Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Time for paddles?

Well guys is the new A6 with TM delete ready for prime time? It seams that we all know the Ferrari F1 shifters are the hot ticket but only Ferrari has a really good one. They shift on various models from 100-300ms/shift. Everyone complains about the A6 slow shift and mind of its own. Tuners are now tuning out the torque management to get "instant shifts" GM claims 300-500ms shifts with stock 2008 A6. With TM delete ownres claim instant shifts maybe constant 300ms???? I don't know if instant is really instant. So the time window is narrowing anyway between speed of 6sp Vs. paddle shift? There could be a huge advantage here with A6 for easy left foot brake/trail brake and brake control with shifting. also, there is claimed to be a tuner who has a 1000hp moving through a stock A6. Others calculate 700hp to be the A6 max before quick destruction. Either way it seems to be that we have some head room for engine development easy to the 500hp neighborhood to get to where the ZO6 is. What do you guys think? Why do you think GM has not jumped on this for the ZO6? They have to know what aftermarket tuners are doing.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 AM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cuz women drive autos? and, now i exit...
Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe
cuz women drive autos?
Fighter jet pilots don't row a clutch, and I don't need to be relegated to that practice either.

Yep, it's time for an smg system like BMW or Ferrari has, or high performance autos.

I track an auto, and I love it. I've tuned out a lot of the annoyances with HPTuners, but I still have issues, and keeping it cool is one of them.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

the systems in Ferrari and race cars are electronically controled manual transmissions, not slush boxes with buttons to suggest when you, the humble drive, think that it's time to shift if the computer agrees with you. HUGE difference. If GM want's to do it right, i'm all for it, until then, give me a clutch.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree, putting paddles onto an Automatic do NOT make it an automatically shifted manual transmission. However, if the ratios between gears is close enough, the torque converter locks up solid (like a clutch), and the shifts are quick enough, there is no reason it can't perform just fine.

I personally enjoy shifting, downshifting, and don't see GM doing a true manual autoshift anytime soon.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

IIRC from talking to some of the GM Engineers, the auto trans, especially the new A6 can not take the tq of what the MN6 or MZ6 can take.

And this maybe were some of the newer A6s are having TQ management issues.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancer033
the systems in Ferrari and race cars are electronically controled manual transmissions, not slush boxes with buttons to suggest when you, the humble drive, think that it's time to shift if the computer agrees with you.
Is there a big cost difference between the Ferrari/race car system and the GM A6 unit? Is that the driving factor?

I would love to see a true electronically controlled manual come into its own the vette. My big feet, heavy legs small corvette cockpits make for managing 3 pedals difficult.

Last edited by astock165; 11-20-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

rowing the gears is part of the fun...

I agree with everone here, the a6 paddle shift is probably alot better then the previous "manual autos," but it does not the same as the bmw/ferrari smg type trans.

does the new a6 hold gears to red line? or does the computer automatically shift for you? Every "manual auto" i have driven will shift for you if you get too close red line and wont hold the selected gear.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Agree with the previous, I had a 2002 M3 with the SMG and it was fantastic, nothing like an automatic really...

It does spoil you though..
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

You should be able to make something, I did on my old turbo car but that is not the same trans as you have. I put in a manual valve body, B&M shifter, co2 air ram, and electronic control. I put an upshift and downshift button on the steering wheel. I could upshift or downshift whenever I wanted to. The electronic control had an RPM adjustment for a full auto shift. I set that to 6,000 RPM. It was a fun setup! It took a lot of fab work to make it look decent as I had to cut away a lot of the center cabin trim around the shifter.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

The minute GM offers a true system like Ferrari or BMW or Audi, I'm going to go to the darkside.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by astock165
Is there a big cost difference between the Ferrari/race car system and the GM A6 unit? Is that the driving factor?

I would love to see a true electronically controlled manual come into its own the vette. My big feet, heavy legs small corvette cockpits make for managing 3 pedals difficult.
I hear you brother, 240lbs. and 6' 8" here.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

The best transmission/clutch technology in the world is the DCT, a dual-clutch system invented by BorgWarner, an American company.

Applications: Bugatti Veyron, VW/Audi (DSG) and it will come next year in the Nissan GTR and Mitsubishi Evo. Other manufacturers will follow: BMW, Porsche, etc.

DCT is better than the Ferrari F1, Lamborghini e-Gear or BMW SMG systems (all have only one clutch).

As for the cost, the transmission and clutch system is not much more expensive that the old torque converter auto like the A6 in Corvette. DSG is found even in cheap cars, like VW Jetta.
What is expensive is the development and testing, plus licensing costs.
These costs must be spread on a large number of cars.

DCT is the future, we will see it in all cars in 5-10 years from now.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

the systems in Ferrari and race cars are electronically controled manual transmissions, not slush boxes with buttons to suggest when you, the humble drive, think that it's time to shift if the computer agrees with you. HUGE difference. If GM want's to do it right, i'm all for it, until then, give me a clutch.
Yes but I don't care about that. I only care about how fast it will shift slush or auto manual box aka F1 so I can have an easier time maning all the pedals as a road racer. So while there is a huge operational difference the final results may not be so far off. I wish I had an A6 to drive and I'd report the results here.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I personally enjoy shifting, downshifting, and don't see GM doing a true manual autoshift anytime soon.
You are a racer IIRC. I agree but when I drive a 360 F1 on a road corse I am definately faster with the F-1 than w/o it in a similar ferrari. If I run a corse with 10 turns and can be done with shifting only 1/10th second faster that is 1 entire second/lap. And I think the advantage with not only faster shifts but superior pedal control and trail braking adds to even more time saved. I just don't have the driver skill to do what I can do with an F1 with a manual gearbox.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
rowing the gears is part of the fun...

I agree with everone here, the a6 paddle shift is probably alot better then the previous "manual autos," but it does not the same as the bmw/ferrari smg type trans.

does the new a6 hold gears to red line? or does the computer automatically shift for you? Every "manual auto" i have driven will shift for you if you get too close red line and wont hold the selected gear.
YES!. In stock tune no but if you search tune and A6 you will find tuners doing to the A6 what they did for C5 and C6 engines. They are mapping parameters to get the operation "you" want for your driving style. This is not done with an HP tunre but a more sophisticated device. A6 guys are swearing by the process.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2000BSME

I track an auto, and I love it. I've tuned out a lot of the annoyances with HPTuners, but I still have issues, and keeping it cool is one of them.
Have you considered the tunes offered by Jerremy in florida? and other forum sponcers who claim all knids of great things beyond the HP tuners personal handheld unit?

What measures have to taked to keep the tranny cool?

Does your A6 shift fast when you want it to and only when you want it to?

Get notified of new replies

To Time for paddles?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Have you considered the tunes offered by Jerremy in florida? and other forum sponcers who claim all knids of great things beyond the HP tuners personal handheld unit?

What measures have to taked to keep the tranny cool?

Does your A6 shift fast when you want it to and only when you want it to?
My A4 shifts very well, and holds gears as selected. I can't imagine any of the forum sponsors have any more access to alter the cars computer than I have. They may very well have a lot more know how than me, but the programs aren't that different.

My latest attempt at cooling the trans can be viewed here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1858595
Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

The last time I saw #s was when the F360 first came out and the F1 trans was something like a $10K option. I'm sure it cheaper than that now.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
The best transmission/clutch technology in the world is the DCT, a dual-clutch system invented by BorgWarner, an American company.

Applications: Bugatti Veyron, VW/Audi (DSG) and it will come next year in the Nissan GTR and Mitsubishi Evo. Other manufacturers will follow: BMW, Porsche, etc.

DCT is better than the Ferrari F1, Lamborghini e-Gear or BMW SMG systems (all have only one clutch).

As for the cost, the transmission and clutch system is not much more expensive that the old torque converter auto like the A6 in Corvette. DSG is found even in cheap cars, like VW Jetta.
What is expensive is the development and testing, plus licensing costs.
These costs must be spread on a large number of cars.

DCT is the future, we will see it in all cars in 5-10 years from now.
The last time I saw #s was when the F360 first came out and the F1 trans was something like a $10K option. I'm sure it cheaper than that now.
Thanks for the info. Why has it taken so long for this system/technology to catch on? The industry just being resistant to change or updates?

Maybe I'm just in the minority of thinking this is a phenominal idea.

Quick Reply: Time for paddles?