08 F250 SD diesel pulling a 24' enclosed trailer - on a good day. Sometimes 7 mpg if the wind is up.

Get notified of new replies

To Aero on trucks and SUV's at work for GM

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But, if we just implement Obama's energy plan and just inflate our tires we can all probably get more than 1mpg savings.

(off to OT with me....)
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Range Rovers have been doing it for years. But if you take in the cost of having the option and in Range Rover's case replace the system a time or two in 100,000 miles. I would rather just have a truck, that looked like a truck, drove like a truck and had power like a truck. Last week our Subruban got 11 miles to the gallon at 80-85 mph, towing.

Randy
Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SS Racing
that's what I get with my 08 F250 SD diesel pulling a 24' enclosed trailer - on a good day. Sometimes 7 mpg if the wind is up.
speed kills the mileage also if your doing 75-80 it drops fast.

Quick Reply: Aero on trucks and SUV's at work for GM