Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**In Car Video from LG Motorsports ALMS Tire Test- record setting Lap at Texas MSR**

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default **In Car Video from LG Motorsports ALMS Tire Test- record setting Lap at Texas MSR**

Hi Gys

This is the in-Car Video from the ALMS tire test that we just did at Texas Motorsports ranch on the 1.7 mi CCW track.

http://www.lgmracing.com/lgm-0720-almstt01.wmv Long version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6eP1_sNz3E = Youtube short version The best version

Again, this test was done in our World Challenge Corvette C6 in WC Trim with restrictor plate in place with the only difference being the Tires used in the test. We did a back to back test against our WC Tires to get a base line on those tires since the Texas weather can be a huge factor in any times at the track. The temp was in the mid seventies this day.

Tire info coming later.

This time is faster than we have ever been on that track including with our Trans Am Corvette w 700+hp.

This is a record for Closed Cockpit GT cars there also.

Data showed over 2 g's

Enjoy it

I did

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 11-23-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
mater
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi Gys

This is the in-Car Video from the ALMS tire test that we just did at Texas Motorsports ranch on the 1.7 mi CCW track.

http://www.lgmracing.com/lgm-0720-almstt01.wmv

Again, this test was done in our World Challenge Corvette C6 in WC Trim with restrictor plate in place with the only difference being the Tires used in the test. We did a back to back test against our WC Tires to get a base line on those tires since the Texas weather can be a huge factor in any times at the track. The temp was in the mid seventies this day.

Tire info coming later.

This time is faster than we have ever been on that track including with our Trans Am Corvette w 700+hp.

This is a record for Closed Cockpit GT cars there also.

Data showed over 2 g's

Enjoy it

I did

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

LGM
That's some good driving!!! NICE.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Excellent! Just watching I felt like I had to hang on a few times. It's funny, while you looked like you were going fast the first couple of laps I noticed you weren't apexing at the cone going into Horseshoe. I was thinking you hand a different line going but then "BAM" you start running some curbs all over the track and your line changed at Horseshoe. Then you really looked like you were going fast and the lap times were rippin'. I noticed you still kind of kept close to the inside just before you crest the bump. I imagine you drift a bit wider over things like that when pulling those kinds of G's.

What's funny to me is when I'm driving the weenie '65 Mustang it has so little power that it is a challenge to try and take Richochet flat. How's that for no power? I guess that's more reason to drive the Vette more. Anyway, very cool video.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine was? Nice running!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by burners
Excellent! Just watching I felt like I had to hang on a few times. It's funny, while you looked like you were going fast the first couple of laps I noticed you weren't apexing at the cone going into Horseshoe. I was thinking you hand a different line going but then "BAM" you start running some curbs all over the track and your line changed at Horseshoe. Then you really looked like you were going fast and the lap times were rippin'. I noticed you still kind of kept close to the inside just before you crest the bump. I imagine you drift a bit wider over things like that when pulling those kinds of G's.

What's funny to me is when I'm driving the weenie '65 Mustang it has so little power that it is a challenge to try and take Richochet flat. How's that for no power? I guess that's more reason to drive the Vette more. Anyway, very cool video.

Taking Horeshoe correctly requires a late apex but more importantly the correct "trajectory". In other words the car has to be "Pointed" in the right direction so you can get to full throttle without lifting. And thus reduce the time in "Limbo".

Limbo is the time between brake on and throttle on. Reduce the time between pushing the brake on, then off brake and feed throttle up to full throttle. The least amount of time that you can spend in Limbo the faster the lap times will be.

Don't get caught up with the cones, they are only there as a guide. BUT they are a good guide.

The other thing when searching the limits of the car and tires, is how one recovers from going over the limit. So if you push the limit into a corner and brake LATE, but maybe just a little bit too late, then the time can be slvaged by getting the car back on line and putting the power on asap.
So a minor mistake can force you off line but a quick reaction time and quick thinking can get you back where you should have been with the least amount of lost time.

One thing that I discovered was that the tires under braking could handle whatever I gave them. So when I broke 80% I missed the turn in point but by getting more aggressive with the brakes, I was able to "Pound the pedal" and keep the car in tight. That is what got the car back on line in the Horseshoe.

So That is why I always say that "the line is king' and when you get off line, the fast guys will get back on line in the most efficient manner.

Think of it this way; "Draw an 80" stripe around the track on the Perfect Line, and then go as fast as you can as often as you can without ever leaviing that stripe and you will be fast."

Later,

Lou G

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 11-16-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Lou, nice run. I covet your transmission. Is it front or rear mounted? How much?

Thanks,
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Looked to be quite a successful test of those tires. Are you evaluating tire brand choices still or is this testing of what you will be running? As usual it is a great in-car but maybe a little blurb at the end of the test when you got to the pits on how you thought the test went and to show that look of the cat getting caught with the canary in his mouth would be nice.

L.P.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I appreciate the driving wisdom and insight. How high are you turning your engines? It sure sounds like it is wound pretty tight.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default video

Great driving makes for a great video. Congrats Lou on the new track record. Makes me want to turn the Zo6 into a dedicated track car even more. You said you would clue us in on the tires.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Gots to have me some of them tires..........and maybe some more squeals.........and O'YAH, a bucket full of more seat time .....and then Lou....we'll talk

Very nice driving.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Lou, nice run. I covet your transmission. Is it front or rear mounted? How much?

Thanks,

The transmission fits exactly where the original trans was. It is a direct replacement and you use the stock Diff.

they are sequential and with our bosch engine manangement we have a "No lift shift" feature. But it is a dog ring box so you would only have to lift the throttle slightly to shift without the Bosch.

They cost about $25k for the transmission
But from our standpoint it was worth it.

The GT2 car will have an Emco Sequential Transaxle as a complete unit so no stock diff but that unit is about $50k

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti

PS, We sold one car already (the #87 car), so if any of you want the car in the Video it can be yours as it ran.

Let me know LG
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks Lou. I'd really like one, but my wife says I have all the toys I'm allowed;-)
Old 11-17-2007, 02:42 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** Lou...must be a different ballgame with those tires under braking! I'm going to send you a neck-strengthening device for Christmas.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

What tires were they?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:12 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by micro
What tires were they?
????Tires???

I know nothing

Get notified of new replies

To **In Car Video from LG Motorsports ALMS Tire Test- record setting Lap at Texas MSR**

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
????Tires???

I know nothing
All right Sargent Schultz

Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
racin4kicks
Intermediate

Nice video Lou. Car looked really hooked up and your driving was precise. I wish I may I wish I might.........oh well ...someday

Peace
AL
Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by racin4kicks
Nice video Lou. Car looked really hooked up and your driving was precise. I wish I may I wish I might.........oh well ...someday

Peace
AL
Thanks Al,

You know how it goes. Exploring the limits, hitting some exact and some not perfect but still the recovery is what counts.

And if you can recover without too many people noticing then its all good.

Thanks

Lou G

Quick Reply: **In Car Video from LG Motorsports ALMS Tire Test- record setting Lap at Texas MSR**