Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some autox tire advice

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need some autox tire advice

what are my options for street tires on my 01 z06 to autocross with and still be able to drive to an event on?

I've got two sets of stock 01 z06 rims to work with, so I could run 18" or 17" on all four corners if it would make a difference handling wise. One set of rims still has the original eagle F1 SC tires which are about 5 years old and completly shot even though they still have about 1/4 tread left. the other has some BFG 18" DR's on the rear which are basically bald and BFG 17" KDW tires which are almost brand new.

I've read some posts that the Nitto DR's are a good tire, are there any better options?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

How far are you driving?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

about 60 miles or less each way.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
about 60 miles or less each way.
Lots of people drive that far on Kumho 710s and Hoosier A6s.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I've read mixed reviews about driving on those types of tires... some say yes and others say no. I'd rather not spend 1200-1500 for a set of tires that I can't really drive around on the street with.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a street tire, like the nitto nt01, nt 555RII or the toyo RA-1. The NT01 seems like a more hardcore race tire while the 555RII seems like it would be more suited for double duty.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

NT-01 and RA-1 (being replaced with R-888) are the same compound and both made by Toyo (who owns Nitto). You can use those as street tires, but understand that not only will they wear quickly (compared to street tires), they will also pick up more road junk and throw it onto the car (esp. when they are warm; cold is not so bad).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thought about another set of BFG KD's? Or maybe Kumho Escta MX'x?

The KD would be stickier compard to the MX but the MX will be much less in price. If you drive in the wet, I'm not sure that the KD would be a good choice.

A drag radial just seem like it would not be a good autocross tire. The sidewalls are typically thinner so you could see some squirming and possible poor handling.

I would definitely not use autocross-specific tires like the 710 or Hoosier A-types for street driving.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

thanks for all the info so far. I did a lot of research last night and it seems most people suggest the Nitto 555RII tire for double duty of driving to an event and getting home. On Nitto's website they list that tire as an excellent track tire and not so much as drag radial as the 555R. The Toyo & NT01 I think are more hardcore and not suited for everyday use or wet weather so I knocked them off the list.

So now that I have the tires nailed down my next question is about which sizes to get. I'm currently running on a 100% bone stock 01 Z06 suspension and until I can out drive it, which probably won't be for a while, I don't want to upgrade. Ride height is stock and I just had everything aligned back to with in factory specs. The car finally tracks straight as an arrow down the highway, we'll see how it goes around a corner. I can post the alignment specs if needed but its nothing out of the ordinary since I do drive the car more on the street then anywhere else.

Would running the stock Z06 17"f/18"r wheels with 275/40/17 up front & 305/35/18 in the rear be wise or would I be better off with 18" all around running 285/35/18 F & 305/35/18 R?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Thought about another set of BFG KD's? Or maybe Kumho Escta MX'x?

The KD would be stickier compard to the MX but the MX will be much less in price. If you drive in the wet, I'm not sure that the KD would be a good choice.

A drag radial just seem like it would not be a good autocross tire. The sidewalls are typically thinner so you could see some squirming and possible poor handling.

I would definitely not use autocross-specific tires like the 710 or Hoosier A-types for street driving.
how do they compare to the Nitto 555RII? I believe the BFG's I have on the front of one of my sets of rims are the KD's and IIRC there treadwear rating is around 200 or so, compared to the 100 on the Nitto's I don't think they are in the same catagory.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I have Nitto 555RII's on stock Z06 rims in 275/40/17 front and 305/35/18 rear. I've driven them 260 miles one way to VIR and WGI and have driven in rain on the track and on the road. Wet roads - OK; standing water - WATCH OUT.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

If you want a very good street autocross tire and an excellent street tire get the Goodyear GS D3. They are more expensive but you will keep up with any street tire autocrossing and if it is the least bit wet you will beat them.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
If you want a very good street autocross tire and an excellent street tire get the Goodyear GS D3. They are more expensive but you will keep up with any street tire autocrossing and if it is the least bit wet you will beat them.
I'm pretty sure the GY's aren't in the same catagory as the Nitto's are, plus they cost more.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:16 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't you just hate to have a tire that has to pull double duty? I know I did (and still do), it got to the point that I bought a another set of rims for autocrossing and soft compound tires.

I did try various brands, trying to find a decent trade between grip and tire wear. I tried the Sumitomos., save yourself the aggravation. Crappy grip and they wore out faster than a lady of the evening on fleet night. The BFG's KDs did ok, but they wore out pretty fast as well. Forget Goodyear, when I used them they turned into bricks within a few short months. When it got wet (and in Houston when it rains it flat out pours and you have standing water everywhere) it was pucker time. I had excellent results with the Kumho Ecsta MX's on my old Mustang GT. I would drive from outside Houston, up to Texas A&M and race (my wife would co-drive the car) and then back. Plus autocross in Houston with the SCCA and the Porsche/BMW Clubs. Tires lasted about a year, with an average of three autocrosses per month. Two drivers and lots of road miles, close to 15k a year.

The suspension on the Mustang was far from stock (MM tubular k-member after a Granatelli unit broke on me) with MM A-Arms and coil-over struts with Koni Yellow Sports. Rear end was all MM as well. Made the car handle much differently. All told, I must have sunk about 14K into the engine, brakes and suspension. That's one of the reasons I sold it and bought a Corvette. It was one thing after another to try and wring the most out of the car.

I guess I am kinda weird, I would prefer that my wheel sizes matched, on the GT I ran 17 x 9.5" Cobra R's with 275/40/17's at all four corners. I could rotate the tires (and after each event I did) to try and keep the tread fairly even. I have the C5 wagon wheels on my C4 and would love to find a set of the 18" rears just so I could rotate the damn tires and have the sizes match. I cannot even begin to understand why a Z51 car would have different size rims and tires front to back. I could understand for the old ZR1's with more horsepower on tap, but not a base motored car with the performance suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To need some autox tire advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some autox tire advice