Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 track car progress report... dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C4 track car progress report... dash

I haven't posted on this corvette forum much since the addition of ads in the first post, but I thought a few of you guys might like to see this.

Dash face is made out of 1/8" thick aluminum and was cut out on a waterjet cutter. It's held up with two triangle brackets in the lower center and two L-brackets on either end.

Dash top is a 84-89 C4 dash cap. It's made of very thin plastic and weighs less than two pounds. It has an aluminum bar riveted under it to strengthen it and is held to the face with five 1/4 turn fasteners. It's also wedged in under the windshield using a very light weatherstripping, to hold the front steady.

I still need to find something to cover the speaker holes. This set up should be much lighter than the factory set up, and give me plenty of room behind it. After I took these pics, I mounted the ALDL just to the right of the steering column, and mounted the two fuse & relay boxes under the right side of the dash.

Whatcha think?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

lookin great!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice. That looks way better than the gutted factory setup in my '96.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great.

A couple of random thoughts:

If you want to save a little weight you can get a lighter steel colum to replace your factory one for about $35 at Southwestspeed.com. Or you can get the collapsable version for $70. I just cut the splined end off of my factory column and welded it to the new one so it mated easily with the rack.

Looks like you have a painless (or equivalent) harness. I moved all of mine from the engine compartment to the passenger area up under the dash. It's a little more accessable and better protected, with a very minor improvement on weight distribution

Consider cutting another hole closer to the tach/ speedo so both your water temp and oil temp are closer to your eyes. I have the same configuration as you with OP, OT, and WT off to the right and it's a little harder to see quickly on track. I'm going to move OT and WT more into my line of sight. I guess I'll put a clock in the opening

Any progress on the ABS issue? I'm going to try to piece together one from a pre-ASP car and make it work over the winter.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Is that a kit or did you think it up and do it yourself? Either way it looks great. If it were me I'd go Porschesque w/ a large tach right in the middle of my viewing area, smaller speedo to the right, and water/oil/oil pressure to the left.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Looks good! Are you going to make door panels as well?

For the speaker holes you could use some plastic and paint it black, then glue it in.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Looks great.

A couple of random thoughts:

If you want to save a little weight you can get a lighter steel colum to replace your factory one for about $35 at Southwestspeed.com. Or you can get the collapsable version for $70. I just cut the splined end off of my factory column and welded it to the new one so it mated easily with the rack.
Got a list of part numbers you used to put yours together? I have been wanted to go to a lightweight column for a while.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Steven. I would second the recomendation of a collapsable column with a wheel that can be removed. Makes getting in and out of the car much easier after a cage goes in.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks great.
Definately! I already destroyed the factory column trying to take it apart to see if I could lighten it up and use it with a quick release wheel.

I don't know anything about racing columns and would be most appreciative of any info or write up on how to make on. Pics of your or anyone elses would be great too.

Looks great.
Looks like you have a painless (or equivalent) harness. I moved all of mine from the engine compartment to the passenger area up under the dash. It's a little more accessable and better protected, with a very minor improvement on weight distribution
Yep, a painless. I got the one with extra length to mount the computer inside the car. In the first and second pic, you can see the ECM tray mounted in the passenger side foot well.

Looks great.
Consider cutting another hole closer to the tach/ speedo so both your water temp and oil temp are closer to your eyes. I have the same configuration as you with OP, OT, and WT off to the right and it's a little harder to see quickly on track. I'm going to move OT and WT more into my line of sight. I guess I'll put a clock in the opening.
Those holes were cut on the water jet as well. I may put some bezels in the holes to angle the gauges towards me. I was worried about the steering wheel being in the way (line of sight) if I moved them more to the left, but I probably did put them too far to the right. I may also add some warning lights for each one. That would be a good idea.

You could add a wide band in your extra hole.

Looks great.
Any progress on the ABS issue? I'm going to try to piece together one from a pre-ASP car and make it work over the winter.
No, haven't even started on the ABS yet. I am going to try to get the '94 ABS system to work first. If I can't do that, I'll start retrofitting the '89 system that I have. I'm still a long way away from that though.

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
ME TOO! This car has not moved in 14 months.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Is that a kit or did you think it up and do it yourself? Either way it looks great. If it were me I'd go Porschesque w/ a large tach right in the middle of my viewing area, smaller speedo to the right, and water/oil/oil pressure to the left.

I did it myself. The dash cap is one my company sells. The aluminum face, I had custom made. I made a template out of wood, took it to a buddy's shop, they measured and wrote the program, and cut it out for me. It fit perfect when they were done. I had to buy a 4 x 8 sheet for a few hundred dollars, so they are cutting out a few extra faces for me minus the gauge holes. I may be able to get two or three more out of the 4 x 8 sheet.

I'm using 2 5/8 gauges. I couldn't have fit all three to the left of the column. I purposely kept the edges gauge & switch free to allow room for the roll bar when it goes in. It will probably come up behind the dash face and through the top cap.

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Looks good! Are you going to make door panels as well?
No. The roll bar will be nascar style and extend into the empty door shells.

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
For the speaker holes you could use some plastic and paint it black, then glue it in.
I think I may just use some black screen door material and glue it in. That would be plenty simple and light.

Originally Posted by Mojave
Got a list of part numbers you used to put yours together? I have been wanted to go to a lightweight column for a while.

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Looks good Steven. I would second the recomendation of a collapsable column with a wheel that can be removed. Makes getting in and out of the car much easier after a cage goes in.

Last edited by ZBRA; 11-05-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Here's as much as I can remember...I did this a few years back. The part numbers are from southwestspeed.com:

Starting at the bottom, the collapsable column (150-286, $102) goes through the firewall bearing (150-290, $12)

The collapsable shaft is fairly short, so I bought a regular one to extend it (150-280, $10). I welded a plate to the factory column support and threaded on a bearing in an adjustable rod end. I slid the extended shaft through it. I couldn't find the PN for the bearing, but it's not an uncommon part.

Then I welded the mandril to the end of the column (I think it came with the hub but not sure)

I bought a Sparco wheel and bolted a quick disconnect hub to it (150-345, $25)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

I'm hoping to get an ABS system assembled, the lockup is killing me. Although the calipers Jeff is going to sell me for the rear are going to help some. I just need to remember to call:o

Here is the view through the wheel - no problem to see the guages. The speedo isn't actually hooked up to anything, i should move something else there. I think my guages are smaller than yours, though.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 11-05-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Wow, thanks a lot for the pics! Really explains it well. You said you cut the end off of your factory column so it would bolt up to the rack?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Man, that helps a whole lot. Thanks for the pics! Do you have any pics of how and where you tied it in under the hood?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZBRA
Man, that helps a whole lot. Thanks for the pics! Do you have any pics of how and where you tied it in under the hood?
No problem.

As for pics at the rack...not sure if you'll be able to see well in there. I'll try, but not for a few days. I'm headed out of town this afternoon.

I should be able to get them by Saturday.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No problem.

As for pics at the rack...not sure if you'll be able to see well in there. I'll try, but not for a few days. I'm headed out of town this afternoon.

I should be able to get them by Saturday.
Awesome. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Took pics last night, not a lot to see.

I'll post them when I get home.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I pulled my old column out. I'm curious how I could just attach the new shaft under the hood right where it comes out of the firewall (like OEM). The factory intermediate shaft that runs from the steering column to the rack looks like a light weight and quality piece.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 track car progress report... dash

Quick Reply: C4 track car progress report... dash