Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best racing gloves for the money???????????

Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default best racing gloves for the money???????????

what are the best driving gloves for the track? no worries on fire protection but its a plus! i will be dressed in cotton for HPDE's

last time my hands were super tired and got a bit blistered up, but man was it fun!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My choice was Sparco for comfort. Reverse stiching is good so you have no seams on the inside. If your hands are blistered you need to relax more. Take a few stiff drinks, of OJ Since you have no suit shorter wrist length would be my choice also. Cheap gloves may not last as long as a more expensive pair and cost more in the end.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use Simpson PosiGrips for track days. Very comfortable and Nomex on the palm and back. The gauntlet is not too long and there is a Velcro strap to snug them up at the wrist.

Summit Racing has them for about $90.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Conflicted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a pair of G-Force G5 gloves. They are comfortable and the price was reasonable (I only average 2-3 HPDEs per year).

I am by no means an expert (and I don't play one on TV) but it sounds like you have a death-grip on the wheel. Relax your grip, your hands/arms will thank you.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
My choice was Sparco for comfort. Reverse stiching is good so you have no seams on the inside. If your hands are blistered you need to relax more. Take a few stiff drinks, of OJ Since you have no suit shorter wrist length would be my choice also. Cheap gloves may not last as long as a more expensive pair and cost more in the end.
well.... it was only one blister and it was over 100 degrees and we ran a lot of sessions.. i ran outa gas!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the Sparco for several reasons - 1) seams on the outside of glove so they do not chafe your fingers 2) Gloves are nomex providing great fire protection 3) they are formed with a slight curve so that your fingers can grip the wheel easily and not "bunch" the glove material 4) have a soft leather grip surface that provides no slip contact with the wheel. Cost $125.00 when I got them two years ago. Best available for my $.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by rustyguns
well.... it was only one blister and it was over 100 degrees and we ran a lot of sessions.. i ran outa gas!
As a professional driver that drivers over 150k miles a year you MUST have a relaxed grip on the wheel. If you got one blister and your arms hurt, you were gripping too hard. Relax your grip. Going down straights flex your fingers.

I am not an HPDE instructor but all the instructors I have had have commented on the light touch I have on the wheel. My issues lie elsewhere I wish I could develop the right touch on the brakes. The right touch on the wheel allows you to feel whats going on with the car, yet maintain control.

I wil be buying gloves for the simple fact of better grip and no persperation on the wheel. I am looking for some that allow for a good feel on the wheel.

Bob
Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard to buy something like gloves without trying them on.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a nice pair of Nike batting gloves, even matches the car.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

If Nomex isn't required, I use a $10 pair of Northern Tools mechanic's gloves with a thinly padded palm. Had a good feel to them. I have a pair of G-force gloves that I don't use mainly because of fit. Glove fingers were too short and bunched up at the palm.

As someone else mentioned, try before you buy...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I didn't like any of the cheap ones better than general purpose mechanic gloves/batting gloves/whatever. It took me a while to try on everything else and cough up the $160, but i went with some higher end Sparcos. FWIW I'm a bargain hunter, so they had to be worth it for me to cough up the $$.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kanmer
As a professional driver that drivers over 150k miles a year you MUST have a relaxed grip on the wheel. If you got one blister and your arms hurt, you were gripping too hard. Relax your grip. Going down straights flex your fingers.

I am not an HPDE instructor but all the instructors I have had have commented on the light touch I have on the wheel. My issues lie elsewhere I wish I could develop the right touch on the brakes. The right touch on the wheel allows you to feel whats going on with the car, yet maintain control.

I wil be buying gloves for the simple fact of better grip and no persperation on the wheel. I am looking for some that allow for a good feel on the wheel.

Bob
ok ok ... i was wrenching on the car too and had to change wheels too , i really don't death grip the wheel, i learned not to do that in flight school

thanks for the ideas everyone very good info!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I went with the gforce gloves. Very happy with them...granted, I have never tried anything else, but I have no reason too
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Zee916
Pro

I like my Alpine Stars. Very comfortable and I use them for karting as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

these work well for me.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing...ufacturerid=19

I use them for racing and track days, have held up well.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
3) they are formed with a slight curve so that your fingers can grip the wheel easily and not "bunch" the glove material 4) have a soft leather grip surface that provides no slip contact with the wheel.
This is probably the best post here. Look for those features.

IMO the GForce and lower end Simpson gloves both feel like welding gloves. They bunch up pretty bad.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:42 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Sparco's ... on sale for $99.95 ...
Suggest light or contrasting color gloves ...
I use a set of black bionic driving gloves for every day ... was using them at the track ... (HPDE - not W2W) Instructor made a very good point ... wear a glove the guy behind you or ahead of you can see, i.e., contrasting color ... why? ... so when your mirrors are "full of car" as you're entering corner ... you can wave and acknowledge the guy behind so he knows you'll point him by at first opportunity - good to have gloves one can see thru window. Likewise, if you're behind someone and they give you a point by and you wave them off for the moment ... they can see your hand.
My gloves are light gray.

Get notified of new replies

To best racing gloves for the money???????????

Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
asp04
Advanced

Golf gloves from walmart, 12.00 a pair. Nicer gloves available from golf outlet, 30.00 a pair. Of course they don't come in pairs, you have to buy a right and a left.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Gloves

Anything you like from these people http://www.racerwholesale.com/
Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
racin4kicks
Intermediate

IMHO.....err towards the higher end gloves...especially if you plan on driving more than just a couple sessions.. Spend the money and make sure the glove isn't too tight. I've had great luck with OMP gloves for years. I bet the top of the line gloves from other manufacturers are excellent as well. Oh yeah....death gripping the steering wheel is one of the most common problems I see with novice drivers. Just like that silly game of golf...tension in any of your hand, forearm or shoulders is not good. I think the natural tendency for a lot of drivers who drive fast on the street is that they actually think they are bracing themselves by their grip.

Peace
AL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best racing gloves for the money???????????