Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Official, Alonzo Leaves McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default It's Official, Alonzo Leaves McLaren

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63742
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Hugs, hugs, "yes, everyone is wonderful at McLaren"; "yes, Fernando is marvelous"...

"Now, FA, get your sorry butt out of my shop."
"Sure, RD, you and your losers, you'll *never* have someone of *my* talent again."

Good riddance to the whole sorry mess. Surely 2008 will at least be calmer.

Now, ON TO NASCAR!!!!

Joe, thanks again for your work keeping the whole motorsports world available to us.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I guess that is not too much of a surprise. I think Mclaren thinks that Hamilton can now lead the team (which I'm not so sure he can) so they don't need Alonso. It was obvious they didn't get along so it is probably better all around. Pretty much like JPM and Williams, eh? Either way, Alonso will land on his feet. I want to see him do well but I still want Ferrari to win! I wonder where he will end up. I think BMW is looking rather racey...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Now they will have an "official" number two driver, instead of making a World Champion a number two behind a rookie. Go Ferrari

Larry
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I was a fan of Alonzo until he started his silly attitude stuff this year. I'm hoping Hamilton will do well as he's shown great promise this year.

I do have to admit that after being a big F1 fan for many years the racing just isn't there for me.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmmm, Toyota has a seat open next year and also has a BIG pocket book. It would be interesting to see if the cars are really that bad or if their drivers are just not up to snuff. I think that putting FA in one would figure that out pretty quick!!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Is that a different Alonzo? I don't recall his name having a "z" in it.

The writing was on the wall a long time ago. The question now is where he's going to end up. It's not going to be Ferrari with Massa signing a contract through 2010. I think it will be Renault. Flavio is used to Alonso's crap.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Is that a different Alonzo? I don't recall his name having a "z" in it.

The writing was on the wall a long time ago. The question now is where he's going to end up. It's not going to be Ferrari with Massa signing a contract through 2010. I think it will be Renault. Flavio is used to Alonso's crap.
It's Alonzo, as in Gone-zo!

I was thinking Renault, isn't Flav his agent?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Ferrari wins the championship for sure next year. McClaren wont have another chance to win without both Alonso and Hamilton because they wont have a Massa type second driver.

Though I'm very glad Alonso is gone, he really is hard to like.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ron Dennis has always been hard to work for. But then again he did build McLearn up after Bruce McLearn's death to where the company is now.

He is the boss, it is his way or . . .

Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The money involved at this level is amazing, $100M fines, $340M to buy NHIS. What does Kimi make at Ferrari? How much does Tony Stewart make?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Could McLaren make room in the cockpit for Kubica?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ron Dennis has always been hard to work for. But then again he did build McLearn up after Bruce McLearn's death to where the company is now.

He is the boss, it is his way or . . .

JPM said that Ron is a great guy when he's not in a work setting. He said that Ron is really charming when he's trying to get you to come race for him, but when you start working for him, he turns into a different guy. He said it's like working for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

That's probably why Ron is able to get some top drivers (in addition to their reputation as a winning team) and that's probably also why they leave on bad terms.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
The money involved at this level is amazing, $100M fines, $340M to buy NHIS. What does Kimi make at Ferrari? How much does Tony Stewart make?
I don't know what Tony makes, but Kimi makes $40M a year. Jeff Gordon makes the most money in NASCAR at $26M.

Geez.. $340M for NHIS? Rockingham seems like a steel then for $4M.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McLaren would be wise to get someone like Coulthard back, or a veteran driver who can mentor Hamilton. Coulthard wouldn't be that crazy to return to McLaren though, would he? They will probably get Vettel, a young racing buddy of Hamilton's who will be glad to play #2 just to be on a better team.... the question is, how well will McLaren do next year without stealing more secrets from Ferrari and benefitting from Alonso's car set-up expertise?

This season was certainly exciting!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Zee916
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what Tony makes, but Kimi makes $40M a year. Jeff Gordon makes the most money in NASCAR at $26M.

Geez.. $340M for NHIS? Rockingham seems like a steel then for $4M.
Kimi does not make 40 right now. Alonso makes about 26 million US from McLaren and Kimi is making low 30's, highest in F1. I have not seen the exact number.

I don't think that anyone has passed MS mark yet. Alonso would have if he would have accepted the 54 million a year deal offered by Toyota.

It is good that Alonso is leaving, even if he says that he wanted to try and work it out. Ron has made it obvious who the team wants winning races so Alonso needs to move on.

I'd love to see Alonso in a Red Bull for one year. They have strong Renault power and Newey is one of the best tech. They certainly had the speed toward the end of the year if they can handle the reliability problems.

I think Hamilton is in for a huge slap in the face. We will see if he can dial in that car to run with the best instead of using the same setups as Alonso.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Geez.. $340M for NHIS?
I keep telling you guys it is a really nice facility! I am not sure it it THAT nice however...

Get notified of new replies

To It's Official, Alonzo Leaves McLaren

Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I keep telling you guys it is a really nice facility! I am not sure it it THAT nice however...
I agree but there is something "really nice" about those 2 NASCAR Cup dates that the track has!!! I sure hope they don't runoff the club racers!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Rockingham seems like a steel then for $4M.
Andy Hillenbrant ( sp?) was the only serious bidder. He will have a NASCAR Racing school, promot more NASCAR Commercials to be filmed there. Attempt to get a NASCAR truck and Busch races and ARCA races. Two clubs here in the Raleigh area are working with Andy to have HPDEs there and NASA may have races too.

The county was hopping for a $120-$150 million dollar sale to keep its tax revenue up, but that did not happen

Burton Smith mentioned that he will keep the NHMS races for the next two years, make changed to the track so it is more fan friendly and accessible.

Hopefully that will happen.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-05-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zee916
Kimi does not make 40 right now. Alonso makes about 26 million US from McLaren and Kimi is making low 30's, highest in F1. I have not seen the exact number.

I don't think that anyone has passed MS mark yet. Alonso would have if he would have accepted the 54 million a year deal offered by Toyota.

It is good that Alonso is leaving, even if he says that he wanted to try and work it out. Ron has made it obvious who the team wants winning races so Alonso needs to move on.

I'd love to see Alonso in a Red Bull for one year. They have strong Renault power and Newey is one of the best tech. They certainly had the speed toward the end of the year if they can handle the reliability problems.

I think Hamilton is in for a huge slap in the face. We will see if he can dial in that car to run with the best instead of using the same setups as Alonso.
Here's Kimi's salary on the Forbes list. I think that's where I heard it originally.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/53/...onen_53XE.html

Quick Reply: It's Official, Alonzo Leaves McLaren