Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know of any track days at Road Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Anyone know of any track days at Road Atlanta?

I have done the Panoz school thing a few times and really like RA. Barber has it now and they have raised the prices alot - from $375 for six sessions on Sunday to $450 I will probably do it, but feel like I am getting raped. Just curious if there are other clubs doing the track that we can join in on. TIA.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

mostly race groups, and NASA has HPDE groups. I'm not sure why, but Rd Atlanta has always been a tough track to find dates at (like NASCAR facilities have become). I don't know if it's cost, or that the track just doesn't want us.

Let me snoop around and see what I can find.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Peachtrea BMW has these dates next year

March 7 - 9
- July 4 - 6
- September 19 - 21

NASA has a March and an August event most years.

trying to remember my PCA login info....will post when I find info.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you still trying to do the Lowes thing in December? I would rather pay the $500 for that than the $450 for Road Atlanta. I would like to get to the track one or two more times this year if possible.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't realize Barber was even offering open track days. I thought after Panoz sold out the school time that Barber just dumped open track. $450 is steep for 1 day.

Good luck getting into Peachstate PCA HPDE. I've tried for 2 years. They fill up quick and easy and prefer it to be an all Porsche event. They will let us riff-raff in if they can't fill it. That is seldom. I've been waitlisted and had my check returned. There is also 1 Audi Club that I believe gets a date there and they fill up fast.

I asked Mark at Chin Motorsports if he would consider trying to get RA. He said he couldn't even get the time of day from them. I think they were still mad at him for running them out of Sebring Same thing with Mark at THSCC. RA wouldn't even return the call.

Paging Tom and Roc! How about a little NCM/GM pressure to get RA to let us run the NCM track weekend at RA. We so desperately need a solid Corvette Club like PCA is to Porsche. I know you guys are just getting started. But maybe you could start warming the trail with RA to see if they will even entertain the idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Johnny,
Try Peachtree BMW club or other similar clubs in the Atlanta area. They have good HPDE type programs, and they had one or two there each year. Haven’t checked in the last few years since I committed to racing.
Road Atlanta has never been cooperative when I called to inquire about track days. They either don’t return calls or just tell you to contact the clubs. Even though they know who has rented the track, they don't offer any info.
Ed
Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm planning to go to RA with NASA SE in March/April - really looking forward to it!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I'm planning to go to RA with NASA SE in March/April - really looking forward to it!
Grrrr, the March date is the same as 12hr of Sebring.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
speedneed
Racer

Default Skip Barber(Panoz) Track Days

What event gives you six, count 1,2,3,4,5,6, 30 min sessions on one day? I didn't get that much time for a weekend with Peachtree. I'm not knocking the Peachtree event, it was excellent, but I think 3 hrs of track time for $ 450.00 bucks is not that bad. Limit is 30 cars per group. My 2 cents. My favorite track so far.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put my vote in for the NASA SE event in March.....the Aug event was a blast!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I'm not doing Charlotte, but I'm planning on running the PCA event their next summer. My new house is 4 miles from Lowes, if Bruton doesn't close er' down. I couldn't ever get with the insurance lady at the track.

NASA at Rd Atlanta is great, but it is a race event, and lot of crashed are the norm. Jim does a good job of taking time from those that cause the delays, but big messes always hurt everyone a little. I should be at both NASA events next summer.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Pretty coincedental that I stumbled across this thread tonight. Forum member ffr1352 and I are kicking around the idea of trying to rent Road Atlanta in the near future. As far as the Skip Barber event in December, I'm signed up for Saturday only for $350. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

Road Atlanta
$350 Sat. - $450 Sun.
$700 Both Days
Participants use own vehicle

2007 Schedule
Dec. 1-2 SS

http://www.panozracingschool.com/Tra...Schedule.lasso

Prices on web page are not current.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by speedneed
What event gives you six, count 1,2,3,4,5,6, 30 min sessions on one day? I didn't get that much time for a weekend with Peachtree. I'm not knocking the Peachtree event, it was excellent, but I think 3 hrs of track time for $ 450.00 bucks is not that bad. Limit is 30 cars per group. My 2 cents. My favorite track so far.
Chin Motorsports. I could have easily logged 3 hours/day. 2 days on VIR Full. $530. You can get that 3 hours/day at any of their events. I will pay Panoz/Barber $450/day once if they do a 2008 schedule.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Pretty coincedental that I stumbled across this thread tonight. Forum member ffr1352 and I are kicking around the idea of trying to rent Road Atlanta in the near future.
No offense, have you guys rented a track before? Road Atlanta, if you can get it is very very expensive to rent And now with Skip Barbour taking of the track management, not sure how thing will be.

Roebling Road in Pooler GA is not expensive to rent. Two days with insurance ~ under $10,000. The same for CMP in Kershaw SC.

The kicker is the insurance. K and K insurance http://www.kandkinsurance.com/ which I have used is very good. However, they do not insure timed events, nor allow anyone to have a timing equipment at the event. Unless it is a Sanctioned race, then there are other factors. Also other there are other insurance companies that will insure races.

Insurance for a two day event will run $1,200 - $1,600 depending on what the tracks requirements are.
Some tracks include insurance in the rental agreement, CMP did and some do not, VIR does not.

Some tracks will not rent to individuals, but only to motorsports clubs or companies. Track dates are not always easy to get, as many tracks are rented two years in advance. CMP and Roebling are fairly easy to get week day dates, but not always weekend dates.

It took us almost two years to get to rent one particular track, but have it for an '08 date. ( details in Jan).

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-08-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the details. It's good to know that someone else has already "been there and done that". Please post details about your '08 event when you can.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Public info:

VIR June 30 July 1 ( Monday -Tuesday) Last year this event sold out in one hour 45 min on Jan 20th. 6 months before the event.
National Corvette Museum - VIR 2008

Putnam Park Oct 19-20
More info soon. With Z06 fest

Other dates to be announced in Jan 08
Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Seeing there are not a lot of options, I will probably do RA despite the price. I am pretty sure the Barber School will not do this next year, as they are just honoring the Panoz schedule, and from what I can tell, they don't do HPDEs. RA is my favorite track, but VIR is not far behind. The $75 per day price increase just stung me. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know of any track days at Road Atlanta?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Skip Barber is pigeon holing the Panoz Days. They are claiming they'll keep them if there is a good turnout in December. Then they proceed to raise the price to $700. It sucks big time. I'll be doing NASA TT and PCA for my RA events from now on, skip barber can .
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I got on the Peachtree DE event subscription list for next year. It looks like they do it 4 times a year. Hope it works out. Here is the link to their subscription site if anyone else is interested:

http://www.peachstatepca.org/driving/pca_de.asp
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Public info:
VIR June 30 July 1 ( Monday -Tuesday) Last year this event sold out in one hour 45 min on Jan 20th. 6 months before the event.
National Corvette Museum - VIR 2008
Putnam Park Oct 19-20
More info soon. With Z06 fest
Other dates to be announced in Jan 08
Tom ...
Good deal on the VIR event ...
Z06 Fest & associated HPDE-Putnam will be week of 8 Sep next year.
Trying to nail down the HPDE days vs the BG Fest days
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107613

Quick Reply: Anyone know of any track days at Road Atlanta?