Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to obtain a firm seating, please suggest...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How to obtain a firm seating, please suggest...

I have a 94 Vette with sport seats .
The car is being tracked but also used as a daily driver.

I have found that C4's have great seats but when exposed to high G maneuvers even those great seats will not keep you perfectly in place.

What do you guys do to be more stable while driving, but keeping the OEM seats? Or is it very necesary other kind of seats, if so please suggest brands and model for the 94 Vette.

Could a 5 point harness keep me from bouncing ?

Thanks for the comments in advance
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use a 5-point harness in my 87 but the upper portion of the seat back is very narrow so I don't need slots in the seat back to hold the shoulder belts in place.

The later Corvette seats are too wide to keep the shoulder belts in place. The best seat design will have slots for belts and bolsters to keep your upper body from moving side to side.

I would look at a specific seat for track use. Most of these seats may not be very comfortable for daily driver use especially if you travel longer distances at a single trip.

Check out the Corbeau A4 as a possible solution. There are probably other Corbeau seats that could work. Corbeau has custom seat tracks that make installation easy but you wind up with a manually adjustable seat.

Don't know how well it could work, but maybe finding another 94 Sport seat for the driver's side and have an upholstery shop cut some shoulder belt slots in the seatback. You keep all of the functions of the sport seat and the harness belts won't slide off your shoulders.

There are a number of good harness bars available and the vendors will also offer harnesses and mounting kits. I have an R-D Racing harness bar in my 87 and G-Force belts. Everything was a simple bolt-in and the install kit for the belts uses the factory belt mounting points and retains the factory seat belts for daily use.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

a few things:

- buy some rubber tool box liner, cut a piece to fit on your seat bottom and sit on it. That will help reduce or eliminate most of the butt slide.

- a hockey knee pad. Put it on your left knee, and rotate so the pad faces the out side of your leg, that will help from banging your left knee into the door.

- harness bar- and 6 point not 5 point harness.

Remember harness should go though holes in the seat, not wrap around the seat back. The sub belts can come up between the seat bottom and seat back. You sit on the 2 sub belts. One sub belt from a five point harness will be a bit too snug on the family jewels

HTH
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kinkajou
I have a 94 Vette with sport seats .
The car is being tracked but also used as a daily driver.

I have found that C4's have great seats but when exposed to high G maneuvers even those great seats will not keep you perfectly in place.

What do you guys do to be more stable while driving, but keeping the OEM seats? Or is it very necesary other kind of seats, if so please suggest brands and model for the 94 Vette.

Could a 5 point harness keep me from bouncing ?

Thanks for the comments in advance

The biggest problem with all Corvette seats is the complete lack of shoulder support. You can install a 5/6-point harness which will help hold you back into the seat, but it can't keep your upper body from moving side-to-side. The only solution is replacing the stock seat with something that has adequate shoulder support.

I found the best solution for my daily driver and occasional track car was an aftermarket sport seat that I could install for the track days and then return to the original seat for daily driving comfort. I have a Corbeau TRS sport seat that I put into my C5 'vert before leaving for a track event, and I take it out a day or two after getting back home. If I were to do it again, I think I would get a Corbeau A4 instead. (The TRS is not a very good fit into the C5's narrow seat area, but I couldn't beat the price. I bought it used from another forum member for only $250.)

I've swapped seats several times, and I can do it in about 45 minutes now. I could probably do the swap even faster if I had a Corbeau A4 or some other narrower seat.

Be advised that the air-bag will not work with the stock seat removed (at least in a C5, maybe in a C4 also), so you definitely should use a 5/6 point harness with an aftermarket seat, to restrain your upper body in the event of a frontal impact. I also have a 6-point harness that I use only at the track, but it stays in the car, behind the seat, when not in use.

I can't advise you on specific seats for a C4, but the web-sites by the seat manufacturers can give you all the info you'll need to make an educated choice.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've even gone to the extent of getting a third seat from another C4 and taking the upholstry off and re-shaping the foam to make the center of the seat back deeper (effectivley increasing the bolsters). It helped but did not solve the problem. Part of that could be my size as I'm a big guy and probably need some SUBSTANTIAL bolsters to be effective.

The other problem I have is that my seat is bolted directly to the floor to increase head/helmet room so I need the clearance at the seat joint for my hips & waist that a once pc race seat just doesn't seem to provide.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
- a hockey knee pad. Put it on your left knee, and rotate so the pad faces the out side of your leg, that will help from banging your left knee into the door.
A Volleyball knee pad. Hockey doesn't have "knee" pads; just shin pads with integrated knee pads all made of hard plastic with a soft lining. :-) Volleyball knee pads are nice and soft inside and out and work well for the purpose described.

glen
(A relocated Canuck who is still on the ice 4-5 days a week)
Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to mention the fact that some HPDE tech inspectors are now failing cars with harnesses that do not pass THRU the headrest... Saw this last week at Summit Point.

They're starting to crack down gang, because they're getting more scrutiny from the insurance companies...

Mike
Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Not to mention the fact that some HPDE tech inspectors are now failing cars with harnesses that do not pass THRU the headrest... Saw this last week at Summit Point.

They're starting to crack down gang, because they're getting more scrutiny from the insurance companies...

Mike
You got that right Mike

Get notified of new replies

To How to obtain a firm seating, please suggest...

Quick Reply: How to obtain a firm seating, please suggest...